Lexus ES250, Jag XF 2.0A, E-Class E200, Audi A6, BMW 520

Odyssey2011

If u want to drive for the next 10 years, Mercedes is the best choice without a single doubt. It is a tested and proven brand. The prestige is there. Maintenance cost is reasonable. Design is more modern looking since w212 facelift model. Resale value is there. Drivability is ok but not as good as BMW or Lexus. I am confident that you won't regret owning an E class.....but the final decision depends on you as you have your own preferences....

drive for 10 years, resale not important. Agree Mercedes appear among top few good choice.

This one forum test drive.......counted or not?

All r good in its own ways but tink TS wants us to say XF is bestest lah. LOL

TS wishes to know real advices, XF was dropped as everyone agreed this is worst choice for it reliability. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Did u go test drive to feel the diff of each car?

My driving style is basic and simple, so i don't need good handling car actually, all these cars provide more than enough in term of handling, comfort as well. 

Servicing wise, I will leave it to their AD center for 10 years most probably. FC, I don't bother. Noise insulation and vibration, I don't expect high, but all these rides meet my expectation, at least better than Camry and Accord. 

My driving style is basic and simple, so i don't need good handling car actually, all these cars provide more than enough in term of handling, comfort as well. 

Servicing wise, I will leave it to their AD center for 10 years most probably. FC, I don't bother. Noise insulation and vibration, I don't expect high, but all these rides meet my expectation, at least better than Camry and Accord. 

If like that I will recommend Lexus. Nice and simple, not too complicated. Easy to drive, easy to service and maintain.

• Praise 4

What ranks top for you when you buy and drive the car?

I assume since you say reliability, your priority should be that.

Nowadays most new cars should be problem free for the first 3-5 years (unless you get a lemon, touch wood). So in general all should be fine during this period.

On the flip side, these high-end cars nowadays got a lot of electronics (especially the Merc and BMW) so if there's anything to go wrong, it's usually that. Things like the infotainment system/iDrive connectivity systems which controls a lot of things now, there's a bit of risk there.

Audi A6 replacement coming soon (probably next year).

If you want absolute reliability and peace of mind, over anything else, go Japanese (i.e. Lexus). Usually can't be wrong.

I looking for a car that will last for 10 years. If after 5 years, it needs a major part replacement lesser than 20k, i see it fair enough. 

If like that I will recommend Lexus. Nice and simple, not too complicated. Easy to drive, easy to service and maintain.

ES250 really appeared to be the most supported car in term of reliability. Other cars like Merc also seem popular at this area.  

As for Audi A6, BMW 530(typo, should be 530) I hear good review too, I guess these ain't too ridiculously far away, do I really need to be overly concern its reliability?

• Praise 1

Supersonic

Reliability, Novice, Keep for 10 yrs, Fuss-Free, Comfy, Driving style basic & simple?.........Actually Camry is more than does the job. If want branded sikit, ES250. What more is there to ask and want feedback on? The choice is overwhelmingly obvious for u. 

• Praise 5

Reliability, Novice, Keep for 10 yrs, Fuss-Free, Comfy, Driving style basic & simple?.........Actually Camry is more than does the job. If want branded sikit, ES250. What more is there to ask and want feedback on? The choice is overwhelmingly obvious for u.

The new Camry launching this year end will be a hugely improved model as well. That will be a good choice
  • Praise 2

Turbocharged

Think he is going for badge in his next choice, that's why Camry isn't in the list.

Even before the new model it's already well known to be a reliable workhorse

So.. Among the premium badges, which one gives least headache with reliability

• Praise 2

Think he is going for badge in his next choice, that's why Camry isn't in the list.

Indeed I am chasing "the badge thing" in some ways, realised after discussing with all here. On the jag, I dropped it from list, lowest in reliability as most agree i think. 

"Among the premium badges, which one gives least headache with reliability " This is spot on. Thank you.

Turbocharged

Indeed I am chasing "the badge thing" in some ways, realised after discussing with all here. On the jag, I dropped it from list, lowest in reliability as most agree i think.

"Among the premium badges, which one gives least headache with reliability " This is spot on. Thank you.

Me too.

Otherwise would have gotten a Jap car already.

• Praise 1

Supersonic

Liddat double triple consperm ES250. Mai tu liao lah. Bring cheque book. Or credit card (heard they allow u to charge $23k as booking fee - use points for free SQ Bali ticket). No need to SOP waste time asking.
  • Praise 2

Liddat double triple consperm ES250. Mai tu liao lah. Bring cheque book. Or credit card (heard they allow u to charge $23k as booking fee - use points for free SQ Bali ticket). No need to SOP waste time asking.

Yes. Max 23k charge to cc for booking fee. Quite worth it actually.

I'd take the E200 or ES250 too.

But if badge is of priority then Merc

• Praise 3

Car buyers usually don't look at these 5 cars for comparison

More commonly due to the price difference, it will be

Group A - Lexus ES, Audi A6, Jaguar XF

Group B - Mercedes E class, BMW 5 series

Assuming you driving 10 years and dont care about resale value

Group A - just buy the Lexus. Will be more reliable and outside parts easy to find and cheaper

Group B - buy the Mercedes. BMW in the later years are notorious for having many problems.

Yes agreed as the cars mentioned has been proven to be reliable car. In this era, cost is a concern and that is why people still go back to this brand after so many years.

Supercharged

Since the cars you've shortlisted are comparable in terms of comfort and handling in your opinion, while prestige and reliability are your deciding factors, you can't be wrong picking ES250. Lexus is almost always ranked top in reliability and satisfaction studies. Never mind if SEs of competing brands in your shortlist may try to dissuade you by saying it is a Camry in disguise.

Turbocharged

This is typical "expensive means good" mentality. And since car price has no issues then why worry so much abt maintenance?
  • Praise 1

Supercharged

This is typical "expensive means good" mentality. And since car price has no issues then why worry so much abt maintenance?

Reliability concern is not only about maintenance cost.  Even if one is not overly concerned with servicing and repair costs, he or she would still want to avoid malfunctions and breakdowns, which may compromise safety if they happen on the road, and result in loss of use and other opportunity costs while waiting for recovery and repair. 

Turbocharged

Reliability concern is not only about maintenance cost. Even if one is not overly concerned with servicing and repair costs, he or she would still want to avoid malfunctions and breakdowns, which may compromise safety if they happen on the road, and result in loss of use and other opportunity costs while waiting for recovery and repair.

No matter what makes u go for, no one can guarantee no malfunction and no breakdown in the next 10yrs but normally if maintain by AD they'll ask u to change necessary parts according to mileage so chances of breakdown is slimmer. For malfunction is all abt luck liao.
↡ Advertisement