Opel Insignia 2017

therock

You must be dreaming. LOL. After all Opel is still a reliable conti brand in the UK(On par with a VW) asking to match the Mazda's 6 asking price of the 136k for the 2-litres insignia is like just asking Tissot to match the price of a Casio. No doubt the price for the 2 litres is on the high side, judging its just a entry level conti. Listing price should be about 180k range to make it attractive.

Opel reliable? Or you meant as reliable as VW?

Ha ha!

Edited by Volvobrick
↡ Advertisement

You must be dreaming. LOL. After all Opel is still a reliable conti brand in the UK(On par with a VW) asking to match the Mazda's 6 asking price of the 136k for the 2-litres insignia is like just asking Tissot to match the price of a Casio. No doubt the price for the 2 litres is on the high side, judging its just a entry level conti. Listing price should be about 180k range to make it attractive.

Comparing to a VW does not sound like Opel is any reliable. It is a fact Japanese cars are much more reliable workhorse.

Tissot to a Casio? Guess which one last long with hard hits? Take a look at Seikos (esp to real full Japan made like Grand Seikos) if you are in Japan.....

If priced similar to sonata, then it's a no brainer.

Not necessarily so, Insignia base model is diesel with limited options.

Sonata at the price is petrol and full feature packed, including full sunroof.

If aftersales service, cost of part, labour, repairs, reliability etc is a main consideration, one should not consider European brands at all....look at Japanese or even Korean ones....cheaper and bigger.

My opinion is that a car like Opel should at best be priced along brands like Camry, Teana, Mazda6....not along Merc or BMW or Audi....

The current pricing is quite competitive.  When Opel was under Eurokars, it was premium pricing.  Now under Alpine, they're already selling cheaper, and volume of Opel has increased.  This makes stocking up spare parts economically sensible which is good for owners.

Cannot equate Opel with Jap cars.  In accident, Jap cars crumple like paper, you're at higher risk in Jap cars. Opel is solid, the typical German Engineering !   The premium you pay is safety, you never know when you need it.

I own Opel, I know what I'm talking about !  I got 3 accidents in a row in my rear.   After first accident, I haven't repair, got the second, heaven't repair, got the 3rd.   For the 1st accident, the bang was so loud, my head flew forward then got thrown back to the head rest.  I thought my car gone case, I alighted, got a shock of my life, I cannot find a dent, only black marks. ...... THIS IS OPEL.... THIS IS GERMAN ENGINEERING.  The internal reinforcement took the shock, the dent was in the internal steel which not visible.  But after 2nd 3rd accident, the dents were visible.  I'm a safe driver, I don't bang people, PHV bang me when I was stationary in a red light, must be using HP.

Safety is the main reason why I've never bought a Jap car.  But the game is slowly changing. E.g Altis has achieved Euro Ncap 5 star.  But at the moment, conti cars are still leading with their many passive and active safety features.

Comparing to a VW does not sound like Opel is any reliable. It is a fact Japanese cars are much more reliable workhorse.

Tissot to a Casio? Guess which one last long with hard hits? Take a look at Seikos (esp to real full Japan made like Grand Seikos) if you are in Japan.....

Just because of the failures in Golfs and jettas you deemed the brand is unreliable? When we compare something, we compare apples to apples. Thats what I’m saying in my previous post. Comparing a Insignia to a Mazda 6, teana’s category is just no comparison lol.

Hard knocks? If you were to ever own a luxury watch, I doubt you would even abuse it. Besides back to the point, Swiss made vs Japan made. Pricing wise defers due to its origin. Point to note again, German made vs Japanese made. Thats what I’m saying. Slam a Japanese car door comparing to a German made car. You’ll understand the difference already.

The current pricing is quite competitive. When Opel was under Eurokars, it was premium pricing. Now under Alpine, they're already selling cheaper, and volume of Opel has increased. This makes stocking up spare parts economically sensible which is good for owners.

Cannot equate Opel with Jap cars. In accident, Jap cars crumple like paper, you're at higher risk in Jap cars. Opel is solid, the typical German Engineering ! The premium you pay is safety, you never know when you need it.

I own Opel, I know what I'm talking about ! I got 3 accidents in a row in my rear. After first accident, I haven't repair, got the second, heaven't repair, got the 3rd. For the 1st accident, the bang was so loud, my head flew forward then got thrown back to the head rest. I thought my car gone case, I alighted, got a shock of my life, I cannot find a dent, only black marks. ...... THIS IS OPEL.... THIS IS GERMAN ENGINEERING. The internal reinforcement took the shock, the dent was in the internal steel which not visible. But after 2nd 3rd accident, the dents were visible. I'm a safe driver, I don't bang people, PHV bang me when I was stationary in a red light, must be using HP.

Safety is the main reason why I've never bought a Jap car. But the game is slowly changing. E.g Altis has achieved Euro Ncap 5 star. But at the moment, conti cars are still leading with their many passive and active safety features.

+1

Conti is crap. Please get a jap for piece of mind.

My wife and I drive crappy cars as I made the decision to do so.

She now understand why.

• Dislike 1

She now understand why.

Agreed. Crappiest is Italian (maybe can fight with French and British) Germans can be crap. Swedish surprisingly not crappy.

(Refering to reliability only)

• Praise 1

Opel although with design and production in Germany, is ultimately a GM brand. See quote below from https://www.reddit.com/r/Justrolledintotheshop/comments/8273mb/a_500_valve_cover_gasket/dv8cf5d/ on manufacturing tolerances for American brands (like GM and Chrysler)

post-151638-0-33951100-1520691485_thumb.png

Note that VW in Europe is the same status as Toyota in Japan. VW and Toyota never marketed themselves as premium brands so the Tissot comparison is slightly worrying. I don't own a VW but it's not a secret VW has some issues owners need to be more careful about compared to a Toyota. If VW/Opel is a reliable conti brand to you, it's ok to have your opinion but don't insist its true.

And nearer to SG, the Opel Insignia is marketed in Australia under the local brand, Holden so Conti? In China it is a Buick too fyi ;) 

So just buy an Insignia cos you drive and you like it  [thumbsup]  [thumbsup]  [thumbsup]

Edited by Gemmoglock
  • Praise 1

She now understand why.

Which Conti brand was that? Let us know the model and year of manufacture, so that we can avoid it.
  • Praise 1

Got a dislike cos some just cant tell a sacasm from one.

Very sad people.

They simply wants to hear people condemn conti cars and favours jap.

• Praise 1

Opel although with design and production in Germany, is ultimately a GM brand. See quote below from https://www.reddit.com/r/Justrolledintotheshop/comments/8273mb/a_500_valve_cover_gasket/dv8cf5d/ on manufacturing tolerances for American brands (like GM and Chrysler)

attachicon.gifCapture.PNG

Note that VW in Europe is the same status as Toyota in Japan. VW and Toyota never marketed themselves as premium brands so the Tissot comparison is slightly worrying. I don't own a VW but it's not a secret VW has some issues owners need to be more careful about compared to a Toyota. If VW/Opel is a reliable conti brand to you, it's ok to have your opinion but don't insist its true.

And nearer to SG, the Opel Insignia is marketed in Australia under the local brand, Holden so Conti? In China it is a Buick too fyi ;) 

So just buy an Insignia cos you drive and you like it  [thumbsup]  [thumbsup]  [thumbsup]

Yes I agree. I have never said its a premium brand. I was just quoting his price comparison that it should of a Mazda's 6/ Nissan Teana/ Toyota Camry pricing. Sorry if you're a Japanese car owner but a conti is still a conti. If its because of the Tissot comparison then I seriously urge you to take a look at watches. Hahah. Tissot is no where near the big players such as Tag/IWC etc etc. Which in this scenario I feel putting VW/Opel under the "Tissot" category is the best example. I do agree the 2.0 Insignia is a high price to ask for. For its price I would know doubt be looking at the Audi A4 Quattro instead. 

Anyway the conti vs jap has long been going on. So starting a debate online is just way too time consuming. And once again, for people who did not see my initial remark, It was just targeted towards the suggested pricing made by a fellow forumer here. Nothing else. Peace out people. Move on ~ :)

• Praise 3

Got a dislike cos some just cant tell a sacasm from one.

Very sad people.

They simply wants to hear people condemn conti cars and favours jap.

Hahaha. There are lots of people nit-picking conti owners. 

I would say your analogy makes good sense.

Thanks bro. Its the best example I could think of. But then again some people may think Tissot is one of the big players because its sold in Cortina/The Hour Glass. 

Yes I agree. I have never said its a premium brand. I was just quoting his price comparison that it should of a Mazda's 6/ Nissan Teana/ Toyota Camry pricing. Sorry if you're a Japanese car owner but a conti is still a conti. If its because of the Tissot comparison then I seriously urge you to take a look at watches. Hahah. Tissot is no where near the big players such as Tag/IWC etc etc. Which in this scenario I feel putting VW/Opel under the "Tissot" category is the best example. I do agree the 2.0 Insignia is a high price to ask for. For its price I would know doubt be looking at the Audi A4 Quattro instead. 

Anyway the conti vs jap has long been going on. So starting a debate online is just way too time consuming. And once again, for people who did not see my initial remark, It was just targeted towards the suggested pricing made by a fellow forumer here. Nothing else. Peace out people. Move on ~ :)

Cheers! I'm curious how the maintenance cost of A4 and Insignia will compare but I guess they're both too early to compare haha.

I hope I see more Insignias on the road if the price is right, never got sick of it even after seeing countless ones on a short China trip :) The Astra tail end looks quite similar to the incoming Toyota Auris so not too worried about missing the Astra haha.

• Praise 1

Yes I agree. I have never said its a premium brand. I was just quoting his price comparison that it should of a Mazda's 6/ Nissan Teana/ Toyota Camry pricing. Sorry if you're a Japanese car owner but a conti is still a conti. If its because of the Tissot comparison then I seriously urge you to take a look at watches. Hahah. Tissot is no where near the big players such as Tag/IWC etc etc. Which in this scenario I feel putting VW/Opel under the "Tissot" category is the best example. I do agree the 2.0 Insignia is a high price to ask for. For its price I would know doubt be looking at the Audi A4 Quattro instead.

Agreed, a Conti is a Conti and a Jap is a Jap. The point made in earlier post is that the Insignia is overpriced (nothing to do whether it is reliability or whether conti brand like Opel or VW is premium). At least can see that you do agree the suggestion that it is and with that pricing, there are other premium Conti options to look ay, such as Audi as you rightly pointed out.

Honestly, quite a pity as Insignia is a well built car but chances are that people will turn away because of the price. AG needs to review how they get this right. That a look at Astra Tourer, with right pricing similar to the Japs Altis and Mazda3, we can see a couple of those on the road.

Oh yes, VW and Opel is not Premiums. As pointed out by another member here, these are normal everyday salesman cars in Europe. In China VW is 大众 (general public, masses), Opel = Buick.

Edited by Samlimlp
  • Praise 2

Tried to find the OMV of Insignia on LTA's website.  No data can be found for the last 4 months.  Means not a single Insignia was sold?

No wonder when I went to the showroom about 2 months ago to test drive, the salesperson said that I can make a offer and their management will consider.

Looks like sales is jialat for this model.

Edited by Lotr
  • Praise 1

If Skoda brings in the lower variant of superb, it’s the end of Insignia. Lucky the Skoda is high spec, high pricing, insignia still got a bit of chance. Exterior is nice.

↡ Advertisement