All BMW owner thread

peacenowar

12 hours ago, hky1985 said:

Anyone feels that this is not ethical? Anyone feels that this is unfair to customers?

Customer: Visits BMW roadshow and see a car with price stated on Windscreen for $131,888. Ask agent how to buy at that price.

Agent: Agent explained that the price stated on Windscreen is for advertising purposes, its efffective pricing.

Customer: What is effective pricing?

Agent: Effective pricing is after factoring in all the packages thrown in and customer must have a car to trade in, take up their in-house insurance, take in-house loan, 5 years warrranty & free servicing. The car price is $149,888.

Agent: Can i have your car details so that can quote for trade in value?

Customer: Gave details for quote.

Customer: Asked agent, so what is the value of the trade in?

Agent: Replied, Your 3 years 4 mths Toyota Wish is $87,000.

Customer: I thinking the value was really $87,000, was interested in the deal. And even introduced sister who was looking to purchase a new car to the deal.

Customer: Asked for quote for sister's car. Details given.

Agent: Your sister's car they will take in for $115,000. Again seems very attractive.

Customer: Took the calculations back for considerattion. Contacted agent to purchase. Even till at this point, agent did not mention that the $87,000 was a overtrade price and not the actual VALUE of the car.

Customer: Went down to showroom and requested for another $2,000 on the trade in value.

Agent: $87,000 is very high already, no one else outside will take in for this price but I'll try to request.

Customer: After agent mentioned that no one else outside will take in for that price made customer think that the value was really at $87,000.

Agent: After awhile, agent mentioned ok, company agreed to increase another $2,000.

Agent: We'll throw in sales credits of $500 and some other credits, would you like to use it to buy merchandise or convert into cash value and add on to your car's trade in value.

Customer: Agreed to convert into value to increase trade in value. So at this point, customer thinks that actual trade-in value of car is $90,000.

Agent: Mentioned, after all these you cannot back out already arh. Asked me for my credit card.

Customer: Passed the credit card to agent to make downpayment.

Agent: Went on to process payment and paper work.

Customer: Left showroom and wait for delivery of vehicle.
--------------------1 or 2 days later---------------------
Agent: Texted customer, congrats COE bidded successfully.

Customer: I have paid for road tax for my trading in car till end of year, i want to request that company reimburse that amount.

Agent: Mentioned not promise, because usually road tax in with the vehicle but I'll try.

Agent: Texted customer awhile later, ok, company agreed to reimburse for road tax $500.

Agent: This will also be put into your trade-in value.

Customer: Agreed, at this point customer thinks that value of trade-in is now $90,500 (Seems a good deal).
 ----------------- 2 weeks later --------------------------
Customer: Saw an advertisement of facebook from the same company for the same car selling for $131,888. Out of curiosity, enquired on the price.

Customer: Gave sister's car number (earlier given to Agent for quote and quoted $115,000) for quote because knowing that they have already made the deal with me and have my details and if i would have given my own car number they will know that I have already signed to buy a car from them, I wanted to find out the price as a fresh customer.

Facebook Agent: Quoted me $95,000 for my sister's car. This when things got suspicious, same company different agent quote $20,000 difference for trade in.

Customer: Continued to ask for all the breakdown for costing, loans and monthly installment. (This includes the same packages and conditions, 5 years servicing and warranty and must have car to trade-in, take their in-house insurance and bank loan)

Facebook Agent: Gave me the quote everything based on trade-in of $95,000 for the car price at $131,888.

Customer: Clarified with own sales agent, after a few text exchanges.

Agent: It's either we take in your car for $72,000 and sell your the car for $131,888 or take in for $90,000 and sell you the car for 149,888.

Customer: At this point, customer finds out that the actual value of traded in vehicle was way much lower then what was stated on paper as $90,500. And actual value is only $72,000. Which is lesser then market value or at least not the value customer would let go the car for.

Customer: Went to read the contract and saw the clause of deposit being forfeited and COE has already been bidded for. Thought that it was already too late to pull out although customer wanted to back out of the deal at this point. Also past the permitted time to withdraw from a contract in Singapore's law.
----------------------Few days later------------------------------
Customer: Collected vehicle but felt cheated and felt that its unethical and unfair.

Actually, you could have just ask them how much was the new car cost if you had no trade in?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

14 minutes ago, Lalaisgongon said:

Actually, you could have just ask them how much was the new car cost if you had no trade in?

AD Pricing (eg C&C, PM), love to play with OT & Roadshow Special, clear old stock, management or event cars .

then still got "senior management discount" / return client offer, referral, a lot of back door ways.

really must do home work, keep asking questions (get it in black n white) 

esp what the specs / freebies thrown in  

• Praise 1

Twincharged
2 hours ago, Tarmac said:

How about legislating a requirement for all car agents to display the base cost of the vehicle being sold? Hah.

Base cost can easily be seen on the one motoring facts and figures page. Been published there for years. 

Twincharged
(edited)

Haha. The usual over trade nonsense. 

best way is to say buying 2nd car. No trade in and want to pay FULL CASH! Then you get a much much clearer picture of the exact amount you need to pay. 

if the salesman, say cannot then tell him you look for another salesman or buy another brand. No sales in the right mind will want to lose any potential sale. 

Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

I know someone who traded in his old 5er with 20k over the market price but bought the newer 5er at close to 250k. So it sounded  like a good deal but its not. 

• Praise 2

5 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

Haha. The usual over trade nonsense. 

best way is to say buying 2nd car. No trade in and want to pay FULL CASH! Then you get a much much clearer picture of the exact amount you need to pay. 

if the salesman, say cannot then tell him you look for another salesman or buy another brand. No sales in the right mind will want to lose any potential sale. 

Not just overtrade

Also the loans, duration, quantum, servicing etc

loan interest  for conti cars can be as high as 2.8% and compounded thats 5-6% and for 5-7 year loan can be up to 10-15k extra

But overtrade is the  most confusing

and some will insist need trade in to enjoy savings

Best is always EOL car trade in

• Praise 2

16 hours ago, hky1985 said:

Anyone feels that this is not ethical? Anyone feels that this is unfair to customers?

Customer: Visits BMW roadshow and see a car with price stated on Windscreen for $131,888. Ask agent how to buy at that price.

Agent: Agent explained that the price stated on Windscreen is for advertising purposes, its efffective pricing.

Agent: Effective pricing is after factoring in all the packages thrown in and customer must have a car to trade in, take up their in-house insurance, take in-house loan, 5 years warrranty & free servicing. The car price is $149,888.

Customer: I thinking the value was really $87,000, was interested in the deal. And even introduced sister who was looking to purchase a new car to the deal.

Agent: Your sister's car they will take in for $115,000. Again seems very attractive.

Customer: Took the calculations back for considerattion. Contacted agent to purchase. Even till at this point, agent did not mention that the $87,000 was a overtrade price and not the actual VALUE of the car.

Customer: Went down to showroom and requested for another $2,000 on the trade in value.

Agent: $87,000 is very high already, no one else outside will take in for this price but I'll try to request.

Customer: After agent mentioned that no one else outside will take in for that price made customer think that the value was really at $87,000.

Agent: After awhile, agent mentioned ok, company agreed to increase another $2,000.

Agent: We'll throw in sales credits of $500 and some other credits, would you like to use it to buy merchandise or convert into cash value and add on to your car's trade in value.

Customer: Agreed to convert into value to increase trade in value. So at this point, customer thinks that actual trade-in value of car is $90,000.

Agent: Mentioned, after all these you cannot back out already arh. Asked me for my credit card.

Customer: I have paid for road tax for my trading in car till end of year, i want to request that company reimburse that amount.

Agent: Mentioned not promise, because usually road tax in with the vehicle but I'll try.

Agent: Texted customer awhile later, ok, company agreed to reimburse for road tax $500.

Customer: Agreed, at this point customer thinks that value of trade-in is now $90,500 (Seems a good deal).
Customer: Saw an advertisement of facebook from the same company for the same car selling for $131,888. Out of curiosity, enquired on the price.

Customer: Gave sister's car number (earlier given to Agent for quote and quoted $115,000) for quote because knowing that they have already made the deal with me and have my details and if i would have given my own car number they will know that I have already signed to buy a car from them, I wanted to find out the price as a fresh customer.

Facebook Agent: Quoted me $95,000 for my sister's car. This when things got suspicious, same company different agent quote $20,000 difference for trade in.

Customer: Continued to ask for all the breakdown for costing, loans and monthly installment. (This includes the same packages and conditions, 5 years servicing and warranty and must have car to trade-in, take their in-house insurance and bank loan)

Facebook Agent: Gave me the quote everything based on trade-in of $95,000 for the car price at $131,888.

Agent: It's either we take in your car for $72,000 and sell your the car for $131,888 or take in for $90,000 and sell you the car for 149,888.

Customer: At this point, customer finds out that the actual value of traded in vehicle was way much lower then what was stated on paper as $90,500. And actual value is only $72,000. Which is lesser then market value or at least not the value customer would let go the car for.

Customer: Went to read the contract and saw the clause of deposit being forfeited and COE has already been bidded for. Thought that it was already too late to pull out although customer wanted to back out of the deal at this point. Also past the permitted time to withdraw from a contract in Singapore's law.
Customer: Collected vehicle but felt cheated and felt that its unethical and unfair.

Answer to feel better: Wah this company quite unethical, never state the trade in price clearly. Should report to CASE and spread on social media!

Hard truth answer: Alamak, this customer damn blur, buy 130k car like buying vegetables at the wet market. Never check contract clearly just sign and pay.

• Haha! 3

Supercharged
17 hours ago, hky1985 said:

130-150k item you have to do your own due diligence.

There is definitely nothing technically illegal about what they are doing, so I don't think they are afraid of you sueing them. Is it ethical? Gray area.

End of day, treat this as a lesson and move on. Next car transaction, please bring other more savvy relatives/friends along to save you from yourself.

• Haha! 1

59 minutes ago, flashbang said:

Answer to feel better: Wah this company quite unethical, never state the trade in price clearly. Should report to CASE and spread on social media!

Hard truth answer: Alamak, this customer damn blur, buy 130k car like buying vegetables at the wet market. Never check contract clearly just sign and pay.

Just an addendum to your last para. It's ok to buy car like buying vegetables. Some people do. But if not meeting expectations must also be able to wave it off like bad veggies. In other words, before acting like the details don't matter, make sure you can afford to.

(edited)
17 hours ago, hky1985 said:

This customer also champion. Asked for refund of road tax after signing on the dotted line. First of all, I've never bothered asking for that (which is why I pay 6 monthly by GIRO so the loss is not much). And secondly, if going to haggle about small stuff like this, why try luck after signing? 

And they were "nice" enough to add 500 bucks to "trade-in value". 😂😂😂

The cleanest trade is when you go cash in hand to buy a car. No fuss, no muss. No deal, walk away. 

When you trade-in a car, already things become murky.

And when you go in also needing a loan, things are murkier than mud. You're a chicken waiting to be plucked. A carrot head waiting to be chopped.

A little gambit is to first nego as if no trade-in and finalise in writing the price with discounts, benefits etc. before mentioning the trade-in. Of course, must know market value of trade-in car first before walking in to dealership (due diligence). If salesman says no deal because trade in not mentioned at the start, walk away or if you want to be a nuisance, demand to speak to manager there and then. At least you won't have been cheated and you may even get a fair deal if you irritate them enough. Unethical to delay mentioning? Tough! Salespeople are often unethical on a daily basis without losing any sleep over it. Dog eat dog etc. 

If you need a loan, the above still applies - nego as if not trading in and get max discount from loan package, make sure you can afford DP and monthly payments comfortably, then bring up the trade in vehicle and see what happens. 

But be prepared to have to sell your car to a separate dealer if the salesman low balls you. That's what your due diligence is for.

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 5

2 hours ago, flashbang said:

Anyway, from the story described, sounds like it could be PI. I don't think ADs do such things.

I think is buyer blur with overtrade system lol

(edited)
On 2/29/2020 at 10:20 PM, hky1985 said:

"Agent: It's either we take in your car for $72,000 and sell your the car for $131,888 or take in for $90,000 and sell you the car for 149,888."

Nothing wrong with this. The SE told me this too and asked which I prefer. Some prefer lower loan cos cash rich. Some need more trade in value cos no cash. Essentially same same.

And I think they're very nice to give $500 more after signing the dotted line.

Anyway prolly to make the poster feel better:
https://www.ppsl-select.sg/used-cars/14453--18-CVT-ELEGANCE.html

PPSL, where BMW will channel their used cars.. similar Wish listed $73K...so prolly will transact high $60s - 70. So $72K actual value is quite decent.

And I'm guessing poster bought a 216GT. $130K is a good price.

So be happy and enjoy the ride! Cheers!

Edited by jk228b
  • Praise 1

After you signed the contract, just wait happily for your car to arrive. There is no need to go to competitors or other salespeople to check out their pricing. You can't change anything after that, unless you are willing to forego the deposit.

Or if you have doubts in the first place, don't sign that contract. Nobody forces you to sign.

• Praise 4

(edited)
20 hours ago, Turboflat4 said:

This customer also champion. Asked for refund of road tax after signing on the dotted line. First of all, I've never bothered asking for that (which is why I pay 6 monthly by GIRO so the loss is not much). And secondly, if going to haggle about small stuff like this, why try luck after signing? 

And they were "nice" enough to add 500 bucks to "trade-in value". 😂😂😂

The cleanest trade is when you go cash in hand to buy a car. No fuss, no muss. No deal, walk away. 

When you trade-in a car, already things become murky.

And when you go in also needing a loan, things are murkier than mud. You're a chicken waiting to be plucked. A carrot head waiting to be chopped.

A little gambit is to first nego as if no trade-in and finalise in writing the price with discounts, benefits etc. before mentioning the trade-in. Of course, must know market value of trade-in car first before walking in to dealership (due diligence). If salesman says no deal because trade in not mentioned at the start, walk away or if you want to be a nuisance, demand to speak to manager there and then. At least you won't have been cheated and you may even get a fair deal if you irritate them enough. Unethical to delay mentioning? Tough! Salespeople are often unethical on a daily basis without losing any sleep over it. Dog eat dog etc. 

If you need a loan, the above still applies - nego as if not trading in and get max discount from loan package, make sure you can afford DP and monthly payments comfortably, then bring up the trade in vehicle and see what happens. 

But be prepared to have to sell your car to a separate dealer if the salesman low balls you. That's what your due diligence is for.

Trade in with cash payment of balance is also quite clean lah. People offer u 50k vs 55k  for trade-in is very clear cut also.

Actually many dealers for B&B cars are quite upfront, only the german 3, lexus or other more premium marques then get bit confusing.

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 2

B&B cars more upfront also cos they are price competitive and much lower profit margin.

So want to squuze a few K more for trade in car also difficult

I'm curious whether the overtrade component is reflected in buyer's invoice. 

I went to 3 conti ADs last time and in the payment working and explanation, they split up the cost components to come up with the balance of payment, e.g. trade-in value, overtrade, discount, downpayment and loan amount. 

↡ Advertisement