All BMW owner thread

peacenowar

https://www.bmwblog.com/2020/01/06/bmw-rd-boss-quad-turbo-diesel-engine-to-be-retired-v12-to-follow/

BMW R&D Boss: quad-turbo diesel engine to be retired, V12 to follow

Not long ago we caught wind of some troubling news coming in from Germany. A report claimed that the spectacular quad-turbo B57S engine used on the likes of the BMW 750d or the M550d was set for retirement. Back then it was just a rumor but the confirmation came out today, in the shape of an interview with BMW’s own boss of research and development, Mr. Klaus Froehlich.

Speaking to Automotive News Europe, Froehlich explained that due to the cuts the company has to make in key areas and the complex regulatory systems it has to abide, some engines will be cut from the line-ups. These will be engines that are not exactly popular and yet are expensive to maintain between the emission levels demanded in several markets.

“On the diesel side, production of the 1.5-liter, three-cylinder entry engine will end and the 400-hp, six-cylinder won’t be replaced because it is too expensive and too complicated to build with its four turbos,” he said point blank.

That’s sad news for anyone who had the chance to drive that spectacular engine. It was a marvel of engineering, making the B57S diesel engine one of the two power plants in production today using four turbos, alongside the mighty Bugatti Chiron. Unfortunately, the time to say goodbye has come. The 1.5-liter 3-cylinder diesel mill found on cars like the MINI Cooper D will be put to rest.

Another bombshell Froehlich dropped is that the V12 is heading the same way: “The V12 may not have a future given that we only produce a few thousand units each year and the several thousand euros of added cost it takes to make them compliant with stricter emissions rules.”

Tough cookie to swallow but we all expected it to happen.

Furthermore, it looks like the V8 might also face the same fate. BMW already has a working hybrid powertrain using a 3-liter straight six that offers more torque and power with less emissions:

“When it comes to the V8, it’s already difficult to create a strong business case to keep it alive given that we have a six-cylinder high-powered plug-in hybrid unit that delivers 441 kilowatts (600 hp) of power and enough torque to destroy many transmissions,” Froehlich also said during aforementioned interview.

Edited by inlinesix
  • Praise 1

18 minutes ago, 7hm said:

Anyone here familiar with the X4 30i? I'm looking to consider that

Not sure about the 30i but when I drove the M40i, it didn't at all drive like a SUV and that is a good thing! The adaptive M suspension really did a good job making this baby SUV very enjoyable to drive.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged
3 hours ago, Wolfverine said:

Not sure about the 30i but when I drove the M40i, it didn't at all drive like a SUV and that is a good thing! The adaptive M suspension really did a good job making this baby SUV very enjoyable to drive.

Good to know it's still sporty. With the adaptive suspension I take it's able to soak up bumps really comfortably too?

On 1/8/2020 at 2:44 AM, 7hm said:

Good to know it's still sporty. With the adaptive suspension I take it's able to soak up bumps really comfortably too?

It was good enuf for me but best is for you to ask for a test drive!

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
On 1/9/2020 at 7:44 PM, Wolfverine said:

It was good enuf for me but best is for you to ask for a test drive!

I was told at the motorshow that M models including M Sport, and as such the X4 xD30i MSport, are on indent basis. Has anyone else been told the same thing?

On 1/14/2020 at 12:04 AM, 7hm said:

I was told at the motorshow that M models including M Sport, and as such the X4 xD30i MSport, are on indent basis. Has anyone else been told the same thing?

Maybe Diesel are on Indent basis.

Neutral Newbie
On 7/10/2017 at 6:56 AM, RadX said:
On 7/10/2017 at 2:26 AM, peacenowar said:

Seen like this thread not much use

There is a BMW-sg.com for many years

2 minutes ago, Wolfverine said:

IMO, that one lagi dead 😂

yah lo...all move to telegram or whatsapp

↡ Advertisement