Kenwood DDX 917WS

weekiat572

Yes my S9+ can Miracast with 2-way screen control. If I'm not wrong, Miracast is always 2-way control.

Sorry, not familiar with Chromecast and other phones.

Just a minor correction.

Did some research ytd.

Only Miracast UIBC has touch control.

The older Miracast dont.

Guess that might be why my older OnePlus 1 and Nexus 4 and 5 dont work with touch on the 917ws even though they are Miracast certified under the WiFi Alliance website...

Sighhh... maybe need to buy one cheap newer phone.

I thinking of permanently placing a phone in the glove box with a SIM card with1GB data.

Then have it connected to the 917ws by cable to keep it charged.

Then use Tasker to automate a Miracast connection once Bluetooth is detected to be connected. 

↡ Advertisement

Just a minor correction.

Did some research ytd.

Only Miracast UIBC has touch control.

The older Miracast dont.

Guess that might be why my older OnePlus 1 and Nexus 4 and 5 dont work with touch on the 917ws even though they are Miracast certified under the WiFi Alliance website...

Sighhh... maybe need to buy one cheap newer phone.

I thinking of permanently placing a phone in the glove box with a SIM card with1GB data.

Then have it connected to the 917ws by cable to keep it charged.

Then use Tasker to automate a Miracast connection once Bluetooth is detected to be connected. 

What is your use case and advantage for mirroring over Android Auto? Video playback and unsupported apps in AA? Otherwise, why not just use AA? I've not tried Air Mirroring with a phone without AA installed yet. With my AA installed phone, the placeholder for Air Mirroring will change to AA once usb is connected and if I want to switch to Air Mirroring, either I need to disconnect the cable or need to pull down notification to tap exit AA (can leave cable connected). Also, as I seldom use, I can't remember if the default Air Mirroring is for Android or Iphone but either way, if I'm not wrong still need to click it first followed by clicking on my S9+ Smart View to start the connection for air mirroring which I think Tasker can complete the task but probably need to set it with timer and/or repeat if not it might give up trying since it might be dependent on when you click Air Mirroring on the hu. Btw, I tried turning on usb mirroring on S9+ but I'm not sure if DDX917WS support usb mirroring as it actually simulates usb connection and cos as mentioned I have AA installed, it will just detect AA again. Perhaps if there is complication, the power source could come from other usb charger rather than through usb on the hu since wireless mirroring is supported.

I did toy with the same idea of using a dedicated in-car phone/tablet for mirroring or AA. I briefly read I could use a software to auto power up/down the phone upon acc however, powering down may mean a long boot up time which will be my pet peeve. If I'm not wrong, Android don't support hibernate else it would take care of this problem but I didn't research further as I gave up the idea cos it means having extra hardware cost and monthly recurring sim cost and time maintaining 2 phones software. I read multi-sim plan is discontinued otherwise it might make it less complicated but regardless I still think there will challenges making all data on both devices synced which to me is the most important.

Would love to hear from you too what issues you think you may encounter and workaround that work.

What is your use case and advantage for mirroring over Android Auto? Video playback and unsupported apps in AA? Otherwise, why not just use AA?

**While Android Auto (AA) is nice, i would like to be able to use the full Android OS sometimes, so having this mirror is an additional option. Yes, apps that are unsupported would be one example.

I've not tried Air Mirroring with a phone without AA installed yet. With my AA installed phone, the placeholder for Air Mirroring will change to AA once usb is connected and if I want to switch to Air Mirroring, either I need to disconnect the cable or need to pull down notification to tap exit AA (can leave cable connected).

**I have an extra phone with extra data SIM placed in the glovebox. As I routed the USB cable that supports Apple CarPlay (CP) into the glovebox and the other USB cable that supports AA to the front console, I do not have your issue of AA autotrigger to replace the Air Mirror Toggle. The extra Android phone with SIM is placed in the glovebox being charged by the USB cable that supports CP.

Also, as I seldom use, I can't remember if the default Air Mirroring is for Android or Iphone but either way,

**The defaut Air Mirror (AM) should be for Android, as I think i read somewhere in Carbon Car Systems that some folks are looking for unofficial patch for IPhone. 

if I'm not wrong still need to click it first followed by clicking on my S9+ Smart View to start the connection for air mirroring which I think Tasker can complete the task but probably need to set it with timer and/or repeat if not it might give up trying since it might be dependent on when you click Air Mirroring on the hu.

**Yes, for the Tasker sequence, I have yet to put much time into it because I dont have a phone that works in the first place so I didnt want to commit. One surefire way is to use Tasker to trigger by voice command eg "Connect Air Mirror". This way its hands-free and yet on-demand.

Btw, I tried turning on usb mirroring on S9+ but I'm not sure if DDX917WS support usb mirroring as it actually simulates usb connection and cos as mentioned I have AA installed, it will just detect AA again. Perhaps if there is complication, the power source could come from other usb charger rather than through usb on the hu since wireless mirroring is supported.

**Our 917ws has two USB outlet. One for AA, one for CP. Can try connecting to the CP one.

I did toy with the same idea of using a dedicated in-car phone/tablet for mirroring or AA. I briefly read I could use a software to auto power up/down the phone upon acc however, powering down may mean a long boot up time which will be my pet peeve.

**I intend to just leave it ON on standby. It is going to be charged as I drive the car anyway.

If I'm not wrong, Android don't support hibernate else it would take care of this problem but I didn't research further as I gave up the idea cos

**You can set Tasker for it to go into Data Saving and Battery Saving mode once it detects Charging State has stopped once you turn off the engine. And revert back to normal once it detects charging when engine is turned on.

it means having extra hardware cost and monthly recurring sim cost and time maintaining 2 phones software. I read multi-sim plan is discontinued otherwise it might make it less complicated but regardless I still think there will challenges making all data on both devices synced which to me is the most important.

**I signed up for CirclesLife $0 dollar plan which gives 1GB to use per month. This is enough for me on the go. Otherwise, as I stay at ground level, I can still receive home wifi when I park my car. I also have another line from MyRepublic at $8 per month with 1GB Boundless Data. Which means no extra charges pass 1GB but speed will be slowed down.

Would love to hear from you too what issues you think you may encounter and workaround that work.

**at this point I think my main problem is getting myself to commit to buy another phone that supports Miracast UIBC. I already have 3 phones lying around and do feel that its pretty decadent to buy more... at this point.

Next is the CircleLife $0 plan, some say that it might not be $0 forever, so I may cancel it if it isnt.

I think the voice trigger method is the easiest, but not sure if the phone is in the glovebox, would it be able to hear my command.

Else the trigger can be upon Bluetooth (BT) connected (our unit supports 2 devices for BT at once). So if for whatever reasons AM is disconnected, I just need to disconnect BT of the glovebox phone through the Headunit and then reconnect again.

What is your use case and advantage for mirroring over Android Auto? Video playback and unsupported apps in AA? Otherwise, why not just use AA? I've not tried Air Mirroring with a phone without AA installed yet. With my AA installed phone, the placeholder for Air Mirroring will change to AA once usb is connected and if I want to switch to Air Mirroring, either I need to disconnect the cable or need to pull down notification to tap exit AA (can leave cable connected). Also, as I seldom use, I can't remember if the default Air Mirroring is for Android or Iphone but either way, if I'm not wrong still need to click it first followed by clicking on my S9+ Smart View to start the connection for air mirroring which I think Tasker can complete the task but probably need to set it with timer and/or repeat if not it might give up trying since it might be dependent on when you click Air Mirroring on the hu. Btw, I tried turning on usb mirroring on S9+ but I'm not sure if DDX917WS support usb mirroring as it actually simulates usb connection and cos as mentioned I have AA installed, it will just detect AA again. Perhaps if there is complication, the power source could come from other usb charger rather than through usb on the hu since wireless mirroring is supported.

I did toy with the same idea of using a dedicated in-car phone/tablet for mirroring or AA. I briefly read I could use a software to auto power up/down the phone upon acc however, powering down may mean a long boot up time which will be my pet peeve. If I'm not wrong, Android don't support hibernate else it would take care of this problem but I didn't research further as I gave up the idea cos it means having extra hardware cost and monthly recurring sim cost and time maintaining 2 phones software. I read multi-sim plan is discontinued otherwise it might make it less complicated but regardless I still think there will challenges making all data on both devices synced which to me is the most important.

**Carz73: Sorry was busy to reply. Hard to follow the discussion so I append the name and colour easier to follow.

Btw, Google Map and Waze is coming to CP for iOS 12.

Carz73: What is your use case and advantage for mirroring over Android Auto? Video playback and unsupported apps in AA? Otherwise, why not just use AA?

Psionix: While Android Auto (AA) is nice, i would like to be able to use the full Android OS sometimes, so having this mirror is an additional option. Yes, apps that are unsupported would be one example.

**Carz73: Too bad, Google killed unauthorised 3rd party apps access through AA interface since v3.0 or 3.1 onwards and then further through it's Google Play Services. Otherwise, mirroring, youtube, other app selection was possible before they killed it. Only rolling back AA and Play Services would allow such use but some apps may not work with older Play Services so eventually will be forced to update.

** My use case for having a second device is different from yours. The second device is to display Hybrid Assistant app that works with OBDLink LX to see my hybrid car parameters. I can use it on my main phone though I would prefer a standalone always-on view. So I was thinking why not put it to other use on the occasion that I need it i.e. AA and AM. Moreover, I hitch riders on my way to work and home so having Grab displayed on the phone most of the time is necessary and having AA on the HU through the same device (Grab account tied to mobile number so no choice) is very useful as Grab navigation request can be handed over to AA on the HU so I don't have to keep toggling between the app and navigation on the phone i.e. navigation on AA HU always on. That is the main reason why I dropped the idea of running another copy of AA and AM on another device besides the data sync issue between them. My main use of AM would be for youtube video (unlimited variety) for my children sitting behind but since I need the hu display for my own use and dual-zone source only support disc (lazy to burn to disc) and possibly tv input (with it's own usb source but lazy to download too as their appetite is so varied and big lol), AM is out for me too. For this reason, I did not purchase roof-mount or headrest monitor. I am presently using a tablet that I already have which I think offers the best flexibility. I plan to get 3 Amazon Fire Tablets which I think offers the best solution to my use case i.e. 1 device each for my son and daughter so no fighting over contents, their own sound source (hope it's good enough for them or I'll have to think about some solution), can bring along with them when not in car and one for Hybrid Assistant. There I rule out my own use use case lol.

Carz73: I've not tried Air Mirroring with a phone without AA installed yet. With my AA installed phone, the placeholder for Air Mirroring will change to AA once usb is connected and if I want to switch to Air Mirroring, either I need to disconnect the cable or need to pull down notification to tap exit AA (can leave cable connected).

Psionix: I have an extra phone with extra data SIM placed in the glovebox. As I routed the USB cable that supports Apple CarPlay (CP) into the glovebox and the other USB cable that supports AA to the front console, I do not have your issue of AA autotrigger to replace the Air Mirror Toggle. The extra Android phone with SIM is placed in the glovebox being charged by the USB cable that supports CP.

**Carz73: Don't CP work the same way i.e. once cable connected, the placeholder for Air Mirroring will change to CP? For AA it will do that. Didn't try having both AA (or Android without AA installed) and CP connected concurrently so perhaps then it will allow switching without unplugging.

Carz73: Also, as I seldom use, I can't remember if the default Air Mirroring is for Android or Iphone but either way,

Psionix: The defaut Air Mirror (AM) should be for Android, as I think i read somewhere in Carbon Car Systems that some folks are looking for unofficial patch for IPhone. 

**Carz73: Yes the link to the patch is above in one of the thread.

Carz73: if I'm not wrong still need to click it first followed by clicking on my S9+ Smart View to start the connection for air mirroring which I think Tasker can complete the task but probably need to set it with timer and/or repeat if not it might give up trying since it might be dependent on when you click Air Mirroring on the HU.

Psionix: Yes, for the Tasker sequence, I have yet to put much time into it because I dont have a phone that works in the first place so I didnt want to commit. One surefire way is to use Tasker to trigger by voice command eg "Connect Air Mirror". This way its hands-free and yet on-demand.

**Carz73: Good idea. The voice command is supported through Google Assistant or Tasker has it's own? If AA is in use, I know GA will still work with Google Home for those guys into Home Automation but not sure if it will work with Tasker as GA on AA is limited in use. Hope it's possible.

Carz73: Btw, I tried turning on usb mirroring on S9+ but I'm not sure if DDX917WS support usb mirroring as it actually simulates usb connection and cos as mentioned I have AA installed, it will just detect AA again. Perhaps if there is complication, the power source could come from other usb charger rather than through usb on the HU since wireless mirroring is supported.

Psionix: Our 917ws has two USB outlet. One for AA, one for CP. Can try connecting to the CP one.

**Carz73: Kenwood manual did not specifcally state AA must be used on the grey terminal unlike Pioneer's. It only shows "Android Smartphone" can be connected to both. I've tested AA can work on both. CP can only work on the black terminal. So as mentioned above if AA does interfere with Air Mirroring may need to be uninstalled if intending to use Android for Air Mirroring only.

Carz73: I did toy with the same idea of using a dedicated in-car phone/tablet for mirroring or AA. I briefly read I could use a software to auto power up/down the phone upon acc however, powering down may mean a long boot up time which will be my pet peeve.

Psionix: I intend to just leave it ON on standby. It is going to be charged as I drive the car anyway.

*Carz73: If I'm not wrong, Android don't support hibernate else it would take care of this problem but I didn't research further as I gave up the idea cos

Psionix: You can set Tasker for it to go into Data Saving and Battery Saving mode once it detects Charging State has stopped once you turn off the engine. And revert back to normal once it detects charging when engine is turned on.

**Carz73: Yes definately need some sort of power management else not so good to let it drain completely and recharge too many times. I read with a rooted phone, might be able to do even lower power state. Maybe somewhat like pure Android HU. Not sure about the details as didn't research further. 

Carz73: it means having extra hardware cost and monthly recurring sim cost and time maintaining 2 phones software. I read multi-sim plan is discontinued otherwise it might make it less complicated but regardless I still think there will challenges making all data on both devices synced which to me is the most important.

Psionix: I signed up for CirclesLife $0 dollar plan which gives 1GB to use per month. This is enough for me on the go. Otherwise, as I stay at ground level, I can still receive home wifi when I park my car. I also have another line from MyRepublic at $8 per month with 1GB Boundless Data. Which means no extra charges pass 1GB but speed will be slowed down.

**Carz73: lol I had the same thought with the $0 plan.

Carz73: Would love to hear from you too what issues you think you may encounter and workaround that work.

Psionix: at this point I think my main problem is getting myself to commit to buy another phone that supports Miracast UIBC. I already have 3 phones lying around and do feel that its pretty decadent to buy more... at this point.

**Carz73: trade in the 3 phones to get a new one that support or buy a cheap used one? Btw, our HU support RGB interface with touch control for a third-party navigation system where the unit can actually be an Android that do more than navigation. So it can serve the same purpose. The issue is often the unit is not cheap or with latest Andriod OS or with support to update the current Android version in time to come.

Psionix: Next is the CircleLife $0 plan, some say that it might not be $0 forever, so I may cancel it if it isnt.

**Carz73: the $0 plan need to maintain active usage every 3 months which I read there is a way to get around it charging to credit card. Can't remember the details or what constitute active usage i.e. will data usage alone consider?

Psionix:  I think the voice trigger method is the easiest, but not sure if the phone is in the glovebox, would it be able to hear my command.

**Carz73: AA users have reported it can't if it's in the glove box cos "Ok Google" voice trigger is picked up by the phone mic first time. Using mic assigned steering wheel buttom or HU mic touch or on-screen button can bypass the issue but if you are already using CP, it will be controlling CP input instead. Not sure if concurrent use of CP/AA/Airmirror is supported in the first place or at least with minimum intervention required to switch.

Psionix:  Else the trigger can be upon Bluetooth (BT) connected (our unit supports 2 devices for BT at once). So if for whatever reasons AM is disconnected, I just need to disconnect BT of the glovebox phone through the HU and then reconnect again.

**Carz73: Yes it supports 2 BT devices and there is an option to turn off BT but not individually. Your voice command must be able to execute as discussed above.

**Some things are hard to plan by visualizing or to know for sure until actually trying it. Like Nike slogan "Just do it" lol.

**Thanks for sharing and do keep us posted.

Anyone know where to buy the screen protector ? Just installed the 918ws yesterday :)

Nice! I saw they have a firmware update. Does the update make it wireless AA and CP capable?

Not using a sp with my 917 and have not heard of anyone using but it's probably a good idea cos I'm sure it ain't cheap similar to our 917 when it was just launched.

Nice! I saw they have a firmware update. Does the update make it wireless AA and CP capable?

Not using a sp with my 917 and have not heard of anyone using but it's probably a good idea cos I'm sure it ain't cheap similar to our 917 when it was just launched.

Haven been fiddling much, but the display is awesome, claims to be full HD??

Haven been fiddling much, but the display is awesome, claims to be full HD??

Did they claim to be Full HD? Full HD is 1920 x 1080p. HD is 1024 x 720p and that is the screen resolution of 918. In my opinion screen at this size won't be able to tell much difference. However, most users have only used resistive screen hu so the first time they use our both models capacitive screen which is what our smartphone use, they will be awesome struck lol, especially Pioneer users who only had capacitive screen until the recent launch of AVH-Z9150BT (even then no wide screen) with capacitive screen. If I'm not wrong Kenwood starting from 2016 models already have capacitive screen.

Did they claim to be Full HD? Full HD is 1920 x 1080p. HD is 1024 x 720p and that is the screen resolution of 918. In my opinion screen at this size won't be able to tell much difference. However, most users have only used resistive screen hu so the first time they use our both models capacitive screen which is what our smartphone use, they will be awesome struck lol, especially Pioneer users who only had capacitive screen until the recent launch of AVH-Z9150BT (even then no wide screen) with capacitive screen. If I'm not wrong Kenwood starting from 2016 models already have capacitive screen.

Oh yah HD, chill yah, dont need to throw out so much at one go.

Change from kenwood 7017 to this 918, display wise its much better.

Neutral Newbie

I also installed the new DDX918ws yesterday. Attempted to do the DDX917WS firmware update to get screen mirroring for iPhone but it wouldn’t recognise any files on USB. Done the latest firmware update for the 918 no worries. But no Apple screen mirroring.

I read on a couple posts up about a developers menu? Is that on the Kenwood or on the android?

Oh yah HD, chill yah, dont need to throw out so much at one go.

Change from kenwood 7017 to this 918, display wise its much better.

Lol that's me, always too detailed. Glad you like it. Don't know why there are more Pioneer supporters. Perhaps pricing but AVH-Z9150BT price may have caught up and comes with wireless AA and CP but too bad non wide screen 200mm models so not so nice in Toyota cos need the plastic trim. I'm disappointed with Kenwood this time for lagging behind in this aspect. Was waiting for wireless AA but they launched 2018 models in our region without it when US models with similar hardware specs have it.

I also installed the new DDX918ws yesterday. Attempted to do the DDX917WS firmware update to get screen mirroring for iPhone but it wouldnât recognise any files on USB. Done the latest firmware update for the 918 no worries. But no Apple screen mirroring.

I read on a couple posts up about a developers menu? Is that on the Kenwood or on the android?

I think Carbon Car System did mention in one of the videos the iOS patch for 918 not release yet.

Lol that's me, always too detailed. Glad you like it. Don't know why there are more Pioneer supporters. Perhaps pricing but AVH-Z9150BT price may have caught up and comes with wireless AA and CP but too bad non wide screen 200mm models so not so nice in Toyota cos need the plastic trim. I'm disappointed with Kenwood this time for lagging behind in this aspect. Was waiting for wireless AA but they launched 2018 models in our region without it when US models with similar hardware specs have it.

I think Carbon Car System did mention in one of the videos the iOS patch for 918 not release yet.

Wah, u very passionate, salute. Went to add a the galactio gps unit , not too bad .. garmin would be ideal

Wah, u very passionate, salute. Went to add a the galactio gps unit , not too bad .. garmin would be ideal

The Galactio good unit is through the RGB 3rd party interface right? Was quoted $2XX to $3XX+ then was told map updates not free and infrequent like once a year and lock to the SD card. By right the map is updated monthly frequently for free at malfreemaps but unless find the means to unlock, it can't be used. I used to do that for Garmin PND and Windows Mobile Garmin XT but now using AA I find live traffic and handfree voice integration beats everything. Garmin routing was very good though when I last used many years ago.

The Galactio good unit is through the RGB 3rd party interface right? Was quoted $2XX to $3XX+ then was told map updates not free and infrequent like once a year and lock to the SD card. By right the map is updated monthly frequently for free at malfreemaps but unless find the means to unlock, it can't be used. I used to do that for Garmin PND and Windows Mobile Garmin XT but now using AA I find live traffic and handfree voice integration beats everything. Garmin routing was very good though when I last used many years ago.

$2xx plus is cheap, got mine close to $400 .. :(

But unit is ok, re-route is quite fast.. but display wise... not so nice

Will check on the map update

Tried my setup for about 3 days. You are right.

Here are some findings.

Yes both cable supports AA, so if you want to Airmirror, your connected phone needs to uninstall AA.

When AA is connected, selecting the phone icon on HOME screen of the unit automatically goes into AA's Phone Menu.

Bluetooth icon of the unit will be disabled, but u can still stream music via bluetooth using voice command or automation.

You can connect 2 phones to bluetooth of the unit but one will be disconnected the moment the other is connected via AA.

I have been encountering this issue recently . Changed several cables but still have the same issue. Wonder wats wrong?

Using Android Auto? What phone?

If you are using the Kenwood extension cable or any extension or aux port, don't. Direct connection is the most stable.

If existing phone, check for lint on your usb connectors.

If newer USB3.0/3.1 Type-C phones, they have stricter cable requirements i.e. USB-IF certified with 56k ohm pull-up resistor. Specs may not be published but look for the USB Superspeed or Superspeed + logo to be certain. 1.2m is more than enough. Longer may cause voltage drop, especially when used with extension.

Read this to understand more: USB Type C and 3.1: clearing up the confusion

Lastly, some phones' recent Oreo 8.0/8.1 update breaks USB connection where even connecting to PC cannot be detected.

Using Android Auto? What phone?

If you are using the Kenwood extension cable or any extension or aux port, don't. Direct connection is the most stable.

If existing phone, check for lint on your usb connectors.

If newer USB3.0/3.1 Type-C phones, they have stricter cable requirements i.e. USB-IF certified with 56k ohm pull-up resistor. Specs may not be published but look for the USB Superspeed or Superspeed + logo to be certain. 1.2m is more than enough. Longer may cause voltage drop, especially when used with extension.

Read this to understand more: USB Type C and 3.1: clearing up the confusion

Lastly, some phones' recent Oreo 8.0/8.1 update breaks USB connection where even connecting to PC cannot be detected.

I m using Android Auto on my note 8. Connecting via the direct connection from the black color port . 

I m using those high speed type C cables which i bought from challenger when i encountered tis issue . My previous few cables which i bought from taobao actually connected wif no issue . Too bad i misplaced them at my workplace so bought replacements at challenger. 

Any recommendations on wat particular cables to buy ?

↡ Advertisement