China getting obessed with Jeep

DACH

Actually it looks more like a Hummer H3.

China's Jeep Wrangler Rip-Off Lands In Mexico

http://www.carscoops.com/2017/08/chinas-jeep-wrangler-rip-off-lands-in.html

No, you're not looking at the new Jeep Wrangler. Instead, what you see here is the BAIC BJ40 from China and as the title reads, it is now available in Mexico.

Jeep-Wrangler-China-25.jpg

And in case you're wondering, that windshield price sticker isn't USD but Mexican pesos with $531,900 equaling around US$33,000. The real Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (5d) starts from MX$614,900 or about US$35,000.

Carscoops reader Daniel stumbled upon the Chinese rip-offs at a dealership in San Pedro Garza Garcia and was understandably shocked that they aren't the Jeep models they appear to be.

In his email, Daniel wrote:

“Hey guys, so I was driving today and I came across what I thought was an odd looking Jeep Wrangler, I even thought for a second that it might be the redesigned Unlimited. After a quick google search I learned that it's a chinese copy called the BAIC BJ40. I've never heard of it before, and it just amazes me how FCA lets them get away with them copying their jeeps. Anyway this was in San Pedro Garza Garcia, Mexico, so chinese cars are really just miles away from reaching the US and Canada,” he said.

Those with a keen interest in industry will know that Chinese automakers love to 'take inspiration' from Western vehicles, much to the displeasure of the original manufacturers, like Fiat Chrysler Automobiles. Sadly for them, it is the Chinese government's unwillingness to recognize the often obvious trademark and design infringements that allows the lookalikes to be sold.

Compared to the real Jeep Wrangler, the BJ40 is recognizably different, particularly from the front. At a glance however, it is east to understand why motorists could be confused.

BAIC-BJ40-.jpg

Will FCA sell Jeep to China?

Only Jeep And China Know Exactly What's Going On With Jeep And China

http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2017/8/26/Only-Jeep-And-China-Know-Exactly-What-s-Going-On-With-Jeep-And-China-7740730/

Over the past several days, we’ve received reports that China’s Great Wall Motor Co. is actively interested in purchasing FIAT Chrysler Automobiles (FCA), or just part of it, specifically Jeep. Great Wall’s President was very vocal about her company’s intentions in regards to FCA. And a company spokesman went even further, singling out Jeep as the star attraction. Today, however, Bloomberg is reporting that Great Wall is now saying there are "big uncertainties" about its FCA intentions.

For its part, FCA completely denied any discussions were or had taken place between it and Great Wall, or any other Chinese automaker. It says it’s committed to its existing growth plan, but that plan only goes through 2018. As for Great Wall, not only is it now pouring cold water on all of its previous talk, but is also claiming it hasn’t even contacted FCA’s board. Despite everything, we still think something is going on behind the scenes, informally speaking. Bloomberg further points out a Morgan Stanley estimate that the Jeep brand alone with worth $24 billion – more than half of FCA’s entire market value.

CEO Sergio Marchionne has been vocal in the past about the need for industry "consolidation," hence his desire to merge with GM, for example. So it really shouldn’t come as much of a surprise to hear about supposed early talks with a Chinese carmaker, especially given Jeep’s high market value. What was surprising was how Great Wall’s president publically said one thing, while FCA denies any discussions, and Great Wall is now walking back on its words. What will happen tomorrow or in the following days? We’re just as intrigued as many of you are.

↡ Advertisement

Well to be honest. If they can make a good quality car with aggressive/competitive pricing and proper customer support. Why not?

Who knows might shake up the car industry. Haha

Jeep is part of the Fiat-Chrysler family. They have a nasty reputation for making unreliable s***-boxes and treating their customers like human excrement.

Our PRC cousins generally don't have very good taste when it comes to choosing stuff. To them, the more expensive something is, it (incorrectly) translates to something being of higher quality.

They have a great liking for very large vehicles (which is why Volvos are getting larger), because it reflects on status of the buyer.

Edited by DK3410
↡ Advertisement