Rise in steroid misuse by Singapore teens a worrying trend

Ender

Hypersonic

Even more worrying now that weight lifting, and gym training are getting more popular among the youngster. More education is needed on the long term harmful effects of steroid.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/sport/rise-in-steroid-misuse-by-singapore-teens-a-worrying-trend-8912576

Rise in steroid misuse by Singapore teens a worrying trend: Fitness experts
Read more at http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/sport/rise-in-steroid-misuse-by-singapore-teens-a-worrying-trend-8912576

Channel NewsAsia's Noor Farhan investigates claims that the ease of obtaining performance-enhancing drugs has led to teen gym-goers dabbling in their use - despite the health risks.

SINGAPORE: For John*, gym workouts have been part of his life since his early teens.

At first, the 21-year-old was content to let hard work build up his muscles. But four years ago, his desire to have a body he was proud to show off led him to experiment with anabolic steroids, which can accelerate muscle growth. 

Within a couple of years of taking steroids, he took part in his first junior bodybuilding contest while studying at polytechnic. And although his career in competitive bodybuilding only lasted three contests, he has continued to take steroids to maintain his muscle mass. 

Recent Instagram selfies show the results, as he posed in pictures showing his massively bulging deltoids and biceps, as well as his six-pack abdominals.

However, taking steroids has come at a cost.

“For my first competition, I got a lot of wrong information and as a result I took certain steroids that caused me to lack sleep,” said John, who is now a full-time National Serviceman. “I simply couldn’t sleep for a whole week, no matter how hard I tried.”

Sleeplessness was only part of the problem: “My blood pressure was so high, I had problems breathing and was always panting. I didn’t know why, and I thought it was because I didn’t do cardiovascular exercises.

“I realised much later that it was because someone told me to take certain steroids which exceeded the ‘safe’ doses.”

TEEN STEROID USE HAS BECOME WIDESPREAD: LOCAL FITNESS INSTRUCTORS

John is not the only young person venturing into the world of injectable and oral anabolic steroids to develop big and defined muscles. More teens have apparently been tempted by the fast gains that steroids offer in terms of muscle size and definition.

Ten local gym managers, personal trainers and bodybuilders that Channel NewsAsia spoke to over a month-long period confirmed this trend.

“It’s quite rampant actually. I know of quite a number of young gym goers who have picked up steroid use,” said Allen*, a gym manager at a 24-hour gym in Singapore.

Another gym manager, Dex*, said it is common to see used steroid ampoules lying around in changing room dustbins. “It’s quite prevalent among gym users in Singapore for sure.”

"It’s an indication that some of our clients are using steroids,” said Dex, who oversees a 24-hour gym in the west of Singapore.

“But ever since we’ve put up a sign that says ‘No steroid use allowed in our gym’, we’re seeing fewer items like syringes and ampoules in our bins,” he added.

And there are other clear signs of steroid use, said Dex. “I’ve seen guys that are only 18 and their bodies are already like Arnold Schwarzenegger's! They have deformities that make the person look older than 18.”

He added that although some young bodybuilders deny using steroids, their abnormally overdeveloped muscles can only come from using them. "They won’t admit that they use it, but we all know they do.”

According to John, teen steroid users have limited awareness of the potential side effects of using steroids. Often, young users will turn to their suppliers for advice on how to take steroids - and few of them have any proper medical knowledge. But that is no problem in his circle of acquaintances. “Even my sister – who is 15 – has friends who are using and asking where they can get their hands on certain anabolic steroids.

"I’m very worried, not just because they’re young, but more because they don’t know what they’re getting themselves into.”

EASE OF PURCHASE

Because unlicensed steroid dealers are not bound by health regulations, there is no stopping them from selling to teen users. 

“It’s often the ITE and Polytechnic fitness enthusiasts who are using it,” said gym manager Allen*.

“In fact, I heard of a senior bodybuilder in my gym who scolded one of the pushers, as they were selling to these kids who did not know any better about the side effects,” said the 30-year-old.

“Many of these pushers only want to sell, and do not care what would happen to these kids. It is quite common in fact for young fitness buffs from ages 17 to 18 onwards to take such performance-enhancing drugs (PEDs).”

For those users who do not want to buy in person, there are various online portals selling injectable and oral steroids like Deca-durabolin, Anavar, Trenbolone and Winstrol.

Some websites also provide home deliveries. Said an online distributor, in response to an email query from Channel NewsAsia: “We deliver our products to personal trainers personally once a week, or through trackable post either from Singapore or Malaysia.”

Another search on Instagram and Carousell also revealed several other anabolic steroid sellers. Online forums also offered advice on how to use such substances effectively and ‘safely’.

Read more at http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/sport/rise-in-steroid-misuse-by-singapore-teens-a-worrying-trend-8912576

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Hypersonic

Weight lifting itself is already a harmful exercise. Not sure why it can be accepted as a sports.

I think almost all sports carry a risk of injury. Some even death.

Hypersonic

The problem of too much information on the internet and too easy to get access to such information. <_<

• Praise 2

Hypersonic

Weight lifting itself is already a harmful exercise. Not sure why it can be accepted as a sports.

Technically all sports are harmful, and all exercises are harmful if done with poor or incorrect form. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

• Praise 1

Wrong thread for me. I better go back to excercising and losing weigh thread.

This has nothing to do merge pack.

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

steroids can buy over the counter?

I think must be prescribe by doc.

The article mentioned there are pushers in the gym and can get from online. So access to the e drugs is not that difficult.

Problem lies with the pushers. They don't care the well being of the young men. They just want to sell as many as they can for money. Different folks react differently to the steroids. I dunno how they consider it safe to use. Of course the pushers will say to your face it's safe, it's money they are after, they don't care.

Imo easy come easy go. Nothing beats hard work when it comes to training.

• Praise 4

Hypersonic

Isn't the side effects very small tentacles and

Very high pitch squeaky voice like David Beckham?

:D

You have to be nuts to do steroids.

Very small ones.

• Praise 6

All men should tell their wife this  :XD:

• Praise 8

Prednisone and prednisolone can really build up rage. No joke.

Prednisolone is a glucocorticoid.

Generally doctors use more of glucocorticoids for treatment of illnesses.

Mineralcorticoids and androgens less so.

The anabolic steroids that these people are taking are androgens which are similar to testosterone analogues. Well some of the long term gym users of these will say, no issues if u take it "correctly".

In fact u see this very pervasive attitude in bodybuilders who say, look at me, I'm fine.

(edited)

At the very least, testosterone supplementation (rather than replacing testosterone in hypogonadism or andropause) has been shown to increase risk of cardiac death.
Other than the unhappy endings u see with some of the wrestlers.

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 1