2017 - 2021 2nd Generation Volvo XC60

Wolfverine

Question about tyre calibration.

I pump once in a month but never calibrated because I didn't see any TPMS alert after tyres are inflated. Does that mean tyre calibration is not necessary as long as you pump to the air pressure recommended by Volvo?

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

Hi all,

Took delivery of my XC60 II about 3 weeks ago. So far all good apart from one thing i noticed tho', which i wanted to check with other XC60/90 owners, is the sound that i hear once i park my car after a drive. It sounds like a coin being dropped on a metal plate. Think its metal expanding/ contracting sound. Never heard that before on any of my other cars. I can't hear it when driving but assume it has to be there as well. Has anyone owning the XC60 II come across this? Volvo say its normal and the XC90 has that as well. I don't recall hearing this when i test drove the XC60 a few times! And feedback would be much appreciated.

Dont worry at all.

Confirm that its normal for all cars.

It only happens when you cut off the engine and it cools down.

There is no sound whenengine is running and hot.

The contraction of the metal parts especially the exhaust area makes the thanging and ticking sound when cooling down.

Once it cools down to a point the contraction is within tolerance, sound stops.

Thats like a few minutes.

Every single one of my cars exhibit this, from Volvo to BMW, Audi to Mercy to Porsche.

Even all my motorcycles do the same whether Harley, Ducati, Triumph, honda or kawasaki.

So 100% normal.

Edited by Throttle2
  • Praise 1

The brake pads also make some squealing noise when depressing the pedal in the morning (after long hours parking I guess), but it will disappear with one or two depressing of the brake pedal. I noticed it after about 1000 km. Is it normal for a new car?

Normal.

Not just new cars but also older cars

It just depends on the pads wearing into the rotors creating a frequency.

Nothing to worry about.

Enjoy your 60, its a beautiful SuV

I know I'll be blasted with this question in this thread but just curious for some comments. Given a chance to choose between 2018 Volvo XC60T6 vs 2018 Jag F-Pace 2.0 Petrol, which would you choose in terms of drive, comfort, real performance & reliability. For a start, i test drive both back-to-back on the same day & was caught in this dilemma. Cheers, JG

• Praise 1

I know I'll be blasted with this question in this thread but just curious for some comments. Given a chance to choose between 2018 Volvo XC60T6 vs 2018 Jag F-Pace 2.0 Petrol, which would you choose in terms of drive, comfort, real performance & reliability. For a start, i test drive both back-to-back on the same day & was caught in this dilemma. Cheers, JG

I love the looks of the F-Pace - aside from the Velar, its probably the nicest looking SUV around.

That said, I think the XC60 is just a cut (or two) above the F-pace in terms of interior quality and overall build solidity.  If you are looking at T6, there's a massive power advantage as well (320 to 247 hp and 400 to 365 Nm). 

Handling wise, Jaguar is probably more tuned for performance, while XC60 is probably more for comfort but its not a slouch on the curves either. On balance, I prefer XC60's tuning for a family SUV. 

Not sure about reliability.  Both Jaguar and Volvo aren't known for reliability historically, but heard both have made big strides recently. 

So conclusion is XC60 in a heartbeat.  But lots of fantastic options in this space - new X3 is excellent and if you can stretch budget 10-15%, both GLC 43 and Velar is within reach ...

• Praise 1

I love the looks of the F-Pace - aside from the Velar, its probably the nicest looking SUV around.

That said, I think the XC60 is just a cut (or two) above the F-pace in terms of interior quality and overall build solidity. If you are looking at T6, there's a massive power advantage as well (320 to 247 hp and 400 to 365 Nm).

Handling wise, Jaguar is probably more tuned for performance, while XC60 is probably more for comfort but its not a slouch on the curves either. On balance, I prefer XC60's tuning for a family SUV.

Not sure about reliability. Both Jaguar and Volvo aren't known for reliability historically, but heard both have made big strides recently.

So conclusion is XC60 in a heartbeat. But lots of fantastic options in this space - new X3 is excellent and if you can stretch budget 10-15%, both GLC 43 and Velar is within reach ...

Thanks for the honest thots. Indeed F-Pace caught both wifey n my eyes on first sight. Closing the door behind the test drive car feels awesome, great insulation and cozy feel (thou doesn't looks like) without road nor engine sound as i floor down on sports mode. Indeed F-Pace is tuned for sports driving. The drive is fantastic. Features wise, F-Pace is a complete let-down, total disappointment as compared to XC60 T6. XC 60 only pales in terms of looks. Not considering BMW cos currently driving one. Test drove GLC/Q5, no joy. Lexus NX/RX first look already not keen. Wifey doesn't like Velar thou... so either Jag or Volvo.
  • Praise 1

Thanks for the honest thots. Indeed F-Pace caught both wifey n my eyes on first sight. Closing the door behind the test drive car feels awesome, great insulation and cozy feel (thou doesn't looks like) without road nor engine sound as i floor down on sports mode. Indeed F-Pace is tuned for sports driving. The drive is fantastic. Features wise, F-Pace is a complete let-down, total disappointment as compared to XC60 T6. XC 60 only pales in terms of looks. Not considering BMW cos currently driving one. Test drove GLC/Q5, no joy. Lexus NX/RX first look already not keen. Wifey doesn't like Velar thou... so either Jag or Volvo.

XC60 T6 would be my choice in a heartbeat.

XC60 T5 + Racechip GTS plug-in would also be my choice over the F-Pace.

XC60 T6 would be my choice in a heartbeat.

XC60 T5 + Racechip GTS plug-in would also be my choice over the F-Pace.

My previous generation XC60 T5 has terrible torque steer, in the wet at traffic light, when step on accelerator, the wheel spins left and right, can be scary because too powerful.

This generation I think has AWD, it may cut down some of the torque steer but you should try it out yourself. Otherwise too much power would even with AWD may still be uncomfortable.

I read the Volvo AWD system is still a FWD system which send some power to the rear if the front wheel slip. Thus it is not an ideal system. The reason why Volvo has torque steer is because the engine mounted transverse so there is unequal length to each wheel. It is a common problem with most of the FWD cars with powerful transverse engine. I think some manufacturer like Civic Type R manage to solve this torque steer problem.

My current car is Audi A6, 190bhp to the front wheel also, but very little torque steer because the engine is mounted longitudinally, very rare for FWD cars. Disadvantage is the engine bay is big and it would intrude into passenger cabin if the cabin is small. 

I am also driving old model XC60 1 year old torque steer indeed is scary. That’s why I still love RWD, sometime I missed my C class

May I ask if it’s a T5 or T6?

T5 FWD

Thanks....

I’ve been hearing...but still don’t understand how the T5 can cause TS when the power isn’t that aggressive on a near 1.8tonner. Tyre issue instead?

https://www.volvocars.com/sg/cars/new-models/xc60/specifications

the Haldex system on the T6 is more geared towards the front but the output is greater than the T5...TS is understandable.

My previous generation XC60 T5 has terrible torque steer, in the wet at traffic light, when step on accelerator, the wheel spins left and right, can be scary because too powerful.

This generation I think has AWD, it may cut down some of the torque steer but you should try it out yourself. Otherwise too much power would even with AWD may still be uncomfortable.

I read the Volvo AWD system is still a FWD system which send some power to the rear if the front wheel slip. Thus it is not an ideal system. The reason why Volvo has torque steer is because the engine mounted transverse so there is unequal length to each wheel. It is a common problem with most of the FWD cars with powerful transverse engine. I think some manufacturer like Civic Type R manage to solve this torque steer problem.

My current car is Audi A6, 190bhp to the front wheel also, but very little torque steer because the engine is mounted longitudinally, very rare for FWD cars. Disadvantage is the engine bay is big and it would intrude into passenger cabin if the cabin is small. 

I'm currently driving the same previous gen XC60 T5 with a Racechip to push out ~390NM of torque.

Torque steer has never been a problem except when I forget I'm in a FWD SUV, and floor the accelerator too much when taking off at the traffic lights; or in a wet carpark where I have to be extra careful.

I always use Michelin Latitude Sports 3 tires rotated every 10k, and change around 30k kms or earlier if abnormal wear is detected.

However, I do experience more torque steer before installing the Racechip - the transmission shifts are much smoother thereafter and seems to handle the power much better rather than dumping everything to the front wheels. 

Thanks....

Iâve been hearing...but still donât understand how the T5 can cause TS when the power isnât that aggressive on a near 1.8tonner. Tyre issue instead?

https://www.volvocars.com/sg/cars/new-models/xc60/specifications

the Haldex system on the T6 is more geared towards the front but the output is greater than the T5...TS is understandable.

I am running on 20” rim, the last batch of XC60 before new model comes up. The problem was encounter is when u-turn and like other mentioned wet condition, need to be gentle on the throttle. Anyway this car is not a slouch for 1.7 toner.

Hi to all Volvo owners, just an advice from my own bad experience.

Get your battery changed when its weak before 2 years. Do not let them charge it cos it may last few months longer and after

the 2 year warranty you have to pay for it $320.

Goodluck.

Wearnes having promo for their XC60 demo cars at ard 194k...Maybe if bah bah nego hard hard to 200k for new car.. Never try never know

• Praise 10

any of you got the polestar optimisation package and polestar accessories such as wing mirrorand gear knob?

is it worth?

any of you got the polestar optimisation package and polestar accessories such as wing mirrorand gear knob?

is it worth?

I went for the P* optimisation on the XC90 T6. I share the same feedback that has been observed in the US forum where there is improvements noted on the responsiveness and the gear shift such that the overall drive has improved. As many commented, this is how the stock car should drive!
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1