The new BMW M5 : first look

Aventafreak

xmm prefer weeping in a beemer than laughing on the bicycle  :yeah-im-not-drunk:

famous tiongkok gold digger modern proverb  :XD:

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 9

Twincharged
(edited)

I have never rebadged to make a car look better but neither have I ever debadged. 

If I am driving the real McCoy, I don't mind others knowing it too. Call me haolian but i am paying for that right with my hard earned money.  [nod]

Edited by sake
  • Praise 8

I'm quoting on a phone so please excuse my not paring the text down lol.

I've driven both the 570s and the 720s.

The 570s is a nice car but it's not noticeably quicker than a 911 turbo from a roll.

In contrast, the 720s was the quickest thing I've ever driven. It blew all my previous experiences out of the water, including the 488 GTB. But it doesn't feel manic or frantic. It is so docile at lower speeds yet totally effortless in its power and torque delivery when it is called upon to produce it. Overtaking in even 7th gear at normal expressway speeds becomes a doddle. Truly amazing car.

But, yes, I agree that overall, McLaren suits me bettee than Ferrari, ceteris paribus; acknowledging that it is almost impossible to talk about things truly being equal here - but we'll focus on broadly comparable models. I love the fact that Macs emphasise engineering precision rather than the nebulous notion of "passion" and that appeals to the geek in me.

I had a hankering for a Huracan for a while but now I'm not so sure. Maybe it'll be the 720s next.

:D

Lamborghinis does not really appeal to me, I am more of a ferrari person maybe BUT the mclarens really does appeal to me more and more.

I have never rebadged to make a car look better but neither have I ever debadged. 

If I am driving the real McCoy, I don't mind others knowing it too. Call me haolian but i am paying for that right with my hard earned money.  [nod]

I have been toying with the idea of debadging the car but have not come to a decision yet. Nothing wrong with keeping the original badges on. I just prefer a cleaner look.

• Praise 1

Supersonic

Lamborghinis does not really appeal to me, I am more of a ferrari person maybe BUT the mclarens really does appeal to me more and more.

I have been toying with the idea of debadging the car but have not come to a decision yet. Nothing wrong with keeping the original badges on. I just prefer a cleaner look.

Yeah, McLarens are the up and coming supercar haha.

When I drove the 488 GTB I felt no thrill. Nothing special. In contrast the 458 has something wonderful to it still - at least it's N/A. Between the 488 and the 720s, it's a no brainer for me - the Mac is the clear choice.

I debadged my M140i after the 'i' fell off. But after a few months of stealth driving my wife said she wanted the badge back cos she thought it looked better. Since she drives the car daily, I got a new badge and stuck it on. :D

Supercharged
(edited)

When I drove the 488 GTB I felt no thrill. Nothing special. In contrast the 458 has something wonderful to it still - at least it's N/A. Between the 488 and the 720s, it's a no brainer for me - the Mac is the clear choice.

I debadged my M140i after the 'i' fell off. But after a few months of stealth driving my wife said she wanted the badge back cos she thought it looked better. Since she drives the car daily, I got a new badge and stuck it on. :D

go get the 458 speciale la .... have been thinking about it recently . Maybe a bit strange to sell the 458 / 488 then now go get the 458 S .  

You guys should maybe go try a proper V12 from ferrari lor . 

Edited by Hubwee

Supersonic

go get the 458 speciale la .... have been thinking about it recently . Maybe a bit strange to sell the 458 / 488 then now go get the 458 S .

458 speciale like 430 scud is something that we must pounce on. Cannot wait, long list of hungry people waiting. Sellers also know this, ask for really special(e) prices lol.

Supercharged

458 speciale like 430 scud is something that we must pounce on. Cannot wait, long list of hungry people waiting. Sellers also know this, ask for really special(e) prices lol.

Supersonic

Dun waste time on scud bro , really big diff on performance . Only thing scud is better will be the exhaust sound lor .

Thanks bro. Not driven any of the special versions of the mid engine 8 cyl F cars.

Supercharged

Thanks bro. Not driven any of the special versions of the mid engine 8 cyl F cars.

You should go try the Ferrari V12 also , hear how the exhaust screams at NSHW , still get hooked like me lor ...  

• Praise 1

(edited)

It seems like Singapore, mcLarens are not as popular like in the States. Rarely see any McLarens running around. The 488 Pista might impress you differently from the GTB though I have not driven both the 488 GTB nor the Pista. The turbos have muffled the signature wails of the Ferrari NA engines of yester years. The 720S is a very capable competitor in the supercar world, just that in my humble opinion, it lacks the panache of its italian counterparts though given a chance, financials notwithstanding, I would get a McLaren at this point of time.

Unique and very very quick car at this moment of time. Been a fan of the Ayrton Senna and the McLaren Senna is a beautiful car but given our tax structure here, do not think the local distributor would bring this car in despite how any customer is super VVVVVIP in Singapore.

Driving in stealth mode is really fun, especially people on the roads trying to test how fast your car is. Even with the badges on, some people might doubt and still try to test you haha! Its fun to leave those "challengers" in the dust  [laugh]

Edited by dappercivility

Finally it's TGIF, just got off work and finally got time for a breather and remembered I have an incoming car delivery late next week. Strangely this time round, I haven felt any excitement typical of a few days before taking delivery of any new car. Maybe work has been too hectic of late. Even my other half mentioned, you do not really seem excited this time round. 

By late next week, especially the day before delivery, I might start feeling excitement, will update with some photos of the delivery by end next week. 

Alpina B5. From the side, I still prefer the body kits of the M5.

Agreed on that but the Alpina B5-Biturbo costs almost the same as the M5 Comp. Not my cup of tea though. 

• Praise 2

Supersonic

It seems like Singapore, mcLarens are not as popular like in the States. Rarely see any McLarens running around. The 488 Pista might impress you differently from the GTB though I have not driven both the 488 GTB nor the Pista. The turbos have muffled the signature wails of the Ferrari NA engines of yester years. The 720S is a very capable competitor in the supercar world, just that in my humble opinion, it lacks the panache of its italian counterparts though given a chance, financials notwithstanding, I would get a McLaren at this point of time.

Unique and very very quick car at this moment of time. Been a fan of the Ayrton Senna and the McLaren Senna is a beautiful car but given our tax structure here, do not think the local distributor would bring this car in despite how any customer is super VVVVVIP in Singapore.

Driving in stealth mode is really fun, especially people on the roads trying to test how fast your car is. Even with the badges on, some people might doubt and still try to test you haha! Its fun to leave those "challengers" in the dust [laugh]

Yes, but the rarity is one of the things I love about McLarens. Ferraris are a little common lol. :D

Anyway, I still like the Italian marque. I might get a 458 or even a 3.8T California (definitely not the 4.3 N/A) at some point.

The Senna is definitely being brought in. My contact at McLaren can't divulge how many but our entire national allocation has been taken up. Criteria include being a current McLaren owner and if one has ever had a P1, to have not sold it (I guess this is to filter out flippers like Ferrari does).

Homologation is ongoing. Expect to see the Senna on the road in June/July.

Yes, but the rarity is one of the things I love about McLarens. Ferraris are a little common lol. :D

Anyway, I still like the Italian marque. I might get a 458 or even a 3.8T California (definitely not the 4.3 N/A) at some point.

The Senna is definitely being brought in. My contact at McLaren can't divulge how many but our entire national allocation has been taken up. Criteria include being a current McLaren owner and if one has ever had a P1, to have not sold it (I guess this is to filter out flippers like Ferrari does).

Homologation is ongoing. Expect to see the Senna on the road in June/July.

Ferraris are indeed too common nowadays. McLarens are still way more special on Singapore roads. I do also like the italian exotic still.

The senna would be some eye candy on the roads. Looking forward to seeing the Sennas on Singapore roads!

• Praise 1

(edited)

Just curious...have you guys ever looked at or even considered the i8?

The i8 target market segment is in a way different from the usual exotic cars crowd. The i8 is being marketed as an intelligent, more environmentally friendly product that is why it is under the model designation i instead of M.

At 380bhp, the car is nothing to shout about in terms of performance especially with the  hybrid electric motor & 1.5l petrol engine. 

The i8 has never appealed to me as a high performance supercar which it was never intended to be in the first place. The Audi R8 V10 on the other hand is targeted at the supercar crowd, totally different target market which I am also not their intended market segment.

The rest of the guys here might be interested but not to me. I mean, everyone have their preferences when it comes to cars and the car they like might be extremely diverse.

I would like to own the following (Not in order) at least once in my lifetime:-

1) Porsche GT2RS

2) Pagani Huayra

3) Ferrari F12 Berlinetta not the 812Superfast

4) M5 Competition (Taking delivery later this week)

5) Audi RS6 Avant

6) Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio  

7) McLaren Senna

Edited by dappercivility
  • Praise 3

Supersonic
(edited)

Just curious...have you guys ever looked at or even considered the i8?

Yes. Back when I was driving my F10 M5 I had looked at it. I test drove it at PML.

It's simply not a supercar. It looks the part but that's about it. Personally I'd rather have a wolf in sheep's clothing than the other way around.

It's supposedly about as quick as a stock F10 M5 but I think the latter feels quicker. My chipped M5 felt *much* quicker. And it's not like an i8 is easy to tune either.

Top speed wise, the M5 is capable of much more when delimited.

So the point is missing. It's not as fast in a straight line. It doesn't handle spectacularly (give me an M car anytime). It's not cheap, and certainly not worth what they were asking for it new. Practicality sucks, getting in and out is a nightmare. If I'm going to put up with that crap, it'd better be a true supercar like my McLaren rather than a poser-mobile.

Any reasonable competitor you put up against the i8 emerges an easy winner. Among the BMWs, M wins every time. In the electric-hybrid world, there are now true hypercars like the Ferrari LaFerrari, the Porsche 918 and the McLaren P1. And heck, even a Tesla is able to hammer the i8 into the ground from a performance perspective.

Basically, the i8 is for clueless liberal Hollywood celeb types. In other words, a poser-mobile, as I said.

I did have a bit of fun with the car once, when I got to drift it on the snow in the Southern Hemisphere Proving Ground in Queenstown New Zealand. It wasn't a very good drift car either but the sheer novelty of drifting such an unlikely hybrid sportscar was something.

Edited by Turboflat4
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2