Lexus ES250, Jag XF 2.0A, E-Class E200, Audi A6, BMW 520

Odyssey2011

Turbocharged

Respect that you openly mention that you're after the badge, though hope you see beyond that and just buy the car which makes you feel at home.

If the badge and reliability are what you seek just go for the Merc, a Merc will always have that oomph factor that Lexus will never meet, it will fair okay on both comfort & reliability. If you get a decent one maybe it will cost you 20k on top of servicing etc thru the 10 years which is pretty decent all in all.

Indeed I am chasing "the badge thing" in some ways, realised after discussing with all here. On the jag, I dropped it from list, lowest in reliability as most agree i think. 

"Among the premium badges, which one gives least headache with reliability " This is spot on. Thank you.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

About 7 years ago I was in the same situation, and the cars I was looking (many of these were the 2010 models then, not the latest model)

Merc E200

BMW 520i

Jaguar XF

Lexus GS250

Audi A6

Volvo S80

I took out BMW and Jaguar because of many of my friends have them and have more problems than other cars. Audi A6 was nice but the left foot rest was very uncomfortable (too far off), I had a few Merc previously, last one was the W203 C class so I wanted something not Merc. It was down to Lexus GS250 or Volvo S80. I did not consider Lexus ES250 (which just arrived end 2010) as it was too floaty and too light.

Between Lexus GS250 (very smooth V6 engine, attractive 5 years unlimited mileage but more expensive) and the Volvo S80 (the best and most comfortable seats, 5 cylinder engines, almost as smooth as the V6 and turbocharged so very powerful). So I chose the Volvo S80. Of course Volvo does have its weakness, FWD means very scary torque steer if I sprint at traffic light, engine noisier than the rest and status not as great as Merc, BMW or even Lexus.

I had it for 4 years, happy with the Volvo, when the time to change I move to Volvo XC60, which is more comfortable (because higher and softer wheel, so less bumpy than S80), but not so great handling as it has higher centre of gravity.

I had the XC60 for 2 years, and time to change, few months ago I had go through the same exercise.

I like the Merc E200, and the BMW 520d also arriving, but their prices are a bit high at $260k. I did not consider Jaguar, again because worried of the reliability. I was looking at the GS (now turbocharged 2 litre, not the V6), Volvo new S90 and Audi A6.

This time it was down to Volvo S90 ($210k) and Audi A6 ($190k). My heart wanted the Volvo as I had 2 before and quite happy with them, very comfortable, fairly reliable, but as I drive a lot, the 3 years 100k warranty I would reach 100k warranty after 2 years plus. Audi A6 offer me 5 years unlimited milelage warrant, that swayed my decision to Audi A6.

My impression after 3 months of 15,000km, what I like of the Audi : very quiet and smooth 4 cylinder engine compared to Volvo, very minimal torque steer (I think because it is "only 190hp" and not the 250hp of Volvo, and engine mounted longitudinally reduce torque steer), handles very well, better than Volvo.

But the seats are not as comfortable as Volvo, the left foot rest too far away that I had to wrap a towel to put on the foot rest so that its more comfortable, looks very nice.

So, thats my decision, from Volvo to Audi. But I think I will also be happy with Merc and BMW too , just that have not tried yet.

• Praise 8

(edited)

Reliability concern is not only about maintenance cost.  Even if one is not overly concerned with servicing and repair costs, he or she would still want to avoid malfunctions and breakdowns, which may compromise safety if they happen on the road, and result in loss of use and other opportunity costs while waiting for recovery and repair. 

Yes. It is that hassle problem.

Edited by Odyssey2011

Honestly basic driver who want badge will regret 2 yrs down the road for not listening to us.

Someone in C class thread complain his kar lost power in the afternoon. He upgraded from 200+ hp ride to 155hp with better badge.

It is clear.

• ES250 most reliability slight but slight lesser badge. 
  • E200 good reliability and badge.

Really appreciate all these advices. Great place to learn and discuss about car,  narrowing down my choices.

Turbocharged

Both the Lexus and Merc have more panache than a Camry, but the Merc more so. Neither car will attract prolonged stares though.

The Jaguar might.

It is clear.

• ES250 most reliability slight but slight lesser badge.
  • E200 good reliability and badge.
Really appreciate all these advices. Great place to learn and discuss about car, narrowing down my choices.
The sales volume of the e class speaks for itself. The e class is the best seller in the segment despite having a steep price tag

About 7 years ago I was in the same situation, and the cars I was looking (many of these were the 2010 models then, not the latest model)

Merc E200

BMW 520i

Jaguar XF

Lexus GS250

Audi A6

Volvo S80

I took out BMW and Jaguar because of many of my friends have them and have more problems than other cars. Audi A6 was nice but the left foot rest was very uncomfortable (too far off), I had a few Merc previously, last one was the W203 C class so I wanted something not Merc. It was down to Lexus GS250 or Volvo S80. I did not consider Lexus ES250 (which just arrived end 2010) as it was too floaty and too light.

Between Lexus GS250 (very smooth V6 engine, attractive 5 years unlimited mileage but more expensive) and the Volvo S80 (the best and most comfortable seats, 5 cylinder engines, almost as smooth as the V6 and turbocharged so very powerful). So I chose the Volvo S80. Of course Volvo does have its weakness, FWD means very scary torque steer if I sprint at traffic light, engine noisier than the rest and status not as great as Merc, BMW or even Lexus.

I had it for 4 years, happy with the Volvo, when the time to change I move to Volvo XC60, which is more comfortable (because higher and softer wheel, so less bumpy than S80), but not so great handling as it has higher centre of gravity.

I had the XC60 for 2 years, and time to change, few months ago I had go through the same exercise.

I like the Merc E200, and the BMW 520d also arriving, but their prices are a bit high at $260k. I did not consider Jaguar, again because worried of the reliability. I was looking at the GS (now turbocharged 2 litre, not the V6), Volvo new S90 and Audi A6.

This time it was down to Volvo S90 ($210k) and Audi A6 ($190k). My heart wanted the Volvo as I had 2 before and quite happy with them, very comfortable, fairly reliable, but as I drive a lot, the 3 years 100k warranty I would reach 100k warranty after 2 years plus. Audi A6 offer me 5 years unlimited milelage warrant, that swayed my decision to Audi A6.

My impression after 3 months of 15,000km, what I like of the Audi : very quiet and smooth 4 cylinder engine compared to Volvo, very minimal torque steer (I think because it is "only 190hp" and not the 250hp of Volvo, and engine mounted longitudinally reduce torque steer), handles very well, better than Volvo.

But the seats are not as comfortable as Volvo, the left foot rest too far away that I had to wrap a towel to put on the foot rest so that its more comfortable, looks very nice.

So, thats my decision, from Volvo to Audi. But I think I will also be happy with Merc and BMW too , just that have not tried yet.

Great to hear your experiences with so many continental cars. Appreciate your sharing. Thank you.

Indeed I am chasing "the badge thing" in some ways, realised after discussing with all here. On the jag, I dropped it from list, lowest in reliability as most agree i think. 

"Among the premium badges, which one gives least headache with reliability " This is spot on. Thank you.

Just get a merc lor.

I think for you, it's either the E class or the ES250.

• Praise 1

I would say, wait for the new Audi A6. [:p]

Then make a choice. It will be a watered down A8. [nod]

But for me, if to buy now, it will be the BMW 520d Wagon. [grin]  I need a wagon no matter which car I buy. Lots of barang barang to carry. [laugh]

But for me, if to buy now, it will be the BMW 520d Wagon. [grin]  I need a wagon no matter which car I buy. Lots of barang barang to carry. [laugh]

I saw the amount of barang you bring back in your trip report, I think wagon no enough for you.  Better get this instead.  [laugh]

bb0d3a83bf1b0037a5df63818e6a24aa.jpg

• Praise 4

I saw the amount of barang you bring back in your trip report, I think wagon no enough for you.  Better get this instead.  [laugh]

No lah. I every weekend got this kind of barang barang to transport. [:p]

post-2654-0-31453300-1473680114_thumb.jpg

But for me, if to buy now, it will be the BMW 520d Wagon. [grin] I need a wagon no matter which car I buy. Lots of barang barang to carry. [laugh]

That will be a long wait . The a8 is not even here in SG.
  • Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Since the cars you've shortlisted are comparable in terms of comfort and handling in your opinion, while prestige and reliability are your deciding factors, you can't be wrong picking ES250. Lexus is almost always ranked top in reliability and satisfaction studies. Never mind if SEs of competing brands in your shortlist may try to dissuade you by saying it is a Camry in disguise.

I do feel is camry in disguise.

I would go for merc.

• Praise 1

Both the Lexus and Merc have more panache than a Camry, but the Merc more so. Neither car will attract prolonged stares though.

The Jaguar might.

Agree. Hardly anyone looks twice at a Lexus, Mercedes or BMW anymore. But imagine a white Jaguar, and if you can get an ST 1 license plate.......( probably cost as much as the car I'd imagine). Now that would be ' The Badge!'
  • Praise 1

ES250 really appeared to be the most supported car in term of reliability. Other cars like Merc also seem popular at this area.  

As for Audi A6, BMW 530(typo, should be 530) I hear good review too, I guess these ain't too ridiculously far away, do I really need to be overly concern its reliability?

Like I said, nowadays the reliability is not really mechanical (engine, gearbox etc) but electronics. And the Germans tend to have more of these electronics. For instance, do you know the new 5 Series car key is digital, need to charge like your phone one? Merc also got all sorts of tech systems in the E-Class now. These things are a bit more unpredictable.

Is like handphone, iPhone vs Nokia. iPhone, nice and new and shiny, got many features, but sometimes the system can hang or freeze. Nokia, not so many features, doesn't look so nice, but can last and last.

↡ Advertisement