Wheel Spacer Installation DIY

Vratenza

Lol, I have other DIYs but are all car model specific, so not useful to post it here. 

:D

Amazing job. that feeling of achievement after a DIY project is just indescribable. 

so...what's next?  [laugh]

Wait I go research on jet engines first ok? I prefer a jet propulsion car.  :D

At the rate TS is going with his various DIY, we may see a spacer plus a ceiling fan mounted on the roof of the car and voila - helicar

↡ Advertisement

-25 mm offset on a stock wheel is quite a lot

did you measure significant differences to the camber angles before and after the spacers?

might have uneven tyre wear on the inner side over a period of time due to a more negative camber

I did not measure the camber but what I base on is the fact that GLC factory rims are from 18-21"

From 19" onwards are mainly staggered.

post-24957-0-71838600-1505126570_thumb.png

I put in my stock rear rim stats into this wheel offset visualizer against the stats for a factory 19" staggered set:

https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/?wheel1=235-55-19X8ET38&wheel2=255-50-19X9ET20&fcl=50mm&wcl=30mm&scl=50mm&sr=0mm

The factory staggered rear rims will result in a positive scrub radius of 19mm. By putting my 25mm spacers, I have increased my scrub radius by 25mm. A 6 mm difference compared to factory 19" staggered set. 

Based on what i read up, scrub radius do not affect the non-steering axle as much as the front steering axle. 

You are right that the extra camber will likely increase the inner side wear more. So more frequent rotation of the wheels are important in my case.

That's why I am investing in a set of jack stands so that I can do my own wheels rotation ...akan datang  :D

-25 mm offset on a stock wheel is quite a lot

did you measure significant differences to the camber angles before and after the spacers?

might have uneven tyre wear on the inner side over a period of time due to a more negative camber

Edited by Vratenza

I did not measure the camber but what I base on is the fact that GLC factory rims are from 18-21"

From 19" onwards are mainly staggered.

attachicon.gif2017glc_wheel_data_b6b82bd51fd62fac7173d142dce502f7123c40bc.png

I put in my stock rear rim stats into this wheel offset visualizer against the stats for a factory 19" staggered set:

https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/?wheel1=235-55-19X8ET38&wheel2=255-50-19X9ET20&fcl=50mm&wcl=30mm&scl=50mm&sr=0mm

The factory staggered rear rims will result in a positive scrub radius of 19mm. By putting my 25mm spacers, I have increased my scrub radius by 25mm. A 6 mm difference compared to factory 19" staggered set. 

Based on what i read up, scrub radius do not affect the non-steering axle as much as the front steering axle. 

You are right that the extra camber will likely increase the inner side wear more. So more frequent rotation of the wheels are important in my case.

That's why I am investing in a set of jack stands so that I can do my own wheels rotation ...akan datang  :D

you need a battery impact wrench to make it easier too.

Nah, only 1 time check at 150km after the first fitting to make sure it is not coming loose. After that can just double check every time I am rotating the tires. 

Of cos I will prefer to have preferred offset rims but that will mean a staggered setup which at this point I am not ready to go back to after my previous W203 on staggered 18" prodrives setup.

Staggered setups are very nice to fit and see. But when it comes to tire rotation , you are essentially eating up the tires twice as fast since you can only swap left with right. So the uneven tire wear cannot be rotated out at all.  

And selling the rims before i traded in my car was a pain as the staggered setup means your potential buyer pools are very much limited compared to non staggered set.

I might eventually go for a staggered 20" but that will probably be another 1 to 2 yrs down the ownership. I don't like the current AMG 20" design at all, so at this point I highly doubt so. 

every 150km retighten? tats like how many days of driving.

to me, fitting wheels with the preferred offset is better. less troublesome also

I dont know about you guys, but here is my concern about wheel spacers. 

It is structurely unsound. 

In my exagerated diagram, you will look a the blue arrow and notice that the shock absorber and support to the chassis is totally stressed

post-184364-0-58225200-1506839449_thumb.jpg

• Praise 1

I dont know about you guys, but here is my concern about wheel spacers. 

It is structurely unsound. 

In my exagerated diagram, you will look a the blue arrow and notice that the shock absorber and support to the chassis is totally stressed

Make sure your car's suspension is designed to take the additional stress:

GLC 250 19inch non-staggered

post-24957-0-20708900-1506852832_thumb.jpg

GLC 43 AMG 21inch staggered

post-24957-0-04057900-1506852847.jpg

See how much offset the 21inch staggered rear pushed the rear wheels out that it required a flared fender to maintain the flush look.

That additional offset along with heavier 21 inch rim and tire weight is going to stress the suspension components much more than stock 19 inch on 25mm spacers.

• Praise 1

Make sure your car's suspension is designed to take the additional stress:

GLC 250 19inch non-staggered

GLC 43 AMG 21inch staggered

But I would think that a GLC43 has a very different suspension setup compared to a GLC250.

Yes, did consider that in my research as well.......from what I know, it's the same, especially GLCs that are specced with the optional  AMG Line which includes the AMG sports suspension (firmer and slight shorter metal springs with firmer shocks). The factory parts numbers are the same.

Unless you are talking about the optional Air Suspension which is tuned differently between a GLC 43 vs GLC 250  (if optioned)

But I would think that a GLC43 has a very different suspension setup compared to a GLC250.

Neutral Newbie

What is the quality of wheel spacers for H&R?I just know the brand of ECS turning, Eibach, BONOSS, some days ago, I buy the BONOSS forged lightweight plus wheel spacers for my car, Just installed, do not know if the effect good or bad, the appearance is very good. www.bonoss.com

Nice work! or maybe 35mm spacers to make it more flush with the fender will have a better look.

I  had 20mm wheel spacers(from bonoss) for front and rear on my Lexus IS F.

The back of these grooves design is quite unique, they called it"active cooling" grooves, for it uses the rotation of the wheel spacers to make the external cold airflow efficiently and continuously inside the wheel spacers to take away the heat.

1014662779_AfterBONOSSforgedlightweightpluswheelspacersonLexusISF2010frontrear20(5).thumb.jpg.26695bdf0bbcc937009c314d6a20d2a5.jpg262480206_BONOSSforgedactivecoolingwheelspacersLEXUSISF2010.thumb.jpg.cb6eba443930c12ca932005ad1349874.jpg

I have to say, wider stance really makes him into a new look!

1162436348_AfterBONOSSforgedlightweightpluswheelspacersonLexusISF2010frontrear20(2).thumb.jpg.124283e23b445fba31411724dd4cf8a3.jpg

1206451660_BONOSSforgedlightweightpluswheelspacersonLexusISF2010frontrear20.thumb.jpg.0e02adffaca170a703432b7a8327ddc4.jpg

534061224_BONOSSforgedlightweightpluswheelspacersonLexusISF2010frontrear20mm.thumb.jpg.40d4b49da6adb0bf1f9be4b1451d0198.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1