Harrier 2017

SKX

Well local journalists cannot write things like

" it was a total washout.. the harrier left the CX5 in its wake, and has better sound proofing, smoother ride and won't cost you more at the pumps or when it comes to tax time. The CX5 fights back with a sweet conti like interior and a snazzy exterior, but ultimately the fact that it's based on a smaller car and the weaker engine lets it down."

Not unless they wish to be blacklisted from future test drives...

No one is asking them to be lap dogs. Just call it as it is.

Don't say silly stuff that can be disproven in an instant by laymen with access to Google. 

↡ Advertisement

That is a surprising article from a veteran motoring journalist as Sheldon Trollope has been around a bit. 

It was a feeble effort to explain away the lack of power/torque by pointing out that the Mazda is lighter. Acceleration figures don't lie. 

I could go on further - Toyotas have traditionally, and continue to command higher resale value than Mazdas which drop like the proverbial rock. 

For all the perceived handling advantage, its nothing that cannot be easily added to the Toyota, whereas it would take a lot of money and illegal mods to bring the naturally aspirated Mazda up to a comparable level of performance. And if you wanted the soundproofing as well, that's also added weight which does not help the performance cause.

Trollope! Re-do your homework!

• Praise 3

You want really fun handling, Audi Q3, Subaru Forester, and VW Tiguan are even more fun than CX5. I test drive all of them.

Ya but we are comparing harrier and CX5....

Harrier could be more powerful for a 350NM torque car.

This is due to the front wheel drive... if it's AWD or RWD, it will feel faster.

TBH Harrier turbo and Harrier NA not very much difference in terms of take off. U put a harrier NA on power mode and it somehow almost the same feel as the Harrier turbo on normal mode.

Don't get me wrong, Harrier turbo is still a more powerful car. Just that the between 193NM vs 350NM cant really tell the big difference.

For Singapore roads, Harrier turbo vs Harrier NA is quite the same for city driving.

But if u travel NSHW, then the harrier turbo will be very useful and u can feel the real difference

I have yet to drive the CX5, but I feel that the CX5 would be a better ride than the harrier.

Edited by clement229
  • Praise 1

Harrier could be more powerful for a 350NM torque car.

This is due to the front wheel drive... if it's AWD or RWD, it will feel faster.

TBH Harrier turbo and Harrier NA not very much difference in terms of take off. U put a harrier NA on power mode and it somehow almost the same feel as the Harrier turbo on normal mode.

Don't get me wrong, Harrier turbo is still a more powerful car. Just that the between 193NM vs 350NM cant really tell the big difference.

For Singapore roads, Harrier turbo vs Harrier NA is quite the same for city driving.

But if u travel NSHW, then the harrier turbo will be very useful and u can feel the real difference

I have yet to drive the CX5, but I feel that the CX5 would be a better ride than the harrier.

Hi Clement,

2 weeks driving Harrier NA and 2 test drive of Harrier Turbo and my experience is certainly different.

Harrier NA is way under powered and yes, betta on power mode but nowhere near Harrier Turbo and worse still .... noisy engine sound with spirit driving whereas Harrier Turbo is fine.  Also must consider default mode and cannot be pressing power mode of Harrier NA and can expect 6-7km/l in addition to the noise.

Suspension of Harrier Turbo is also improved and it helps pick up as well as overall ride ... less floating and bulky for the Harrier Turbo

Cheers,

Richard

Hi Clement,

2 weeks driving Harrier NA and 2 test drive of Harrier Turbo and my experience is certainly different.

Harrier NA is way under powered and yes, betta on power mode but nowhere near Harrier Turbo and worse still .... noisy engine sound with spirit driving whereas Harrier Turbo is fine. Also must consider default mode and cannot be pressing power mode of Harrier NA and can expect 6-7km/l in addition to the noise.

Suspension of Harrier Turbo is also improved and it helps pick up as well as overall ride ... less floating and bulky for the Harrier Turbo

Cheers,

Richard

You are the first person that said "noise engine sound" from the harrier NA.. haha.. anyway thanks for the comparison
  • Praise 1

Hi Clement,

Harrier NA is way under powered and yes, betta on power mode but nowhere near Harrier Turbo and worse still .... noisy engine sound with spirit driving whereas Harrier Turbo is fine. Also must consider default mode and cannot be pressing power mode of Harrier NA and can expect 6-7km/l in addition to the noise.

Cheers,

Richard

Hi Richard, how is the noise level of Harrier NA and Turbo compare to FXT and FNA?
  • Praise 1

Hi Richard, how is the noise level of Harrier NA and Turbo compare to FXT and FNA?

Hi Gerry,

When not doing brisk driving, all engine noise almost same except fxt with ever slightly more intrusive typical boxer engine sound from fxt.

When pushed, harrier NA's engine is rough and fxt is probably a bit betta on engine noise than even the harrier turbo since more effortless but overall cabin of the harrier turbo is betta insulated from noise from road, tyres etc.

All these were on stock tyres and not sure their impact and the harrier na is 18 mths old, harrier turbo at only 500km to 1k km+ mileage which is not run in while the fxt is about 7kkm mileage.

Cheers.

Richard

You are the first person that said "noise engine sound" from the harrier NA.. haha.. anyway thanks for the comparison

Hi Clement,

It is during spirited driving and I do like to be 1st few cars off from the traffic junction ..it is noisy when pushed whereas you dun have to do as much to get going fast from standstill for the Harrier turbo for obvious reason.

Normal driving is fine.

Hope this clarifies.

Cheers.

Richard

Edited by richard_crl032
  • Praise 1

The CX-5 is indeed a better ride than the harrier but the equipment level (powertrain, not sound system, etc) of the Harrier is much higher and also more spacious. Harrier is still much better value.

Edited by andrewyewkc
  • Praise 2

The CX-5 is indeed a better ride than the harrier but the equipment level (powertrain, not sound system, etc) of the Harrier is much higher and also more spacious. Harrier is still much better value.

(must qualify that I m expecting my HT in dec so my view may appear unfair. Below were my and friend's experience and view of the test drive)

Test drove the CX5 2L this afternoon together with a friend (he sat at the back on both occasions) followed by BM's Harrier at Ubi today.

Our review was that the CX's engine sounded 'rough' when on acceleration. Can hear quite clearly the engine working. The interior is however nice.

Harrier was quieter. Can't really hear the engine roar like the CX5 2L. And the interior space was a massive difference.

We both think HT wins overall with points won on smooth ride, soundproof and space. Though CX has nicer interior which is superior.

• Praise 1

CX5 uses high rev engines, that's why you can hear it, same as my previous gen 2.4L CX5.

The 2L has 17" rims, so the ride should be good. I think new CX5 also has multi-links suspension, that should further improve the ride.

Edited by AFWE69
  • Praise 1

CX5 uses high rev engines, that's why you can hear it, same as my previous gen 2.4L CX5.

The 2L has 17" rims, so the ride should be good. I think new CX5 also has multi-links suspension, that should further improve the ride.

Yes, CX5's suspension was good as we tried in a few humps on high speed (SE asked to try) and However, did not tried the humps and bends on HT as diff routes were test driven.

BTW for those who might be interested in HT but do not want to be subjected to the 10k tax. HT Elegance is still available for Nov delivery (as of 30/8/2017)

Yes, CX5's suspension was good as we tried in a few humps on high speed (SE asked to try) and However, did not tried the humps and bends on HT as diff routes were test driven.

BTW for those who might be interested in HT but do not want to be subjected to the 10k tax. HT Elegance is still available for Nov delivery (as of 30/8/2017)

They added more into their shipment for SGP and all trim can get by Nov when i asked last weekend.

• Praise 3

(must qualify that I m expecting my HT in dec so my view may appear unfair. Below were my and friend's experience and view of the test drive)

Test drove the CX5 2L this afternoon together with a friend (he sat at the back on both occasions) followed by BM's Harrier at Ubi today.

Our review was that the CX's engine sounded 'rough' when on acceleration. Can hear quite clearly the engine working. The interior is however nice.

Harrier was quieter. Can't really hear the engine roar like the CX5 2L. And the interior space was a massive difference.

We both think HT wins overall with points won on smooth ride, soundproof and space. Though CX has nicer interior which is superior.

Ultimately, it is still the priorities in selecting the right car as an individual. If most of time it is always carrying 4 passengers, Harrier is the choice. If not, CX-5 in terms of interior design n quality finish as it gives better feel to the owner n driver of the car. Paying so much for a car in Singapore, what matter most is the comfort n good feel of the driver himself/herself. As for those sitting behind, it much depend whether they hold "VIP" status to the car owner or not. Or unless the car owner always end up sitting on the back center seat.

• Praise 3

They added more into their shipment for SGP and all trim can get by Nov when i asked last weekend.

Heard that it is limited to elegance and premium only. Luxury still bear some risk of ves surcharge
  • Praise 1

Heard that it is limited to elegance and premium only. Luxury still bear some risk of ves surcharge

Hi Camrysfe, u heard frm BM's SE? If so wow would be great cos initial delivery quoted was Dec.
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2