Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance

Schell31

Hi, may i know if these tyres are still quiet after run in? 

Does it maintain its quietness from 20k to 40k?

Any advise appreciated!

TIA!

Just changed to Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance at Chen Jin Trading over the weekend.

Tyres were 4518. Made in Poland.

Pricing was S$110.00 each for 215/60R16. With 4 Wheel alignment another S$60.00. Pricing is nett.

The staffs there were friendly and efficient.

Initial butt feel as compared to my previous set of Dunlop Enasave EC300 which comes as original set with my ride, these tyres are definately much more grippy.

Tyre noise is much lesser as compared. Most likely because the tyres are still new and rubber compound are not hardened yet.

Will update more after the tyres run in subsequently.

Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance.jpg

Edited by Mzrmazda3
  • Praise 4

After coming to about 10k in mileage on these tyres, the tyre thread still looks good 👍 maybe because as a compact SUV, seldom take corners as compared to driving a sedan 😁

Tyre noise is slightly louder as compared to new but this is common 👌

The tyre grip as compared to the original stock Dunlop Enasave EC300 is still way better and FC to me is just a slight difference of 1-1.5km/ltr.

8B99C58E-E967-47F2-8DA6-49ECD04F22DA.jpeg

• Praise 3

Am deciding between Efficientgrip Performance 2 and AS 5. Both are the same price. Anyone know if there is a significant difference in the noise level? 

I am not looking for all out grip, just low noise and good wet performance. 

On 6/3/2020 at 8:50 PM, Volvobrick said:

Am deciding between Efficientgrip Performance 2 and AS 5. Both are the same price. Anyone know if there is a significant difference in the noise level? 

I am not looking for all out grip, just low noise and good wet performance. 

i am also looking at thees 2 tyre and have similar requirement like you. looking at the Performance 2 thread, it should be quieter than the A5. they have the same number of groove cutting water so wet driving so be ok? the difference probably is in the dry grip?

(edited)
1 hour ago, Earthboy said:

i am also looking at thees 2 tyre and have similar requirement like you. looking at the Performance 2 thread, it should be quieter than the A5. they have the same number of groove cutting water so wet driving so be ok? the difference probably is in the dry grip?

Changing to EG Performance tomorrow. It's same price as AS5. Will review after that. I can only compare with AS 3. 

Edited by Volvobrick
  • Praise 3

(edited)

First report on Efficientgrip Performance 2.  At the workshop, I compared the side wall and weight. EG is lighter, but the side wall (225/50) is much much thinner and softer compared to the AS5. You can easy bend it with you fingers! It is also softer than Yokohama Advant Sport V502 previously on the car.  The threads seem to be the same depth as AS 5, but wear rating is 360 vs 280 for AS 5.

The tyre is quiet, and absorbs the road irregularities well.  Zero tyre noise unless the road surface is very rough. I feel the car rolls along further when off throttle (compared to the old Yokohama). The steering felt lighter when the pressure is set to the car specs. I increased by 3 bar front and rear (original 2.2 bar felt too soft for me with these new tyres) surprisingly the steering weighted up, and the feel gets closer to the old Yokohama (which was already making noise like worn out bearings despite still having 2 to 2.5mm thread left). Still got to experiment with the tyre pressure. Grip wise, can't tell any difference as it is just normal driving. It doesn't feel lacking.

After 1 day, I also realized the WS fitted Extra Load version (called them up, they claimed only the XL version available from Agent) even though the tyres are very light.  I would have preferred normal version.  Do look out for this point if you are considering this tyre. 

Edited by Volvobrick
  • Praise 6

Neutral Newbie
30 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

First report on Efficientgrip Performance 2.  At the workshop, I compared the side wall and weight. EG is lighter, but the side wall (225/50) is much much thinner and softer compared to the AS5. You can easy bend it with you fingers! It is also softer than Yokohama Advant Sport V502 previously on the car.  The threads seem to be the same depth as AS 5, but wear rating is 360 vs 280 for AS 5.

The tyre is quiet, and absorbs the road irregularities well.  Zero tyre noise unless the road surface is very rough. I feel the car rolls along further when off throttle (compared to the old Yokohama). The steering felt lighter when the pressure is set to the car specs. I increased by 3 bar front and rear (original 2.2 bar felt too soft for me with these new tyres) surprisingly the steering weighted up, and the feel gets closer to the old Yokohama (which was already making noise like worn out bearings despite still having 2 to 2.5mm thread left). Still got to experiment with the tyre pressure. Grip wise, can't tell any difference as it is just normal driving. It doesn't feel lacking.

After 1 day, I also realized the WS fitted Extra Load version (called them up, they claimed only the XL version available from Agent) even though the tyres are very light.  I would have preferred normal version.  Do look out for this point if you are considering this tyre. 

Hi, may I know where did you fix your new tyres, and for how much? 

5 hours ago, Volvobrick said:

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/tyre-guides/58907/tyre-guide#:~:text=XL stands for Extra Load,vehicles need to run at.

I’ve often seen ‘XL’ stamped on tyres. What does this mean, and is there a performance advantage?XL stands for Extra Load – or is sometimes referred to as Reinforced. Essentially, tyres bearing this stamp are designed for heavy cars rather than ones that carry big loads. Not only are they constructed to cope with weight, but also the higher tyre pressure these vehicles need to run at. This marking is usually found on lower-profile tyres used on large cars. It highlights the fact they are built to a higher weight rating, as there is nearly always a standard version in the same size in the maker’s range.

• Praise 1

5 hours ago, Volvobrick said:

What car u driving? Why u prefer non XL tyres? 

I used to have a Conti MPV - I always insist on XL even though some tyre shops say no need.

56 minutes ago, Wildfaye29 said:

What car u driving? Why u prefer non XL tyres? 

I used to have a Conti MPV - I always insist on XL even though some tyre shops say no need.

The lighter the unsprung weight (wheel, tyre, brake etc) the better for road holding. So I don't want a tyre that is over spec'ed (and presumably heavier). 

On 6/6/2020 at 2:11 PM, Volvobrick said:

<snip>

<snip>

Hi, thanks for the info. did you have a chance to get into Expressway speed 100/110 kmh, grip ok? is your ride awd setup?

Today got a chance to try out the new tyres in the wet and on the expressway. They performed to expectation, grip was good on the wet expressway (as if it was dry), and went through shallow puddles of water (80-90 km/h) as if they were not there, maybe because the threads are brand new.  The resistance felt for deeper puddles was much lesser compared to my other set of tyres. Noise is minimal at 90-100.

One observation - it seems to lose tyre pressure quicker than my old tyres (0.1 bar over 1 week plus). Maybe because of the thin sidewall.  I may have to pump more often, or over pump by another 0.1 bar.  Fuel consumption seems to be better by 0.1 km/l. Nothing to shout about. 

Overall, the tyres perform to expectations in terms of comfort and wet grip, maybe with more dry grip than initially expected.  Appearance wise, the tyres however always look under inflated with the side wall bulging out.

Neutral Newbie
On 6/6/2020 at 7:11 PM, Volvobrick said:

PM u. 

`

On 6/6/2020 at 2:11 PM, Volvobrick said:

Hi, 
May i know the price and workshop?
Thanks

↡ Advertisement