Opel Insignia 2017

therock

Just to share my experience since will be collecting my ride at the end of the month.

After some fairly positive experience from friends who had driven opel, we decide to give it a try. Paid the $5k deposit. Surprising the lowest amount i have ever encountered. Manage to rush through the loan paper work 2 days before the  july last coe bidding. End result was out bid  due to the $4k increase. S,A did offer to secure open cat, have to top up 2k but i decline. Told them i have 90% confident they can deliver lah. And they did't disappoint, they did manage to squeeze in at the lowest bid.

Buying a car in singapore is a fairly time wasting event.  Having to compare specf, price, reliability, cost of servicing  etcs....In the end , we just need to manage our expectation. 

Cheer

↡ Advertisement

Just to share my experience since will be collecting my ride at the end of the month.

After some fairly positive experience from friends who had driven opel, we decide to give it a try. Paid the $5k deposit. Surprising the lowest amount i have ever encountered. Manage to rush through the loan paper work 2 days before the july last coe bidding. End result was out bid due to the $4k increase. S,A did offer to secure open cat, have to top up 2k but i decline. Told them i have 90% confident they can deliver lah. And they did't disappoint, they did manage to squeeze in at the lowest bid.

Buying a car in singapore is a fairly time wasting event. Having to compare specf, price, reliability, cost of servicing etcs....In the end , we just need to manage our expectation.

Cheer

Congrats!

Is yours the basic or mid trim?

The amber engine light on the dash came on last Thursday (15 Aug).   Brought the car in for check-up.  Was told that the diesel particulate sensor is faulty (it is a Calais Diesel model).  Hope it is something as simple as changing a sensor.  Not happy for something to go faulty after 16k km.   

Ok.  I have a few more comments with my Holden Calais (aka Opel Insignia):

a)  Fuel consumption:  Can get 6.6l/100km for city driving. (mine is a diesel 2l T).

b)  Good car to do long trips.  Comfortable and good FC (4.9l/100 km on highways).

c)  Good breaking.   Did an emergency brake (almost T-boned a fire engine) from 60kph, Car stopped flawlessly (e.g. ABS kicked in etc), good tire grip (riding on stock 18 inch, Conti Sport Contact 5s) without skidding. 

d)  Tires are good for wet weather driving.  

e)  Good torque (mine has 400nm at around 2400 rpm); good for climbing steep slopes.   

Dislikes

a) Rattling noise (comes and goes) behind the steering wheel on the dash.  Holden has asked me to bring it in (think they know the issue).

b)  The tie-back string of the back flap to cover the trunk can snap at the anchor (i.e. also, the contact point between the flap and the string can cause a rattle).

c)  Car has big turning radius.

d) Lower seating/foot rest plastic trim can scratch easily (and visible too given that it is black in colour).

e)  Some have reported before, at the point of starting the car, the car's info screen and dash will become super bright (like there was a lightning in the cabin) for a short moment before settling back onto normal/default brightness mode.   

f)  The angle on the petrol nozzle hole is a bit awkward . Need to angle the nozzle properly else the nozzle will not dispense properly.   Also, during pull out, given the weird angle (i.e. low), remnant drops of fuel might drip out and land on the nozzle hole or the body just outside the fuel cab.

g)  Some areas (e.g. below the boot line) and mud guards tend to gather water/dirt.

h) My model is fitted with halogen main lights (think the Sgp versions have LEDs) with Led day blinkers.  Weird to have two different temperature lights. Also, halogen lights not as bright (vs my old car and wife's car).  They shouldn't have used halogen bulbs from day one.

i)  Maybe not pertinent in hot Singapore.  The windscreen demister fan is very loud.  

Still happy with the drive.  

The amber engine light on the dash came on last Thursday (15 Aug). Brought the car in for check-up. Was told that the diesel particulate sensor is faulty (it is a Calais Diesel model). Hope it is something as simple as changing a sensor. Not happy for something to go faulty after 16k km.

Are you able to drive still? Sometimes it gets clogged up if you don't drive enough. An easy way method to try is tuas to airport and back to tuas driving around the 100kmh. Do it in the night as that's when you probably can hit that speed on a consistent basis

32 minutes ago, Terence2112 said:

AG Is clearing their insigna grandsport for $112,777, immediate registration. Should be guaranteed COE 

Should be for Innovation trim I believe. 

30 minutes ago, Samlimlp said:

Seems like there are more Insignias on the roads....but many are PHVs

Yeah, seeing more and more including PHVs.

Going for a good price too, imho. But it seems the 2L is not selling. There are no records of the 2L version being registered on the LTA OMV page since Mar 2018.

15 minutes ago, Lotr said:

Going for a good price too, imho. But it seems the 2L is not selling. There are no records of the 2L version being registered on the LTA OMV page since Mar 2018.

2L not worth it, VES surcharge of 20k, AWD and 20 inch rims only

1 hour ago, Terence2112 said:

2L not worth it, VES surcharge of 20k, AWD and 20 inch rims only

But if the pricing is low enough to clear stock., then a different thingy

• Praise 1

55 minutes ago, Hamburger said:

But if the pricing is low enough to clear stock., then a different thingy

Maybe they are really clearing stock as in the stock could be quite old for the 2L

In terms of specs and features vs price, it is really the one to beat but at 161k, most will go for better known brands

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Splinter said:

Went down to take a look - SE informed me that AD will not longer bring in innovation premium trim for the 1.5.

So are there any more innovation premium trim left?  This trim is still listed on their 20 Sep pricelist on sgcarmart

4 hours ago, Lotr said:

Gojek ordered 1000 units for private hire fleet usage earlier this year 

↡ Advertisement