2018 Suzuki Swift Sport 1.4 Turbo

Pocus

Just tested it at KP1 ... Its great ... 1st gear is abit short .. 2nd gear really pulls ... Does not feel like 125bhp for sure ... Japs always understate ... Some folks in UK dyno around 135 to 140 instead ... 

Its 127bhp on paper ... dunno why the media put 125 ... anyways they didn't include the 13bhp and 50nm torque from the mild hybrid ... 

In the end, everyone knows they trying to get the car into cat A and also reduce emissions so it can get the max carbon tax rebate (15k)  ...

All these are not important and a stg1 tune brings it to 165bhp immediately ... stg2 with removing the stupid GFP + add 100cell sports cat will bring the power to 190bhp and 290nm torque ... The engine has been stress tested by alot of japs and european folks up to 230bhp (swap turbo) without much issues ... One nurburgring rent car company has 7 SSS with stg2 tune running around track everyday .... alot of people rent cause its a great entry level track tool that is very forgivable and does have too much power for amateurs to feels out of control ...

This is the ultimate entry level 1000kg track tool. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

1 hour ago, Fcw75 said:

Is it because they want it to be in Cat A?

I don’t think Suzuki will detune one of their flagships to suit sg unique coe market. Reason for detune is to meet euro emission standard, according to wiki. No wonder cm model is cheaper than pi.

Seems that k14d is a step down from k14c. With an additional 55kg, acceleration dropped by a sec. quite a disappointment for me. 

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Ceecookie said:

It's puzzling why suzuki didn't targeted for more power with the new mild hybrid engine. Could have pushed for 150-180hp instead.

Compared to past decade, there are many mainstream turbo cars pushing 130-150hp at the price range of the SS MH now.

Yeah. They are quite conservative on performance for their cars. look at the civi 1.5T. They should just lup the hayabusa engine in. Lol.

Twincharged
31 minutes ago, Stratovarius said:

I don’t think Suzuki will detune one of their flagships to suit sg unique coe market. Reason for detune is to meet euro emission standard, according to wiki. No wonder cm model is cheaper than pi.

Seems that k14d is a step down from k14c. With an additional 55kg, acceleration dropped by a sec. quite a disappointment for me. 

According to CTC performance in the UK. Both have quite similar performance, regardless of the published specs. They have torn down both K14C and K14D already.  

@Stratovarius all u do is read specs. Everyone in UK already pulling 7.6sec 0-100. Jap always understate the numbers like what happen to supra.

Gotta drive the car then u understand. Go youtube find swift wars on nurburgring, it is capable of chasing 90% of the cars on circuit.

• Haha! 2

1 hour ago, XsenseX said:

@Stratovarius all u do is read specs. Everyone in UK already pulling 7.6sec 0-100. Jap always understate the numbers like what happen to supra.

Gotta drive the car then u understand. Go youtube find swift wars on nurburgring, it is capable of chasing 90% of the cars on circuit.

i guess most of us read or watch videos online for information. I've also seen videos of SJ5 "pulling" in 6s but heck, my timing is way off. lol. I understand where you are coming from and honestly speaking, that 10 to 15 hp is not going to affect actual performance much. I used to track my zc31 and loved it. i'm shortlisting the 33 (or buy a used zc32) as a weekend car for that MT kick. The ss is always like a warm hatch, 7 or 8 secs is not really quick in any sense. What it delivers is the driver's experience like being nimble and steering feedback. Of course, most of us are looking at it because it's a MT, which is a rarity nowadays. 

What disappoints me is the additional weight of the hybrid system, or rather, i don't like this hybrid system. SS should be a simple, fun and raw FWD hatch. Suzuki also have the same emission issue with their Jimny in the UK. Rather then adding a hybrid system, they should relook at their engine design to reduce emission. Real or fake report is another issue. 😁

Oh, if you want to go extreme on tuning, better have deep pockets and prepare to spend alot of time in ws. There's a reason why many of us say go change car. lol. 

• Praise 3

11 hours ago, XsenseX said:

You forgot most people don't drive manual these days. DCT transmission are offering better shift timing than manual, while eliminating the hassle of controlling the clutch.

Suzuki need to design and manufacture a track-ready DCT if it wants to maintain the hot hatch status down the road.

5 hours ago, Ceecookie said:

You forgot most people don't drive manual these days. DCT transmission are offering better shift timing than manual, while eliminating the hassle of controlling the clutch.

Suzuki need to design and manufacture a track-ready DCT if it wants to maintain the hot hatch status down the road.

that u can just get the cupra. I drove that for 2 years. Sepang was a breeze on dsg. Just hold tight & whack.

if not wait for the FL i30n with DCT. 

but remember SSS is really for the weight. Its all about max torque on minimal weight. Adding a DCT means its going towards 1200kg at minimum.

This is basically the last few years of manual production. Enjoy it & move on to electric gearless soon.

• Praise 1

@Stratovarius bro u seem like a experienced guy but i dun know your understanding on tuning. Its no longer a highly volatile evo9 or sti type of 90’s tuning. Stg2 tuning just needs a IC & DP. Its completely not extreme at all. Gives u that 35% gain that is just enough but not too much.

i came from the typeR grp to VW MQB. I found out during my ownership of VW platform that vw tunings are such a breeze for stg2. Its really str88 forward nowadays. I know many folks running stg2 for years without major issues. Its far from extreme nowadays. Extreme only comes in if u change turbo. That changes alot. The nurburgring SSS is on stg4 with Garrett turbo dyno at 239bhp. That is extreme. 😉

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Tested out the 33! The turbo changes the 31's characteristics...but they are both fun in different ways. Sadly manual is on the way out...even internal combustion engines are on their way out.

A manual car is like an analog watch...it might not be as accurate as digital watches but it still has its charm...and the SSS is still a very fun, nimble car to drive. The 33 is definitely a car to consider...honestly enjoyed the rather short test drive

But at current COE levels...😞

• Praise 1

Hypersonic
3 hours ago, Soya said:

Review of SS 1.4T on ST today

Christopher Tan didn't sound impressed....

Not suprised. 

The old swift GTI 30yrs ago can do the century sprint in 8sec. This need to take 9.1sec.

Most conti small hatchback can do much better.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Neutral Newbie

9.1 is the paper spec. 
actual is closer to 7..

throw in a HKS flash to 180bhp and you will be grinning

Supersonic
3 hours ago, Tohto said:

Not suprised. 

The old swift GTI 30yrs ago can do the century sprint in 8sec. This need to take 9.1sec.

Sssshhhh.....dun say so loud 

Skali some take umbrage den u know

• Haha! 2

Twincharged
7 hours ago, Soya said:

Never bothered what he writes anyway. 

• Praise 2

(edited)
8 hours ago, Soya said:

4 hours ago, Tohto said:

Not suprised. 

No thanks to Cat A COE.

Maybe someone with 140hp version can get Christopher Tan review your car.

According to wiki, 140hp version hit 7s for 0-100

Edited by inlinesix
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1