Got bicycle, will travel.

The_Bear

I remember one of the happiest and most exciting time when I was a kid was when my parents bring us cycling at East Coast Park on weekends. The rush of speed and sense of adventure that the 2 wheels can bring. Nearly 4 decades later, I finally got myself a bicycle and it has been another adventure on 2 wheels for the last few months. First I rode around the estate, then to the next estate. 10km became 20km. 20 became 40. Before I knew it, I wanted to do a round the island. And round the island I did, alone, with my bicycle. It's about 125km if u ask.

This article, I wish to provide some basic information to anyone who is interested in getting their first bicycle after a long long time and getting on the road to anywhere. I am not an expert but I have done some kilometeres on my bicycle the last few months. There are a wealth of information on bicycle and cycling by experts and people who knows much more on the net. I am sharing my personal experience of starting off on the bike for someone who started with zero knowledge.

1) Type of Bicycle

Depending on who you ask, buying a bicycle can be as easy as buying an apple from NTUC or as complicated as buying a car. I will keep it simple here. Get a Hybrid. With all the different classifications of bikes, it seems a daunting task to choose one that suits your need. Thinking we are clever, we go google. Head explodes. Let me make it simple. Most of us will be planning to ride on the PCN, around the estate, try to stay off the road, on the pavement, sometimes on the grass patch. A hybrid is all you need. It is versatile and basic for beginners. You might want to move on to more specific types later on depending on your interest. Most people tends to gravitate towards Mountain Bike because they think it is the one bike fits all solution. It is not wrong but the way I see it, a hybrid makes more sense for beginner cyclist in SG. Everything else being equal, a hybrid is easier to ride with it's slimmer tyres and upright position. Tyre width of 32-40mm seems to be a good trade off between comfort and rolling resistant for a beginner. Most of the hybrids are 700c diameter. Which is sort of equilvalent to 29".

2) Brand / Price (it is not THAT expensive)

After getting your first bike, there are 2 ways this could go. If you liked it, this will not be your last bike. If you don't like it, this will be your last bike. What I want to say is don't overspend on the first bike. You can pick up a Hybrid from NTUC and GIANT(the supermarket) for less than $300. I wouldn't advise. There are many affordable hybrids from reputable brands such as TREK, POLYGON, GIANT(not the supermarket), MERIDA etc. They will do bike fitting for you and some basic set up. You could get a very decent (but basic) bike for less than $1k. I am riding a Polygon Heist 2 which cost less than $600. You can see it here http://www.mycarforum.com/topic/2705946-got-bicycle-will-travel/?p=6202970. I linked the OZ website because it has more details. SG dealer's website http://store.rodalink.com.sg/2016-heist-2.0-26/

Notice I don't talk much about bike weight. Many purists will see it as an important criteria. Even the ignorant will echo this sentiment. Light weight is good, if u intend to go really fast and far. For every Kg shaved, the cost goes up exponentially. Most of the bikes mentioned afore is in the range of 12-14kg. Not exactly light. I dun want to sound rude but with the rider, most of the weight penalty is the rider. In a way, a heavier bike makes u push harder thus losing the KGs faster. One stone, 2 birds.

3) Components

The key word among enthuaist, professionals And the show-offs. Shimano, Shimano and more Shimanos. I have no doubts these are critical. But for a beginner, keep it simple. Entry level components will do the trick.

4) Accessories

2 words - 淘宝. Lights, bags, bells, bottle cages. Search 自行车, thats what they call it in China.

Front lights - You can generalize under 2 categories

a) To be seen - Increases your visibilty to other road users. Preferably blinking. Usually lower powered and small.

B) To see ahead - This is where u start talking serious lumens. I dun recommend to get from taobao as my experience is that their power source is still unreliable. We dun really need a powerful front beam in SG riding but I need to admit I have a fetish for flashlights. A good flash light with high output, endurance and linear delivery will set u back $120 - $200. I am using a Bontrager 700 lumens. I like overkill. Frankly, 100lumens is sufficient for general riding in SG. Really.

Back light - As a driver, I hate low vis cyclist. So I have at least 2 rear lights. Flashing to increase visibilty and non-flashing for others to easier judge my speed and path. I have another smaller one on my helmet as it is the highest point and most visible from far.

Bike Computer - Not necessary but I like numbers. Cateye Velo wireless is a simple and robust unit. About $50+ including set up and installation.

5) Attire

PT kit. Avoid shorts with too loose crotch as it can get caught on the seat front. Leave the spandex, clip ons to the professionals. You are not going that fast and far yet. Other than Taobao, Decathlon is a good place to pick up those stuffs. Helmet, glove, padded pants etc. Wear bright clothings, that is common sense. It gives you the excuse to wear that gaudy orange Tee or that shocking pink top you always wanted to release your inner Ah Lian.

6) Storage and Transport

Again Taobao. Free standing bicycle racks. I have a pole mounted stand for 2 bikes.

For transport, Saris bike rear bike rack. After some practics, i can mount the rack and 2 bikes with my missus in 6.5 minutes. Yes, bicycles can be a hassle to store in our pigeon hole but that is the way it is.

7) Make a plan, go somewhere.

I live in Sembawang. Everywhere is far. It is no fun cycling in circles. I made plans to go somewhere. Semabwang beach - Yishun - Woodlands waterfront - Coney Island - Changi Village. Each time further, looping back via East Coast and town. Go somewhere, eat something. You will be surprised how much more u see on 2 wheels.

8) and finally, be safe and ride safe. Here are some of the latest guideline from the Gov.

https://www.gov.sg/factually/content/how-are-we-keeping-our-footpaths-cycling-paths-and-roads-safe

http://www.todayonline.com/lifestyle/laws-cyclists-ought-know

Eventually, you might get on the road. It is faster and in a way, safer on certain stretches. Ride like the way you would want other riders to be when you drive.

I hope all this will make it easier to get started on cycling for someone looking to do it. The main thing here is not to overthink about the bicycle and stuffs but to just get a bike and cycle the shit out of it. From there on, it will be another journey of discovery to your next bike.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 31

Great post from the bear.

I confess.

I don't know how to cycle. haha  [laugh]

*Raises hand* I must also confess that I don't know how to cycle.  I'm a decent runner though.  

[laugh]

• Praise 2

*Raises hand* I must also confess that I don't know how to cycle.  I'm a decent runner though.  

[laugh]

wah Hi Five. But i better learn before my daughter does. Or else malu max  [laugh]

wah Hi Five. But i better learn before my daughter does. Or else malu max  [laugh]

I already malu max.  My daughter has offered to help teach me.   [:p]  [:p]

• Praise 1

I only learned how to cycle at age 18 before NS.  My 3 kids all I teach them how to cycle, and this dad hold their bicycle behind while they ride, imagine my back cannot stand up straight  by the time end, and how much cardio I did running behind them.  ^_^

Best thing is, I san san went to take class 2 at age 17, not knowing how to cycle. The instructor looked at me and lesson 1 i only get to long tyre the whole session.  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

Edited by Tianmo
  • Praise 1

please dun turn a professional cycling thread into a amateur 'teach me how to cycle' thread ok!   [mad]

i use to run behind holding the back seat of the bicycle when kids riding, most of them can balance and cycle within 2 hours   :D   now old liao cannot catch up   [laugh]  [laugh]

• Praise 1
  • Dislike 1

post-18199-0-70355800-1503904027_thumb.png

Round-the-island route on Mapometer. Starting from Labrador Park, clockwise. We kicked off at 2pm and finished at 1am. 11 hours but we took many breaks for photos, rest, water. I plan to start at 2pm so I can finish the western sector and Neo Tiew in daylight (Neo Tiew only road on 2 way street). We got back to Sembawang around 6pm. Change of clothes, fill up water, some snacks etc. The rest of the 65km is mostly on PCN and darkness but at least not that hot.

Dinner at Jalan Tebing, sugar cane juice at Changi Village and more sugar cane juice at Laguna hawker. The new extended corridor at Changi coast road now adds about 5km to the loop.

Pain everywhere the next 4 days. Places you never knew muscles existed.

• Praise 5

The longest i cycle is fr jurong to changi.At changi village brain not thinking properly and girls started to look like men. [dizzy]

• Praise 1

please dun turn a professional cycling thread into a amateur 'teach me how to cycle' thread ok!   [mad]

i use to run behind holding the back seat of the bicycle when kids riding, most of them can balance and cycle within 2 hours   :D   now old liao cannot catch up   [laugh]  [laugh]

2hrs? Now I give you hold 20 min, you ji tao hong kan.  [laugh]  [laugh]  

The longest i cycle is fr jurong to changi.At changi village brain not thinking properly and girls started to look like men. [dizzy]

girls look like men = safe ...  

men look like girls... now thats dangerous ... at changi....    that area is far too fencing prone.. 

• Praise 2

I remember one of the happiest and most exciting time when I was a kid was when my parents bring us cycling at East Coast Park on weekends. The rush of speed and sense of adventure that the 2 wheels can bring. Nearly 4 decades later, I finally got myself a bicycle and it has been another adventure on 2 wheels for the last few months. First I rode around the estate, then to the next estate. 10km became 20km. 20 became 40. Before I knew it, I wanted to do a round the island. And round the island I did, alone, with my bicycle. It's about 125km if u ask.

You did round island with PCN or roads? Used to ride a lot but stopped a some years ago. Cycling upslope can be quite torturing. [laugh]

hopefully i can minimise this. I got my girl a balance bike. She's improved with it significantly this year (turning 5). Probably can just forgo the training wheels and get her a real bicycle next year.

My back is quite chui, better do more back exercises train up first  [laugh]

You did round island with PCN or roads? Used to ride a lot but stopped a some years ago. Cycling upslope can be quite torturing. [laugh]

PCN where available. Pavement mostly across Keppel, West Coast, Benoi. Road from Jln Bahar into Lim Chu Kang, Neo Tiew and out to Kranji and Woodlands. Then road across Seletar island to Punggol. From Punggol to East Coast via Changi mostly PCN. Across Marina barrage into town. Town side road and pavement back to Labrador.

"Without upslopes, where art the thrill of downslope?" - The Bear 2017

PCN where available. Pavement mostly across Keppel, West Coast, Benoi. Road from Jln Bahar into Lim Chu Kang, Neo Tiew and out to Kranji and Woodlands. Then road across Seletar island to Punggol. From Punggol to East Coast via Changi mostly PCN. Across Marina barrage into town. Town side road and pavement back to Labrador.

"Without upslopes, where art the thrill of downslope?" - The Bear

i'd rather flat ground all the way. When i ride e-scooter even gentle slopes down i also bit kiasee  [:p]

I thought changi village is a place where men look like girls.

How come it is the opposite for you?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1