Kenwood DDX 917WS

weekiat572

Neutral Newbie

unfortunately no. haha.. I am on Android as well. It's a game of functionality vs Sound Quality. If buying locally, only some of the Alpine models have Optical Output. 

If getting a AA/CP, try to get a Head Unit with Wireless AA/CP. The older models require cables (which can be quite annoying).

Which HU you using and will recommend? If no optical, so be it, but have to make sure that analogue output quality is as good as possible.

↡ Advertisement

Not sure why... but most Pioneer HU still uses resistive touch screen which made them look and feel cheap where as Kenwood or even unbranded Chinese made android HU are already on capacitive. 

Which HU you using and will recommend? If no optical, so be it, but have to make sure that analogue output quality is as good as possible.

Alpine 957. Alternate is the Clarion 807. If its a non-optical, will recommend Kenwood.

Yeah but surprisingly no wireless Android Auto when US 2018 equivalent models will be supporting. Without which, the other features are not much of an upgrade. i.e. HD screen on such small screen will not make a difference. Though Kenwood tends to have better specs and features, they are expensive and slow to release in SG and limited in stocks. It's accessories suffer the same fate. i.e. Japan already has the upgraded DRV-N530 dual dashcam while rest of the world only just got the older single channel DRV-N520. Their Whetron HD 2D / 3D AVM System will too surely cost a bomb.

tried to finding the AVM, doesn't seem to be available in Singapore.

Just changed car and it has Kenwood ddx 917ws. Headed down to Link Auto and have the GPS connected. After installing and left . On the way tried the gps and I got the opening screen of the Galactio map and after keying the destination, it shows the route and then it gives error like NO Signal. What to check, I am not good in media handling and also a senior so any help will be appreciated. 

Turbocharged

Just changed car and it has Kenwood ddx 917ws. Headed down to Link Auto and have the GPS connected. After installing and left . On the way tried the gps and I got the opening screen of the Galactio map and after keying the destination, it shows the route and then it gives error like NO Signal. What to check, I am not good in media handling and also a senior so any help will be appreciated. 

suggest to go back to Link Auto to ask them. As they did the connection for you.

I assume u already have the Singapore map installed?

suggest to go back to Link Auto to ask them. As they did the connection for you.

I assume u already have the Singapore map installed?

I went back and they changed another set, tested was ok, left and then it happened again , No Signal. Funny thing is that if I switched it off and then turn on the set. It comes back with map but later again shows no signal. Pd so much just to add it to the head unit and this kind of things happening. My question is, is it software or hardware or settings ? 

(edited)

I went back and they changed another set, tested was ok, left and then it happened again , No Signal. Funny thing is that if I switched it off and then turn on the set. It comes back with map but later again shows no signal. Pd so much just to add it to the head unit and this kind of things happening. My question is, is it software or hardware or settings ? 

Not familiar with addon GPS module but if you are using a smartphone why not use Android Auto or Car Play? These 2 are so much better with live maps (Waze and Google Maps) without the need to pay for map updates.

Edited by Carz73

Not familiar with addon GPS module but if you are using a smartphone why not use Android Auto or Car Play? These 2 are so much better with live maps (Waze and Google Maps) without the need to pay for map updates.

That was my mistake and should not add on the unit. Now that it is fixed, I can not return it. They have to fix it till it works. Like what you have mentioned, those updates , will it help ? Think the car was registered end Dec 2017 , and I suppose the set is not updated.

That was my mistake and should not add on the unit. Now that it is fixed, I can not return it. They have to fix it till it works. Like what you have mentioned, those updates , will it help ? Think the car was registered end Dec 2017 , and I suppose the set is not updated.

Oh so the car already came with DDX917WS. In that case, the firmware might be outdated so is good to check and update.

Use this link to get the firmware and update guide.

If it does not help, likely is the Galactio module issue and yes they have to fix it else insist on refund.

Link Auto boss Ah Put seems like a nice guy when I enquired about DDX917WS as well as Galactio module so hopefully things can be settled nicely for you.

I was told his box (iirc he mentioned is black colour) is not from Galactio itself (grey colour) so I'm not sure how is Galactio software and its map updated. The map update I was referring that is not free is directly from Galactio and is somehow locked to the sd card.

Hope this helps.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

that's weird.

best to go back ask them to settle it.

hard to diagnose it here like that in forum

for such add-on 3rd party GPS module, I think its just a aux input for the screen, like my Papago with Pioneer.

I had one weird issue with no signal but found it was due to the way the excess gps cable was coiled and stored. Found a safe position to store it and problem solved. But it's not intermittent issue like yours.

possible but it doesn't explain why it works when test in the shop

Not sure too. Perhaps the test was not thorough enough (under shelter no signal lock or in open but stationary so GPS location does not change thus bug not trigger?) and will only magnifest while traveling since the bug stated in the article is one of timing i.e. "When GPS time is used for navigation, "a nanosecond error in GPS time can equate to one foot of position error".

Thanks for the input.....guys....I have spoken with Ah Put of Link auto, well he said it maybe due to the wiring for power which is causing it to behave in this manner. Only comes this Saturday, will I be able to update you guys on how it goes. Also need to play with Android Auto to see if all else gone wrong and have to discard this addition. Will inform comes Saturday.

• Praise 1

Just an update. It is rather unfortunate that the Kenwood 917WS of mine do not support the 3rd party add-on GPS. Ah Put tried to redo the wiring but it is still not successful. Link Auto accessories was kind enough to refund the money. Too bad, now got to use my phone's Here We Go maps.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1