10 days self drive in Hokkaido

Victor68

In Japan I always like to visit the food halls in the departmental stores.

I am happy to just buy a few snacks here and don't need to eat in those expensive fancy restaurants.

Edited by Jamesc
  • Praise 1

WOW! Lovely scenery photos... that's what I go for on holiday... except that it doesn't seem so lovely on Japan Hour... don't know why but Japan Hour footage always looks washed out... these are, many are HDR photos... so look much more saturated and appealing... if I can just visit and take photos of 10% of what you posted, I'll be super happy already... 

• Haha! 1

Just have to be lucky with timing. If you take your photo with a lot of good light then you will have a very good shot.

I always take when the sun is directly behind my back.

And if you are very lucky you take scenery with a lot of bright sunshine just after it rains.

The water droplets will reflect the sun and your photo will be very vivid and colourful.

:D

51 minutes ago, teomingern said:

WOW! Lovely scenery photos... that's what I go for on holiday... except that it doesn't seem so lovely on Japan Hour... don't know why but Japan Hour footage always looks washed out... these are, many are HDR photos... so look much more saturated and appealing... if I can just visit and take photos of 10% of what you posted, I'll be super happy already... 

• Praise 3

A lot of photos are taken by professionals who use very expensive equipment and camp there all day waiting for the perfect lighting to take the one shot.

When I was in Kushiro to see the dancing cranes. Cranes are like human and the best dancers get all the birds.

An army of photographers in freezing cold weather were waiting in their deck chairs and telescopic lens with their hot flask of coffee. They were there all day just to get the perfect shot.

image.png.a35079e9fe928af08e15ca0814516603.png

image.png.efedf536a4d2e4f1e6d84d1d36c3de0b.png

image.png.f1c6010795bc35e9b4aeb804821f2f42.png

The pefect shot, the birds jumping and dancing.

image.png.fa9ceab6b93fadc25cb50baf502dee86.png

image.png.810edcf86efa3569f4e17149bdcf3b74.png

image.png.def639ac1fb6ae930c30df25e282c6a4.png

image.png.9295da20cd12e15d4df78464ea183de3.png

• Praise 2

The funny thing about cranes is they have their own charecter and personality.

The crane conservation will put a male and a female in a big netted up space for them to mate

but some pair not naim and will fight with each other and they have to faster swap out another mate.

Some naim naim and will mate for life and breed offspring.

To me they all look alike what so how they know one is "their" type and another one is not their type. I think they have love or hate at first sight and not niam will never change their mind.

This one naim niam.

image.png.fbdcccb5081b1e4154928272fc0ae52f.png

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

23 hours ago, Jamesc said:

Just have to be lucky with timing. If you take your photo with a lot of good light then you will have a very good shot.

I always take when the sun is directly behind my back.

And if you are very lucky you take scenery with a lot of bright sunshine just after it rains.

The water droplets will reflect the sun and your photo will be very vivid and colourful.

:D

Yeah... when on holiday, timing is a lot about being there when the light is right... which go many cases, is outside my control... cos holiday mah... ha ha... I am not the type to climb out of bed at dawn to get a shot... I already downgrade from full sized DSLR to mirrorless to mobile phone... ha ha... just want to enjoy the moment and have some snapshots which are for memory's sake... I don't have time now to post-process like anything and print my own photos like I used to do... miss that a bit... especially the printing bit... but it's a trade-off I guess...

• Praise 2

Sometimes its just luck. I was driving on the coastal road in Jeju when a typhoon was approaching and wifey asked me to stop the car to take a picture of the sea as the wind was very strong and the waves was churning against the rocks and turning into foam.

She managed to get this shot of the angry seas and everytime I see it, it reminds me of my MIL.

Anyway at the very last moment the typhoon changed course and hit Japan very badly. And the rest of my stay in Jeju was very bright and sunny.

:grin:

image.png.ef7ddebe97371ff038b300ceb64c3f00.png

image.png.002f46c80f2c906424c0a7633a8a4b65.png

13 hours ago, teomingern said:

Yeah... when on holiday, timing is a lot about being there when the light is right... which go many cases, is outside my control... cos holiday mah... ha ha... I am not the type to climb out of bed at dawn to get a shot... I already downgrade from full sized DSLR to mirrorless to mobile phone... ha ha... just want to enjoy the moment and have some snapshots which are for memory's sake... I don't have time now to post-process like anything and print my own photos like I used to do... miss that a bit... especially the printing bit... but it's a trade-off I guess...