Kia Stonic

Thecarboy302

Fully agree.... Regardless of what car we buy, what's  the COE, the dealers will always spin enough stories to lowball the sellers..

And selling to used car dealers or doing a so called 'trade in' at AD is the worst possible way to get any resale value for your car. 

AD job is to sell new cars, they are not obliged to get u a good deal for your existing car for it makes no economic sense to them. 

And used car dealers need to lowball you as much as possible largely becos of SG unique vehicle ownership climate Cars depreciate at or over $10k per yr. You won't find such scary dep figures in any other countries.

If they can't resell your car quickly, they face the prospect of a fast dep 'asset' that would very well make them incur steep losses within a short period of time. A 6-8 mths wait at the parking lot is a death trap for most dealers. 

And with Cat A n B COE prices going down for the foreseeable future, and with more pple getting stuck with their existing cars with high COE, new car prices will be going down gradually. Who then, would they be in their right mind, to pay more or nearly the same for a used cars of yours? And mind u, used cars loan premiums are way higher than new, and for people looking for used cars, they obviously have limited budget on hand. It is even more unlikely that they will plonk down big money for your used cars at a price that you expect. 

This is the reality bro. The Stonic is a great little car, too small for 4 big sized adults probably, but for people who are single or just a couple, the Stonic is a great buy considering the amount of kit and overall tech you are getting for the price. The SX model is the one to go for. 

You buy it becos you like it and you can afford it. Not becos of SMLJ resale value. That applies to all new cars these days. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

And selling to used car dealers or doing a so called 'trade in' at AD is the worst possible way to get any resale value for your car.

AD job is to sell new cars, they are not obliged to get u a good deal for your existing car for it makes no economic sense to them.

And used car dealers need to lowball you as much as possible largely becos of SG unique vehicle ownership climate Cars depreciate at or over $10k per yr. You won't find such scary dep figures in any other countries.

If they can't resell your car quickly, they face the prospect of a fast dep 'asset' that would very well make them incur steep losses within a short period of time. A 6-8 mths wait at the parking lot is a death trap for most dealers.

And with Cat A n B COE prices going down for the foreseeable future, and with more pple getting stuck with their existing cars with high COE, new car prices will be going down gradually. Who then, would they be in their right mind, to pay more or nearly the same for a used cars of yours? And mind u, used cars loan premiums are way higher than new, and for people looking for used cars, they obviously have limited budget on hand. It is even more unlikely that they will plonk down big money for your used cars at a price that you expect.

This is the reality bro. The Stonic is a great little car, too small for 4 big sized adults probably, but for people who are single or just a couple, the Stonic is a great buy considering the amount of kit and overall tech you are getting for the price. The SX model is the one to go for.

You buy it becos you like it and you can afford it. Not becos of SMLJ resale value. That applies to all new cars these days.

How you know Coe prices going down in the future? You are just assuming only

How you know Coe prices going down in the future? You are just assuming only

Well how do you know it is not? Your assumptions to the otherwise is as good as mine right? [laugh]

I wonder will this stonic be good for 10 years lol... never own a Kia before.

Mazda 3 hatchback 79k vs stonic ex version 70k. Which one is better to go for? :)

You should go test drive both cars. 

Both cars should be pretty good in it's class..

Of course, touch your heart and ask yourself if the brand matters.

Take a good look at the Hyundai Avante and KIA Forte on the road. Alot are running close to 10years if not more. 

Edited by Huuray
  • Praise 1

Take a good look at the Hyundai Avante and KIA Forte on the road. Alot are running close to 10years if not more.

Running close to 10 yrs does not mean no car issues

Becos Mazda 3 is releasing new model next year. Stonic will be newer but I'm not good in comparing specs. I have tested both cars. And honestly I can't tell the diff lol. Brand doesn't matter to me so for specs wise is Stonic better?
  • Praise 1

Becos Mazda 3 is releasing new model next year. Stonic will be newer but I'm not good in comparing specs. I have tested both cars. And honestly I can't tell the diff lol. Brand doesn't matter to me so for specs wise is Stonic better?

If brand doesn't matter, handling no difference, comfortable with the small interior space, then I think Stonic might be a better buy with better equipment list and lower price.

With a 70+k budget, I personally will go for the Kia Cerato or the new Hyundai Avante for more interior space but I see that you probably prefer a hatch / crossover.

• Praise 1

If brand doesn't matter, handling no difference, comfortable with the small interior space, then I think Stonic might be a better buy with better equipment list and lower price.

With a 70+k budget, I personally will go for the Kia Cerato or the new Hyundai Avante for more interior space but I see that you probably prefer a hatch / crossover.

Yup u r right. I prefer a hatch/SUV. :)

One thing about stonic is that it doesn't have sports mode like the rest. I'm not good in cars. Wanna ask does sports mode matter? Bcos I think nowadays most advanced cars have sports mode? Btw SE told me cerato is not as powerful as stonic.

Yup u r right. I prefer a hatch/SUV. :)

One thing about stonic is that it doesn't have sports mode like the rest. I'm not good in cars. Wanna ask does sports mode matter? Bcos I think nowadays most advanced cars have sports mode? Btw SE told me cerato is not as powerful as stonic.

Sports mode helps to achieve better response at the expense of fuel consumption.. 

I don't think it matters, really. Most people I know don't drive on sports mode, they prefer to let the car cruise comfortably.

Definitely need a test drive to decide
  • Praise 1

Good thing about taking a 1.0T over 1.5/1.6 NA is the peak torque is available at lower RPM as opposed to NA.

So when u drive light footed around 2k+ rpm, u can get most of the power from the Stonic, as opposed to hitting 4k rpm for the N.A engine. This will help on the fuel consumption.

• Praise 3

one more thing u need to consider is vibration at idle..

i have tested drive both stonic and cerato few days ago..

its seem to me stonic vibrate more at idle due its nature of 3 cylinders engine...

cerato feel much comfortable for me at idle and overall legroom..

if for the price 4-5k diff, i would go for cerato...

jus sharing my feeling on these 2cars...

maybe for 10k difference then i will go stonic  [:p]

• Praise 2

Today was at ubi area and as wanted to see cerato.

Saw this cute stonic.

Exterior nice.

Interior plain though.

Compact.

But i like the design. Jin swee. Like an extended lifted up golf volks.

Thats a nice compliment i have for this car.

With the roof rack thingy this car looks great sia.

Kudos to kia for doing a good job

• Praise 1

Today was at ubi area and as wanted to see cerato.

Saw this cute stonic.

Exterior nice.

Interior plain though.

Compact.

But i like the design. Jin swee. Like an extended lifted up golf volks.

Thats a nice compliment i have for this car.

With the roof rack thingy this car looks great sia.

Kudos to kia for doing a good job

yes looks nice with the 17" wheels and roof rack..

but that is only for the SX model which almost same price as cerato ex...

15" wheel looks too cute on this compact suv... [sweatdrop]

• Praise 1

yes looks nice with the 17" wheels and roof rack..

but that is only for the SX model which almost same price as cerato ex...

15" wheel looks too cute on this compact suv... [sweatdrop]

Looks good. Good car for wife or ladies. Its not overly manly yet appeals for both sexes
↡ Advertisement