Strange sound from engine

Suhaimiebrahim

Hi

Need help

There is this roaring sound from engine compartment when car move off from stationary sounded very rough.

Normally about 2000rpm onwards.

When ok highway which rpm is normally below 2000 there is not significant sound.

This roaring sound will sometimes disappear and it will be smooth like baby but most of time it is around.

Abit like modified exhaust sound but my car is stock.

When in neutral and accelerate there is no sound thus engine should be fine and exhaust not leaking.

Honda vezel 2015, 60k mileage

What if you park your car, put to neutral and rev it up, do you hear the same roaring ?
↡ Advertisement

Twincharged

Hi

Need help

There is this roaring sound from engine compartment when car move off from stationary sounded very rough.

Normally about 2000rpm onwards.

When ok highway which rpm is normally below 2000 there is not significant sound.

This roaring sound will sometimes disappear and it will be smooth like baby but most of time it is around.

Abit like modified exhaust sound but my car is stock.

When in neutral and accelerate there is no sound thus engine should be fine and exhaust not leaking.

Honda vezel 2015, 60k mileage

Most likely sound from CVT Gearbox..

my aircon also got bird noise like that  [drivingcar]

You are funny bro.

Normally hi pitch noise is due to belt tension , get it adjust/tighten should solve.

The resale Vezel (petrol) which I recently purchased has a low tone noise that sounded like that of a diesel engine during idling. The car dealer pushed it to their workshop partner. The boss of the workshop said it was due to low viscous engine oil being used and had replaced with a thicker oil for me.

The noise remains there. Workshop said the thicker oil reduces the noise only. Will not eliminate. "It is normal", was the reply.

The noise level appears the same since collection!

Anyone has comments nor experience to share?

Thanks.

The resale Vezel (petrol) which I recently purchased has a low tone noise that sounded like that of a diesel engine during idling. The car dealer pushed it to their workshop partner. The boss of the workshop said it was due to low viscous engine oil being used and had replaced with a thicker oil for me.

The noise remains there. Workshop said the thicker oil reduces the noise only. Will not eliminate. "It is normal", was the reply.

Thanks.

Ask Vezel better.

If manufacturer says use 2Ow EO, just follow

Thanks.

If change to thicker oil and noise still there and same loudness

Then the workshop is bull sitting you.

Tell them don't know say don't know lah and don't put in the wrong spec oil.

:D

• Praise 1

Thanks.

what kind of low tone noise? Or is it some light "tak-tak-tak" or "clak-clak-clak" sound? cause you mentioned it sounded like diesel engine.

if it's the above i mentioned, it might be engine knocking, thus you need to do some ignition timing tuning, or the fastest way is increase the petrol octane, where instead of pumping RON95, you can pump RON98 petrol.

My suggestion, if you're unsure, try one tank of RON98 and see if the problem still persists. Then you'll roughly know.

• Praise 1

Engine knocking is not at regular rhythm. Could be valve related (worn tappets etc), I suspect odo has been clocked back. Vezel is popular with PHV you know.... Good luck!

• Praise 2

Thanks.

Did you compare the noise with another Vezel or not?

Direct fuel injected engine are noisy at idling. And yes it sounds similar to a diesel engine.

what kind of low tone noise? Or is it some light "tak-tak-tak" or "clak-clak-clak" sound? cause you mentioned it sounded like diesel engine.

if it's the above i mentioned, it might be engine knocking, thus you need to do some ignition timing tuning, or the fastest way is increase the petrol octane, where instead of pumping RON95, you can pump RON98 petrol.

My suggestion, if you're unsure, try one tank of RON98 and see if the problem still persists. Then you'll roughly know.

Sounded more like "tak-tak-tak" when the engine has been running for a long while. I realise engines on Vezel are a bit louder than other makes. May be the insulation was less than ideal.

Anyway, I went to three workshops to identify the probable cause.

The first commented that the timing could have run out. Need two days to work on it. Big job I thought.

The second suspected the tappet clearance. The third thought it was also the tappets but not very sure. So I went to the second.

The gap was excessive and was adjusted to a narrower clearance.

Noise was reduced and it has stayed that way for a few days since.

Engine knocking is not at regular rhythm. Could be valve related (worn tappets etc), I suspect odo has been clocked back. Vezel is popular with PHV you know.... Good luck!

Should be the tappets. See my earlier reply.

Several models are also popular with PHV: Altis, Vios, Mazda 3. Look out for other wear-and-tear signs. Again, getting a resale often comprises luck!

Did you compare the noise with another Vezel or not?

Direct fuel injected engine are noisy at idling. And yes it sounds similar to a diesel engine.

Yes, I realise it roars when picking up speed!

Do you use OBD? It's a must-have for any car owner if they want to know what's going on with their car to prevent serious damage. You can buy some cheap one on Amazon and download some free app, like this one https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.motordata.obd. No need to guess.

Workshops that consistently update themselves (or upgrade) do carry OBDs to diagnose. Even if we have one on hand, we still need someone to do the dirty job of dismantling and fixing back!

https://www.quora.com/Why-is-valve-tappet-clearance-in-an-overhead-engine-necessary-to-maintain-properly

Good read, I googled tappets and found this. However it still does not explain how come tappets clearance can be loosen for your case. I am very curious to know but found no answer.

his vezel could be previously used as a PHV, mileage wise maybe 200K or more but sold to him at a very nice believable mileage.

count yourself sway. vezel u want to buy please buy new. dont believe those 1 owner (becos rental company) that is why 1 count of transfer. 

Mileage for 2nd hand cars never to believe they are genuinie unless you are the 1st owner.

Is your ride still under PI warranty? if yes get PI workshop to check it. Else seek a few more opinion before concluding anything.

his vezel could be previously used as a PHV, mileage wise maybe 200K or more but sold to him at a very nice believable mileage.

count yourself sway. vezel u want to buy please buy new. dont believe those 1 owner (becos rental company) that is why 1 count of transfer.

Mileage for 2nd hand cars never to believe they are genuinie unless you are the 1st owner.

Is your ride still under PI warranty? if yes get PI workshop to check it. Else seek a few more opinion before concluding anything.

But drive high mileage will slowly loosen the tappets clearance?

But drive high mileage will slowly loosen the tappets clearance?

tappets over time will be loosen. however also depends on the driving pattern of the driver also, whether high rev etc. all these plays a part. to workshop tappets sound is normal. 

my point here is, this goes to show how heavy used the used vezel being used. so the only good example here is that it was previously a PHV car.

• Praise 1

tappets over time will be loosen. however also depends on the driving pattern of the driver also, whether high rev etc. all these plays a part. to workshop tappets sound is normal.

my point here is, this goes to show how heavy used the used vezel being used. so the only good example here is that it was previously a PHV car.

But lucky ts posted the issue is just tappets clearance issue which can be adjusted. Edited by Yewheng

But lucky ts posted the issue is just tappets clearance issue which can be adjusted.

yes tappets can be adjusted and also it doesnt always need to be adjusted. tappets clearance adjustment is required for high mileage cars with loud tappet noise. So this also explains why taxis engines are always noisy. From what i know, workshop outside dont do tappet clearance adjustment and not many know how to do it. Once anyhow do the timing will be screwed.

I suggest TS to live with the noise, also in the previous thread another guy mentioned his vezel 60K also having sound from engine?? This should be very clear cut that the vezel is a PHV and could have gotten a high mileage adjusted vezel.

So if you want to buy vezel, please buy new ones. Dont go and buy resales as most vezel in the 2nd hand market are likely to be PHV.

Good luck to those vezel owners.

↡ Advertisement