Next Car: Must be Turbo, SUV

MQX87511

My Current car's COE is going to end next year, during my past around 20 years driving experience, always Manual, Sedan, NA engine, therefore my next car:

1. Must be:

SUV + Turbo with decent Price

2. Better to be:

Manual (it's a Dream Only) , MIJ, good FC,

3. Never consider:

Sedan, Conti(Overpriced and low reliability) and Korean (roughness) brands

based on above criteria, easily narrow to following:

1. Forester XT (wait for new gen launching next year)

Pros: Attractive price, Powerful engine, fast acceleration, specious interior, AWD

Cons: High FC, High Insurance, CVT, Burn engine oil (Hear said), Subaru Badge (ah Beng)

2. CRV-1.5T

Pros: Low FC, Low road tax (1.5L only), low insurance, Honda badge(reliability), My current and past cars all Honda(loyalty discount if any),

Cons: Ridiculers high price, underpowered (1.5L only), FWD only, only 2 Airbag for 5seat model, CVT, MIT,

3. Harrier 2.0T

Pros: Powerful engine, fast acceleration, specious interior, Toyota Badge(reliability), DCT, Decent FC,

Cons: FWD only, price High,

Kindly advise Which one should I...

Edited by MQX87511
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

My Current car's COE is going to end next year, during my past around 20 years driving experience, always Manual, Sedan, NA engine, therefore my next car:

1. Must be:

SUV + Turbo with decent Price

2. Better to be:

Manual (it's a Dream Only) , MIJ, good FC,

3. Never consider:

Sedan, Conti(Overpriced and low reliability) and Korean (roughness) brands

based on above criteria, easily narrow to following:

1. Forester XT (wait for new gen launching next year)

Pros: Attractive price, Powerful engine, fast acceleration, specious interior, AWD

Cons: High FC, High Insurance, CVT, Burn engine oil (Hear said), Subaru Badge (ah Beng)

2. CRV-1.5T

Pros: Low FC, Low road tax (1.5L only), low insurance, Honda badge(reliability), My current and past cars all Honda(loyalty discount if any),

Cons: Ridiculers high price, underpowered (1.5L only), FWD only, only 2 Airbag for 5seat model, CVT, MIT,

3. Harrier 2.0T

Pros: Powerful engine, fast acceleration, specious interior, Toyota Badge(reliability), DCT, Decent FC,

Cons: FWD only, price High,

Kindly advise Which one should I...

Your criteria is so narrow, you don't have many choices. By limiting to turbo, SUV, non conti, non Korean, you are only left with Toyota, Honda, Subaru and Nissan. At most can add in 1 more choice, Nissan Qashqai.

Harrier and CRV are same price, it doesn't make sense to get the CRV as it is lower spec. In fact, CRV is the worst choice out of the 4 as it's most expensive and least features.

Qashqai you might find underpowered, but it is a savings of 40k from Harrier.

So it's really down to XT vs Harrier. I would take the XT as it's value for money choice, only slightly lesser features than Harrier but pricing is 16k lesser.

• Praise 2

Forester XT indeed attractive price, it's in my top list of options, but in my impression, Subaru owners always paid more attention on his car then his job, such as modify engine increasing performance, adding performance parts etc., as a executive professional definitely I have no so much time on my car than my job, the car should service me not I service it, this is why I choose Honda or Toyota in past decade,

Forester XT indeed attractive price, it's in my top list of options, but in my impression, Subaru owners always paid more attention on his car then his job, such as modify engine increasing performance, adding performance parts etc., as a executive professional definitely I have no so much time on my car than my job, the car should service me not I service it, this is why I choose Honda or Toyota in past decade,

It's all about choices.

Not all Subaru car owners modify their cars.

Some keep it really stock even till their COE lifespan expires.

• Praise 4

checked Forester XT vs X3/Q5/XC60, performance wise FXT doesn't lost to them, but price wise X3/Q5/XC60 price is enough for me to buy a FXT plus a Altis for my wife

Edited by MQX87511
  • Praise 1

There's no such thing as a manual SUV in Singapore anymore.

I would suggest you take a test drive of the three cars before you decide. Forester and Harrier feels very different TBH.

CR-V also quite new so would be worth trying too.

Should consider CX-5, Sportage, Ateca and Tiguan as well.

The new CX-5 is executed very well. Kia has improved a lot and worth a revisit - Kia of today isn't the Kia of yesterday. Tiguan / Ateca are excellent choices as well.

No point artificially limiting the options when you are spending $160k.

• Praise 2

LR Discovery, you need to reward yourself. Otherwise go for CRV since ur live and breath Honda  :meaw:

agreed, when I retired, surely get a LR,

got  a lot of free time to spend at workshop :grin:

Edited by MQX87511
  • Praise 2

I think all suv the fc is not very good , so for fxt it is not exactly bad fc. Also, higher insurance for subaru cars doesn't make sense. Insurance premium is tied to car value and driver profile.

• Praise 1

Mitsubishi Outlander also not bad as well.

Turrrr booo brother

LR Discovery, you need to reward yourself. Otherwise go for CRV since ur live and breath Honda :meaw:

LR disc sport? Nah its the worst suv i ever tested. Unless u stay in an offroad place, why would u get such a tough, hard and chariot like ride?

The interior also looks like design from 2000s, only exterior and badge good

Should consider CX-5, Sportage, Ateca and Tiguan as well.

The new CX-5 is executed very well. Kia has improved a lot and worth a revisit - Kia of today isn't the Kia of yesterday. Tiguan / Ateca are excellent choices as well.

No point artificially limiting the options when you are spending $160k.

Can consider tiguan, new model look nice

It is the individual lar. My LGT back than only add a whiteline chassis bar and bilstine absorber and eibach spring. The body is actually very stiff liao. The bar wasn't necessary though. For the FC unless they use battery to help out the awd, it is going to be below average. Edited by Earthboy
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1