Sideswipe Accident Insurance Claim

Agnoxis

29 minutes ago, Justicelegends11 said:

Hi anyone using FWD car insurance and claim third party insurance previously? If unsuccessful, can I claim back my own insurance? As stated in my policy, I have to claim within 14days from incident date. Or should I choose own damage claim first and submit third party claim later on? As the third party car changed suddenly from lane 2 to lane 1 and bumped into my front bumper and fender , hence the AD assessor suggested me to claim own damage first. This is because the winning percentage is just 50%. Besides that, I have communicated with third party and he claimed under my insurance. If I choose to claim under own damage, is this self declaration that I’m at the wrong side during the accident ?Can anyone advise on the situation? Many thanks

I am with FWD and face similar accident in 2018. Just go to any authorised workshop and they will advise accordingly. However, the case will take long tine to settle and there will be 1 claim under your record meanwhile. As long, you remain in FWD for next renewal, they will honor your existing NCD, 50% for my case. 

I paid for my own repair in cash($180), since it was minor. Last heard was third party attempted to full claim my insurance but FWD rejected. I didn't really follow thereafter as it don't affect my NCD. 

Edited by Optramagnum
↡ Advertisement

23 minutes ago, Justicelegends11 said:

Hi anyone using FWD car insurance and claim third party insurance previously? If unsuccessful, can I claim back my own insurance? As stated in my policy, I have to claim within 14days from incident date. Or should I choose own damage claim first and submit third party claim later on? As the third party car changed suddenly from lane 2 to lane 1 and bumped into my front bumper and fender , hence the AD assessor suggested me to claim own damage first. This is because the winning percentage is just 50%. Besides that, I have communicated with third party and he claimed under my insurance. If I choose to claim under own damage, is this self declaration that I’m at the wrong side during the accident ?Can anyone advise on the situation? Many thanks

If you are claiming 3rd party, repair will not start until claim is approved.

You should just claim own damage first and get the workshop to claim 3rd party. You need to pay excess first. If 3rd party claim is successful, they will refund you the excess paid.

That's what I did 3 years ago when someone rear ended my car.

Claim own damage does not mean admit liability.

• Praise 1

40 minutes ago, Optramagnum said:

I am with FWD and face similar accident in 2018. Just go to any authorised workshop and they will advise accordingly. However, the case will take long tine to settle and there will be 1 claim under your record meanwhile. As long, you remain in FWD for next renewal, they will honor your existing NCD, 50% for my case. 

I paid for my own repair in cash($180), since it was minor. Last heard was third party attempted to full claim my insurance but FWD rejected. I didn't really follow thereafter as it don't affect my NCD. 

So you choose third party claim in your case? Thanks

41 minutes ago, Sx4falcon said:

If you are claiming 3rd party, repair will not start until claim is approved.

You should just claim own damage first and get the workshop to claim 3rd party. You need to pay excess first. If 3rd party claim is successful, they will refund you the excess paid.

That's what I did 3 years ago when someone rear ended my car.

Claim own damage does not mean admit liability.

I see, thanks for your explanation. How if 3rd party claim is unsuccessful, can I still object the claim? Since it is under AD to follow up for my case and my insurance (fwd) will Not follow up right? Do you know where to raise the objection if claim is unsuccessful? Thanks 

16 minutes ago, Justicelegends11 said:

I see, thanks for your explanation. How if 3rd party claim is unsuccessful, can I still object the claim? Since it is under AD to follow up for my case and my insurance (fwd) will Not follow up right? Do you know where to raise the objection if claim is unsuccessful? Thanks 

Not sure about the objection part. Both insurance company will negotiate and decide. You might want to call the insurer claim department to check.

AD is just acting as workshop who help to raise the claim.

Edited by Sx4falcon

6 minutes ago, Sx4falcon said:

Not sure about the objection part. Both insurance company will negotiate and decide. You might want to call the insurer claim department to check.

AD is just acting as workshop who help to raise the claim.

Thanks for your reply. I have called my FWD claim department, however they told me is 50% of chances of successful. Hence, I have suggested another party to self settlement as my car is minor damage and I can get outside WS to do at $400-500+ (AD quoted 3k as the new bumper and new fender will be replaced) Without affected my NCD and future premium. But, the another party rejected my suggestion as his repair cost is expensive. Therefore, I’m not sure whether to file third party or own insurance claim for my case. 

2 minutes ago, Justicelegends11 said:

Thanks for your reply. I have called my FWD claim department, however they told me is 50% of chances of successful. Hence, I have suggested another party to self settlement as my car is minor damage and I can get outside WS to do at $400-500+ (AD quoted 3k as the new bumper and new fender will be replaced) Without affected my NCD and future premium. But, the another party rejected my suggestion as his repair cost is expensive. Therefore, I’m not sure whether to file third party or own insurance claim for my case. 

My suggestion is to claim own damage first, then get the workshop to follow up with 3rd party claim. 

Since it is likely 50/50, and the other party is raising the claim, your NCD is going to be affected anyway plus additional loading to your renewal premium, even if you don't claim own damage.

16 minutes ago, Sx4falcon said:

My suggestion is to claim own damage first, then get the workshop to follow up with 3rd party claim. 

Since it is likely 50/50, and the other party is raising the claim, your NCD is going to be affected anyway plus additional loading to your renewal premium, even if you don't claim own damage.

Hmm Okay, I think I should follow your suggestion first and see how is the progress later on. Thanks bro 

On 8/28/2017 at 5:33 PM, Agnoxis said:

Interesting how the video can garner different responses from different people. I had been in the lane for a while and signal was on for quite a while before filtering out. I generally don't take much risks on the road, which explains 13 years of accident-free driving so the lane I was moving into was definitely clear.

Some people tell me it's very obvious he was filtering in from Lane 3 (u can see his car angled at 45deg when collision happened) yet others say he can still claim he's going straight. Some even tell me it looks like he's at fault cos I was ahead in the lane and then he came in and hit me, but I think it looks quite a clear cut case of 2 vehicles merging into the same lane.

In any case, assuming it's a 50-50 (insurance workshop told me so based on my video), a few scenarios could unfold.

1. Ownself settle ownself

I pay for my damage approx $100,he pays for his approx $500. All else remains status quo.

2. He claims me

I pay for my damage, he claims thru my insurance. Repair quote inflates to 5k. My insurance pays 2.5k, he pays 1k excess, his insurance pays 1.5k. All lose NCD and get loaded.

3. Mutual claim

I've been in 2-3 accidents in past few years where it was always clear cut other party's fault and they asked me to private settle and I was fine with it. Option 1 is obviously the cheapest and yet, he wants to proceed with claiming. Pay 500 out of own pocket vs pay 1k excess and let workshops charge inflated repair bills. I wonder if he's really so confident the fault lay with me.

Anyway thanks for all opinions and insights. Wanted an unbiased assessment and I sure got it..

Both will claim no fault but from video, both were at fault. Easiest is to settle ownself as some had said here. 

I don't know who pay how much. 

All I know is change lane check blind spot mirror or swing head to sew no car. 

:D

↡ Advertisement