Opel Insignia 2017

therock

(edited)

Coincidentally, I have been driving around in a Holden Commodore 2.0T in the last few days.  It is essentially an Opel Insignia with local suspension tuning.

I was given a brand new car with 1006 km (cos they ran out of Camry I booked) and now it is almost 1700 km (returning the car tomorrow).

It has a continental feel to the ride, engine is smooth but not much low end.  It has to be rev'ed to get going, especially when joining the motorway (100-110 km/h).  While I like the ride (low and high speed) and the smoothness of the engine, the steering does not weigh up enough at high speed and feels a bit weird to me.  It has some sort of lane assist, but frankly I have no idea what it does - sometime the warning light is green, sometimes amber, once I feel a tug on the steering wheel.  I deliberately steered towards one side, but it prompted no response.

It's is front drive I think, so I got the front wheels spinning a couple of times (it's been raining on and off).  9 speed auto is probably an overkill - It goes to 9 only at 100 plus km/h I think, and any overtaking or uphill will cause it to change down to at least 7.  Consumption is about 9l/100km, but that's with quite a lot of highway driving (80-110).

I feel cosy (compared to my ride in Singapore which is more detached), rear space is very good for 2, squeezy for 3.  Trunk space is good enough for 2 large bags only.  I also took the car over some Sungei Gedong-type tracks, no bottoming!

It is very good value, 250 bucks for 6 days, and less than 40K in Aussieland!

And much more fun compared to the Camry Hybrid I rented last week.  (which has 6.9 l/100km consumption).

Hope the above is useful for anyone considering to buy the Insignia.

Edited by Volvobrick
  • Praise 7

(edited)

So has anyone bought the 2litre turbo with AWD?

Any longterm feedback on this car?

I saw on the SGCarmart, that the asking price was initally 200K+

Saw a Black Insignia Saloon with twin chrome "pipes" on test plate last weekend when in Ubi area.

Could it be the 2.0T with AWD?

Edited by Eclipse1
  • Praise 1

I saw on the SGCarmart, that the asking price was initally 200K+

Saw a Black Insignia Saloon with twin chrome "pipes" on test plate last weekend when in Ubi area.

Could it be the 2.0T with AWD?

It could be. The 1.5L test car is white or grey, iirc

Hmm, given the average build quality of the Astra, let's hope they do a better job here, otherwise Opel will find it hard to survive in SG...

since this car is not selling well and reviews are also so-so, genuine buyers can press hard for a good price.

Supersonic

since this car is not selling well and reviews are also so-so, genuine buyers can press hard for a good price.

Depends on whether AD is flexible enough to reduce the pricing.

Depends on whether AD is flexible enough to reduce the pricing.

Worth a shot. When I was there a few months back, the sales actually asked me to counter offer. But I didn't as I am not ready to commit plus the car is not my top choice.

Worth a shot. When I was there a few months back, the sales actually asked me to counter offer. But I didn't as I am not ready to commit plus the car is not my top choice.

What was their initial offer and did they hint at what price they would consider seriously?

• Praise 1