Lexus ES250, Jag XF 2.0A, E-Class E200, Audi A6, BMW 520

Odyssey2011

If u are concerned with maintenance and costs, maybe drop the jag off your list?

Assuming all are equally reliable and breakdown at the same time, the jag will probably give more headache vs the rest

Reason is, jag is much rare, spares may also be rare too, and likely going to be more costly and have a longer wait for it cos stockies don't keep so much stock around

Thank, this information is great. I drop the Jag of of the list. 

↡ Advertisement

I am buying one of these, new one from AD for my next 10 years usage, my annual driving is around 18k mileage, seldom do long distance drive.

Reliability, how much do i need to set a budget for repair cost (not under servicing and maintenance) for these model typically for 10 years driving. What are the typical problem parts which need repairing?

I am not sure how to choose, i am fine with all these car style and handling and electronics. Seeking advices from the many car gurus here, which car is a smart buy? considering cost and maintenance. Thank you.

You can get substantial discount if your are an ex camry owner buying the es250

• Praise 1

(edited)

Thank. But, I wasn't, my wife was ex camry owner. 

Edited by Odyssey2011

Car buyers usually don't look at these 5 cars for comparison

More commonly due to the price difference, it will be

Group A - Lexus ES, Audi A6, Jaguar XF

Group B - Mercedes E class, BMW 5 series

Assuming you driving 10 years and dont care about resale value

Group A - just buy the Lexus. Will be more reliable and outside parts easy to find and cheaper

Group B - buy the Mercedes. BMW in the later years are notorious for having many problems.

• Praise 3

Car buyers usually don't look at these 5 cars for comparison

More commonly due to the price difference, it will be

Group A - Lexus ES, Audi A6, Jaguar XF

Group B - Mercedes E class, BMW 5 series

Assuming you driving 10 years and dont care about resale value

Group A - just buy the Lexus. Will be more reliable and outside parts easy to find and cheaper

Group B - buy the Mercedes. BMW in the later years are notorious for having many problems.

Can share why Group A diff Group B? 

For price, i am ok, as all these meet my budget. 

Turbocharged

Wife prefers Jag, more prestige branding.

ATAS feel loh..

I drive an XE. People give my car more than a second look compared to the others.

Didn't encounter this when I drive the Merc in the past ;-)

• Praise 1

ATAS feel loh..

I drive an XE. People give my car more than a second look compared to the others.

Didn't encounter this when I drive the Merc in the past ;-)

Yeah, I guess she finds it "ATAS" too.

No need Camry lah, any Lexus will do, Toyota? Can nego. In the end is our singapore famous tag line for Borneo Motors, "ownself sell ownself" and "ownself buy ownself". In short? U get $2k more discount

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

I like the G30 in terms of overall performance in all metrics (luxury, appearance, equipment, power and handling, etc.) out of this lineup but if you want "trouble free" life then the ES250 is probably the most "reliable".

• Praise 1

If u want to drive for the next 10 years, Mercedes is the best choice without a single doubt. It is a tested and proven brand. The prestige is there. Maintenance cost is reasonable. Design is more modern looking since w212 facelift model. Resale value is there. Drivability is ok but not as good as BMW or Lexus. I am confident that you won't regret owning an E class.....but the final decision depends on you as you have your own preferences....

• Praise 2

The choice is very personal

You and wife need to decide your priority, what matters to you most, 

External styling

Internal comfort

Drive

or

Reliability

Maint cost

There is no right or wrong choice or answer

Everyone has their own bias and preference

Perception of which car is more reliable etc is frequently based on heresay r personal experience

There are many who drive BMW 520 or XF for many years without problems and there are those who have frequent problems with their E200 or ES250

If money is not an issue, go buy one that appeals to your heart and driving experience  [:)]

I am buying one of these, new one from AD for my next 10 years usage, my annual driving is around 18k mileage, seldom do long distance drive.

Reliability, how much do i need to set a budget for repair cost (not under servicing and maintenance) for these model typically for 10 years driving. What are the typical problem parts which need repairing?

I am not sure how to choose, i am fine with all these car style and handling and electronics. Seeking advices from the many car gurus here, which car is a smart buy? considering cost and maintenance. Thank you.

• Praise 13

What ranks top for you when you buy and drive the car?

I assume since you say reliability, your priority should be that.

Nowadays most new cars should be problem free for the first 3-5 years (unless you get a lemon, touch wood). So in general all should be fine during this period.

On the flip side, these high-end cars nowadays got a lot of electronics (especially the Merc and BMW) so if there's anything to go wrong, it's usually that. Things like the infotainment system/iDrive connectivity systems which controls a lot of things now, there's a bit of risk there.

Audi A6 replacement coming soon (probably next year).

If you want absolute reliability and peace of mind, over anything else, go Japanese (i.e. Lexus). Usually can't be wrong.

• Praise 3

Supersonic
(edited)

Did u go test drive to feel the diff of each car?

This one forum test drive.......counted or not?

All r good in its own ways but tink TS wants us to say XF is bestest lah. LOL

Edited by Soya
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

This one forum test drive.......counted or not?

All r good in its own ways but tink TS wants us to say XF is bestest lah. LOL

Oic...eeh...XF? Very good if wife like to nag u in the car cos the engine noise can cover her voice. Lol :grin:
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1