All BMW owner thread

peacenowar

Is there a WhatsApp chat for the M group? Only joined their fb, didn’t realize there’s a chat group going on

↡ Advertisement

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/bmw-cease-production-i8-sports-car-april

BMW to cease production of i8 sports car in April
Plug-in hybrid flagship will bow out to make way for an all-new line of bespoke electric cars

by Felix Page

14 January 2020

BMW has confirmed that production of its i8 plug-in hybrid sports car will end in April, nearly six years after it was launched. 

The Porsche 911 rival will leave the market as BMW shifts focus to a new line of bespoke electric cars that includes the iX3 compact SUV, i4 saloon and iNext SUV flagship. A new sports car, based on last year’s Vision M Next concept, is expected to arrive within the next five years. 

BMW is yet to confirm the exact date on which i8 production will end, but a company spokesman said: “UK customers interested in a built-to-order car will need to have placed their order with their local retailer by the end of February.” 

BMW dealerships have already started to offer the i8 at significantly reduced prices in the run-up to its retirement. Several were offering the hardtop variant for £93,115, which represents a discount of nearly £20,000 over its £115,105 list price. 

Initially revealed in turbodiesel concept form at the 2009 Frankfurt motor show, the i8 went on sale in 2014 as the high-performance flagship of BMW’s then-new i electrified vehicle range, above the i3 electric hatchback.

The mid-engined 2+2 has been sold with just one powertrain option throughout its production run: a 1.5-litre turbocharged three-cylinder petrol engine mated to a low-output electric motor. Performance figures have remained largely unchanged, although a 2018 update boosted output from 357bhp to 369bhp. 

BMW research and development bosses last year confirmed to Autocar that decisions were being made about the future of the i8, and that it could be reborn as an electric rival to the second-generation Tesla Roadster and long-rumoured Audi R8 e-tron.

Little is known about its drivetrain or design, but sources suggest it will be developed using a “race to road strategy” that aims to provide a “tangible link” between BMW’s involvement in Formula E and its i division.

Edited by inlinesix

On 1/15/2020 at 5:01 PM, Uluwatu06 said:

Is there an M-series WA group chat? If there is, how can i join?

Pls PM. 

There's an M club. For a while had to pay money one. Now not so sure. Not worth it in my view, unless you love the social drives.

I quit long ago.

Edited by Turboflat4

On 2/9/2020 at 5:17 PM, Turboflat4 said:

There's an M club. For a while had to pay money one. Now not so sure. Not worth it in my view, unless you love the social drives.

I quit long ago.

Oh ok, thanks for the information. 

Nope, i am not into social drives. 

That being said, then its fine. Will not ask anymore for an M-series WA group chat.

Neutral Newbie

Anyone feels that this is not ethical? Anyone feels that this is unfair to customers?

Customer: Visits BMW roadshow and see a car with price stated on Windscreen for $131,888. Ask agent how to buy at that price.

Agent: Agent explained that the price stated on Windscreen is for advertising purposes, its efffective pricing.

Customer: What is effective pricing?

Agent: Effective pricing is after factoring in all the packages thrown in and customer must have a car to trade in, take up their in-house insurance, take in-house loan, 5 years warrranty & free servicing. The car price is $149,888.

Agent: Can i have your car details so that can quote for trade in value?

Customer: Gave details for quote.

Customer: Asked agent, so what is the value of the trade in?

Agent: Replied, Your 3 years 4 mths Toyota Wish is $87,000.

Customer: I thinking the value was really $87,000, was interested in the deal. And even introduced sister who was looking to purchase a new car to the deal.

Customer: Asked for quote for sister's car. Details given.

Agent: Your sister's car they will take in for $115,000. Again seems very attractive.

Customer: Took the calculations back for considerattion. Contacted agent to purchase. Even till at this point, agent did not mention that the $87,000 was a overtrade price and not the actual VALUE of the car.

Customer: Went down to showroom and requested for another $2,000 on the trade in value.

Agent: $87,000 is very high already, no one else outside will take in for this price but I'll try to request.

Customer: After agent mentioned that no one else outside will take in for that price made customer think that the value was really at $87,000.

Agent: After awhile, agent mentioned ok, company agreed to increase another $2,000.

Agent: We'll throw in sales credits of $500 and some other credits, would you like to use it to buy merchandise or convert into cash value and add on to your car's trade in value.

Customer: Agreed to convert into value to increase trade in value. So at this point, customer thinks that actual trade-in value of car is $90,000.

Agent: Mentioned, after all these you cannot back out already arh. Asked me for my credit card.

Customer: Passed the credit card to agent to make downpayment.

Agent: Went on to process payment and paper work.

Customer: Left showroom and wait for delivery of vehicle.
--------------------1 or 2 days later---------------------
Agent: Texted customer, congrats COE bidded successfully.

Customer: I have paid for road tax for my trading in car till end of year, i want to request that company reimburse that amount.

Agent: Mentioned not promise, because usually road tax in with the vehicle but I'll try.

Agent: Texted customer awhile later, ok, company agreed to reimburse for road tax $500.

Agent: This will also be put into your trade-in value.

Customer: Agreed, at this point customer thinks that value of trade-in is now $90,500 (Seems a good deal).
----------------- 2 weeks later --------------------------
Customer: Saw an advertisement of facebook from the same company for the same car selling for $131,888. Out of curiosity, enquired on the price.

Customer: Gave sister's car number (earlier given to Agent for quote and quoted $115,000) for quote because knowing that they have already made the deal with me and have my details and if i would have given my own car number they will know that I have already signed to buy a car from them, I wanted to find out the price as a fresh customer.

Facebook Agent: Quoted me $95,000 for my sister's car. This when things got suspicious, same company different agent quote $20,000 difference for trade in.

Customer: Continued to ask for all the breakdown for costing, loans and monthly installment. (This includes the same packages and conditions, 5 years servicing and warranty and must have car to trade-in, take their in-house insurance and bank loan)

Facebook Agent: Gave me the quote everything based on trade-in of $95,000 for the car price at $131,888.

Customer: Clarified with own sales agent, after a few text exchanges.

Agent: It's either we take in your car for $72,000 and sell your the car for $131,888 or take in for $90,000 and sell you the car for 149,888.

Customer: At this point, customer finds out that the actual value of traded in vehicle was way much lower then what was stated on paper as $90,500. And actual value is only $72,000. Which is lesser then market value or at least not the value customer would let go the car for.

Customer: Went to read the contract and saw the clause of deposit being forfeited and COE has already been bidded for. Thought that it was already too late to pull out although customer wanted to back out of the deal at this point. Also past the permitted time to withdraw from a contract in Singapore's law.
----------------------Few days later------------------------------
Customer: Collected vehicle but felt cheated and felt that its unethical and unfair.

• Praise 1

I read through the whole post and don't understand why one takes 2 days or 2 weeks to know how much one paid for the new car. At the point of purchase, even before one paid a single cent of deposit, one would have read the purchase contract how much is the trade in value taken, and also how much the loan payments are. If no loantaken even more straight forward.

• Praise 1

Ill be frank. While we are only hearing one side (yours) of the story, when something sounds too good to be true, it probably is exactly that.

But regardless, i firmly believe that this overtrade thing is rather frequently abused because well, it can. it is easy to leave somethings unsaid and create a skewered perspective.

I think there should be a blanket ban on it. In fact im willing to write to the authorities myself, maybe start a petition or something.  these little injustices really get to me when its the man on the street getting bummed out in whats supposed to be a enjoyable process of buying and owning a car in sunny spore. 

9 hours ago, hky1985 said:

Anyone feels that this is not ethical? Anyone feels that this is unfair to customers?

Customer: Visits BMW roadshow and see a car with price stated on Windscreen for $131,888. Ask agent how to buy at that price.

Agent: Agent explained that the price stated on Windscreen is for advertising purposes, its efffective pricing.

Customer: What is effective pricing?

Agent: Effective pricing is after factoring in all the packages thrown in and customer must have a car to trade in, take up their in-house insurance, take in-house loan, 5 years warrranty & free servicing. The car price is $149,888.

Agent: Can i have your car details so that can quote for trade in value?

Customer: Gave details for quote.

Customer: Asked agent, so what is the value of the trade in?

Agent: Replied, Your 3 years 4 mths Toyota Wish is $87,000.

Customer: I thinking the value was really $87,000, was interested in the deal. And even introduced sister who was looking to purchase a new car to the deal.

Customer: Asked for quote for sister's car. Details given.

Agent: Your sister's car they will take in for $115,000. Again seems very attractive.

Customer: Took the calculations back for considerattion. Contacted agent to purchase. Even till at this point, agent did not mention that the $87,000 was a overtrade price and not the actual VALUE of the car.

Customer: Went down to showroom and requested for another $2,000 on the trade in value.

Agent: $87,000 is very high already, no one else outside will take in for this price but I'll try to request.

Customer: After agent mentioned that no one else outside will take in for that price made customer think that the value was really at $87,000.

Agent: After awhile, agent mentioned ok, company agreed to increase another $2,000.

Agent: We'll throw in sales credits of $500 and some other credits, would you like to use it to buy merchandise or convert into cash value and add on to your car's trade in value.

Customer: Agreed to convert into value to increase trade in value. So at this point, customer thinks that actual trade-in value of car is $90,000.

Agent: Mentioned, after all these you cannot back out already arh. Asked me for my credit card.

Customer: Passed the credit card to agent to make downpayment.

Agent: Went on to process payment and paper work.

Customer: Left showroom and wait for delivery of vehicle.
--------------------1 or 2 days later---------------------
Agent: Texted customer, congrats COE bidded successfully.

Customer: I have paid for road tax for my trading in car till end of year, i want to request that company reimburse that amount.

Agent: Mentioned not promise, because usually road tax in with the vehicle but I'll try.

Agent: Texted customer awhile later, ok, company agreed to reimburse for road tax $500.

Agent: This will also be put into your trade-in value.

Customer: Agreed, at this point customer thinks that value of trade-in is now $90,500 (Seems a good deal).
----------------- 2 weeks later --------------------------
Customer: Saw an advertisement of facebook from the same company for the same car selling for $131,888. Out of curiosity, enquired on the price.

Customer: Gave sister's car number (earlier given to Agent for quote and quoted $115,000) for quote because knowing that they have already made the deal with me and have my details and if i would have given my own car number they will know that I have already signed to buy a car from them, I wanted to find out the price as a fresh customer.

Facebook Agent: Quoted me $95,000 for my sister's car. This when things got suspicious, same company different agent quote $20,000 difference for trade in.

Customer: Continued to ask for all the breakdown for costing, loans and monthly installment. (This includes the same packages and conditions, 5 years servicing and warranty and must have car to trade-in, take their in-house insurance and bank loan)

Facebook Agent: Gave me the quote everything based on trade-in of $95,000 for the car price at $131,888.

Customer: Clarified with own sales agent, after a few text exchanges.

Agent: It's either we take in your car for $72,000 and sell your the car for $131,888 or take in for $90,000 and sell you the car for 149,888.

Customer: At this point, customer finds out that the actual value of traded in vehicle was way much lower then what was stated on paper as $90,500. And actual value is only $72,000. Which is lesser then market value or at least not the value customer would let go the car for.

Customer: Went to read the contract and saw the clause of deposit being forfeited and COE has already been bidded for. Thought that it was already too late to pull out although customer wanted to back out of the deal at this point. Also past the permitted time to withdraw from a contract in Singapore's law.
----------------------Few days later------------------------------
Customer: Collected vehicle but felt cheated and felt that its unethical and unfair.

Well. this is what overtrade is.No free money to be had.A ' trick ' employed to think that you are getting a great deal with discounted car price when in actual fact the  ' discount ' is added to the new car price 😴

Unethical? I think so too. But....

I think there are many of those car dealers doing this. Jack up New car price and offering high trade in for Old car. Buyer just have to counter check with few other Seller (if possible) before making commitment.

Overtrade means different things coming from different agents from what I have encountered. Some add to the car price while some are straight off discount from car price.  So buyers beware, if not sure, just ask

How about legislating a requirement for all car agents to display the base cost of the vehicle being sold? Hah.

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1