Kenwood DDX 917WS

weekiat572

I confirmed twice that long press on steering button will fast forward the mp3 song. It's like long press on the screen button will fast track the song. Thus, I am not should if this is counted as "can"

AA: Android Auto?

I am IOS user, no chance to test anything because IOS 11 cannot communicate with this HU yet.

Your stock reverse Camera cannot access to do any adjustment beside guide line? Same here.

For the firmware, maybe they are waiting for IOS 12??

↡ Advertisement

I have confirmed with Kenwood SG it does not support dual function for steering wheel buttons i.e. long and short press.

So unless we have more buttons to assign, in this case fast forward action, we need to get one of these modules I mentioned earlier that support long and short press button assignment. Either should work within Kenwood music player.

However, I doubt fast forward is supported if used within AA as I think AA music apps still do not have this function. I may be wrong though so those with additional buttons or such modules may be able to advise.

As for mp3 file name and title display, I didn't pay much attention as I use AA exclusively and mostly with Spotify but I thought it already auto scroll within Kenwood music player?

On a side note, there is still no news on the new firmware as well as the camera view display. One of the manager at Kenwood could get his camera view working for both his front dash Kenwood DRV-N520 and Kenwood CMOS-130 reverse camera. The CMOS-130 is just a normal reverse cam so there is no reason why camera view is not working for the rest of us.

His was installed by Ah Put from Link Auto, so maybe @Weekiat572 can check with Ah Put as yours is also installed there.

Lol  i havnt gone back to Link Auto ever since i collected my car. Btw , has anyone installed 2 cams on the ddx 917 ? Heard tat if installed both cams , 1 can be used as a front parking camera ?

Lol  i havnt gone back to Link Auto ever since i collected my car. Btw , has anyone installed 2 cams on the ddx 917 ? Heard tat if installed both cams , 1 can be used as a front parking camera ?

That is exactly what I intend to do but have yet to install the front cam due to view camera function I mentioned in the earlier posts is not even working for the reverse cam.

The manual did not state it needs both cam to work. Furthermore, for either front or rear cam, there is option to choose the type of cam used or off if not using. So it should mean view camera function should be able to work with just 1 rear view camera of any brand even with the front set as off. However, it will not even show the screen as shown on pg 54 though the area marked as 2 to exit the camera screen can be selected to exit. Thinking perhaps view camera function needs the front cam as well, I also tried to set the front as Other as well as CMOS 3 Series. I even tried setting as dashcam. By right the hu will not be able to tell it's not installed and will just display a blank view. However, the camera screen is still not showing though now clicking on the area marked as 1 allows switching between front and rear view but the rear view still remains blank.

The option "Other" is for when not using Kenwood CMOS-3 Series for either front or rear or DRV-N520 for front. This means even if using Kenwood CMOS-130 which the Kenwood manager is using, the option to select is "Other" and it works for him. Though he is using DRV-N520 for the front, I do not think it matter or at least the manual did not suggest it need front cam to be connected as well. CMOS-130 is no different to any other generic cam.

The manual states "To use a rear view camera, a REVERSE lead connection is required (P.81)".

However, I cannot see there is any other special lead mentioned other than the reverse lamp lead for reverse gear to engage rear view.

This issue has been forwarded to Japan for sometime now and am still waiting for answer.

@Weekiat572 perhaps you can give a call to Ah Put to ask why Kenwood Manager Jerome's view camera function is working. For all we know, the manual is missing specific instructions which Ah Put knows.

post-24572-0-47713500-1514800206_thumb.png

post-24572-0-54796500-1514800213_thumb.png

post-24572-0-05992700-1514800260_thumb.png

post-24572-0-00584300-1514800266_thumb.png

Ok I've gotten a reply from the Kenwood Manager: "...regarding the camera switching I have checked and confirmed that using the universal camera will not trigger the camera view if you are not on reverse shift."

However, I believe the information is wrong as the Kenwood CMOS-130 that he is using and working in "view camera" function is also a universal camera as can be seen from the attached basic connection diagram that I've extracted from the CMOS-130 manual i.e. it does not have any additional wiring. This basic connection diagram does not show any reverse trigger wiring as usually such instruction will be given in the head unit manual instead.

This got me thinking if his camera was setup exactly like as shown in the diagram i.e. always on with accessory on and also with reverse trigger.

So I digged a little further and true enough this video at 1:16 confirmed it has to be this way.

https://youtu.be/4LeGrwA8rok?t=76

A comment below the video also confirmed that: "I "assumed" the power for the f/r cameras would be switched as needed. Someone on the Kenwood 800 number was trying to tell me to hook up so they were always on when the ignition was on. I didn't believe them. I thought you probably had a video on the subject, and because I am here, I obviously found that you do. You told me the same thing as Kenwood."

Those who wants to enable the view camera function can now get your installer to make the necessary changes.

post-24572-0-58688100-1515179699_thumb.jpeg

Yup.

Same for me, it doesn't work for the reverse camera view.

For the firmware update, my impression is 10 to 15 mins

Please start your engine

Thanks for the update, will look forward for the coming firmware

Has the ios11 issue been settled yet? Is it more an ios11 problem or the HU firmware? Thinking if I should get this HU...kind of like its look....

Has the ios11 issue been settled yet? Is it more an ios11 problem or the HU firmware? Thinking if I should get this HU...kind of like its look....

Kenwood only reference Air Mirroring to Android on its webpage, manual and brochure. So it's quite obvious IOS is not officially supported. While there was a patch to make it worked, it does not work with IOS11 anymore even on the previous firmware. So it's not the firmware issue but rather possibly certain restriction imposed by Apple on IOS as usual. As soon as I have further info of a new patch, I will post it here. You can still use Car Play though. If your car is a Toyota or Subaru, this is possibly the only after market hu that can be used without any plastic trim as it is a wide screen display, what's more a capacitive rather than resistive one.

• Praise 1

Kenwood only reference Air Mirroring to Android on its webpage, manual and brochure. So it's quite obvious IOS is not officially supported. While there was a patch to make it worked, it does not work with IOS11 anymore even on the previous firmware. So it's not the firmware issue but rather possibly certain restriction imposed by Apple on IOS as usual. As soon as I have further info of a new patch, I will post it here. You can still use Car Play though. If your car is a Toyota or Subaru, this is possibly the only after market hu that can be used without any plastic trim as it is a wide screen display, what's more a capacitive rather than resistive one.

But then again....no other HU comes close....haiz....

Was contending with 8850, but it doesn't seem to have mirroring at all.  But one advantage it has over 917 is HDMI input, which is useful for future expansion with DVB-T2 tuner.

http://www.kenwood.com/au/car/visual_navigation/howto/

Interestingly, this webpage seems to have suggested that iphone is supported for air mirroring.  Look at the** part.

In fact, the DDX 7 series brochure stated that it supports iphone mirroring, with the KCA-WL100 HDMI dongle. Makes little sense for KENWOOD not to ensure support for Iphone via firmware development.

Edited by Kermit

But then again....no other HU comes close....haiz....

Was contending with 8850, but it doesn't seem to have mirroring at all.  But one advantage it has over 917 is HDMI input, which is useful for future expansion with DVB-T2 tuner.

http://www.kenwood.com/au/car/visual_navigation/howto/

Interestingly, this webpage seems to have suggested that iphone is supported for air mirroring.  Look at the** part.

In fact, the DDX 7 series brochure stated that it supports iphone mirroring, with the KCA-WL100 HDMI dongle. Makes little sense for KENWOOD not to ensure support for Iphone via firmware development.

I think 8850 has mirroring but is through wired hdmi/mhl just not sure if ios supported as I'm an Android user.

DDX917WS has support for TV tuner through the rca av-in. It has an additional 3.5mm for compatible TV tuner remote control via DDX917WS remote.

KCA-WL100 HDMI dongle is for the older models and is no longer needed as DDX917WS has built-in WiFi. Perhaps some licensing agreement with Apple has since changed.

But then again both new and old model IOS Air Mirroring is one way control only i.e. from the phone so it may not be so useful.

Neutral Newbie

Hi

Just got my DDX917ws yesterday. Installed the firmware from carboncarsystems, but mirroring for IOS 11 still didn’t work. Managed to look around and found this video

https://youtu.be/LQQQ81rIYOE

Need to switch turn on a secondary setting in the developer’s menu.

Mine is working now. Hope it helps.

Neutral Newbie

Here’s the instructions video for firmware updates. I merely followed all the steps in both videos and it works.

Cheers

Edited by ETCL

I just updated the firmware. Getting into developer menu can be a hit and miss. Once I went in, I saw my wireless link was already turned on. Yet to try with my wife iPhone.

Aside to this, Android Auto v3.1 now supports wireless but alas don't think Kenwood would make loyal customers out of existing owners to support it even though ours already has built-in wireless and the hardware specs to support it. Even the 2018 models do not have support for wireless AA. Equivalent 2018 models in US already support it. Beats me.

N now , its replaced by the 918 . 

http://www.kenwood.com/sg/car/visual_navigation/ddx918ws/

Yeah but surprisingly no wireless Android Auto when US 2018 equivalent models will be supporting. Without which, the other features are not much of an upgrade. i.e. HD screen on such small screen will not make a difference. Though Kenwood tends to have better specs and features, they are expensive and slow to release in SG and limited in stocks. It's accessories suffer the same fate. i.e. Japan already has the upgraded DRV-N530 dual dashcam while rest of the world only just got the older single channel DRV-N520. Their Whetron HD 2D / 3D AVM System will too surely cost a bomb.

I just realized my Oneplus One (old phone) does not support Air Mirror with Touch.

Only can miracast the screen.

I remember my ex-company phone from Sony, think its a cheap Xperia, can mirror with touch.

Anyone know what "spec" or "feature" to look out for if I want to go buy a phone that can Air Mirror to the ddx917ws with touch?

I just realized my Oneplus One (old phone) does not support Air Mirror with Touch.

Only can miracast the screen.

I remember my ex-company phone from Sony, think its a cheap Xperia, can mirror with touch.

Anyone know what "spec" or "feature" to look out for if I want to go buy a phone that can Air Mirror to the ddx917ws with touch?

I'm not sure if there is a specific spec to differentiate miracast 2-way screen control. I would have thought all Android would support 2-way micacast because my S9+ and LG 2014 Smart TV can also support 2-way besides also possible with DDX917WS. Samsung used to call miracast Allcast on my old Note 3 and old Samsung TV. Now on my S9+ it's called Smart View. On my LG TV, it's simply called Screen Share. I think different brand called it differently but the generic name is still miracast, regardless wired or wireless.

I'm not sure if there is a specific spec to differentiate miracast 2-way screen control. I would have thought all Android would support 2-way micacast because my S9+ and LG 2014 Smart TV can also support 2-way besides also possible with DDX917WS. Samsung used to call miracast Allcast on my old Note 3 and old Samsung TV. Now on my S9+ it's called Smart View. On my LG TV, it's simply called Screen Share. I think different brand called it differently but the generic name is still miracast, regardless wired or wireless.

Yah but not all phones with miracast will support touch apparently.

So now I know for sure Sony Xperia can.

Your S9 also can?

I know OnePlus 1 and older Nexus phones only one way.

Newer Nexus and Pixel phones only support Google Cast and not even Miracast.

Yes my S9+ can Miracast with 2-way screen control. If I'm not wrong, Miracast is always 2-way control.

Sorry, not familiar with Chromecast and other phones.

↡ Advertisement