10 days self drive in Hokkaido

Victor68

I'm also planning to go Hokkaido in December next year to experience the snow. My kids enjoy the snow experience in Seoul last year. Most probably I will take TG as it is cheaper. Price around S$400+ with transit in BKK when I checked the price in January this year.

Should I give Otaru a miss? I read that there's nothing there except the Otaru canal and some factories? Where to experience snow?

Thanks.

Mid December on, you will find it more difficult to get away from snow. The snow will be everywhere, especially in the hills.

Otaru is a tourist town mostly. I would recommend for anyone visiting HKD to go once. It is just a 45mins train ride from Sapporo iirc. Just do a day trip and spend about 4-5 hours there.

If you are into skiing, the powder snow in Hokkaido is fantastic. Last year, I went to Furano. Haven't tried Niseko. But flight cancellations due to snow is a risk. Happened to me, and had scramble at last minute to find accommodation and change plans.

Kokusai ski resort at Jozengei is nearer to Sapporo if you dun want to travel too far.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

If the kids' schedules allow, consider during Mar school holiday.  It will be much cheaper.  Also ANA has convenient timings - travel overnight, transit Hanada and arrive Chitose around 9 or 10 in the morning.

Late Nov you can expect single digit daytime and sub 0 deg nights. It might start snowing in the hills. Generally windy as winter moves in.

I would budget $4k max person for a 10days trip. It can be done for as low as $3k. Roughly $1.2k for air tix, 1.2k for accom and 1.2k for train/ car/ food and others. Much depends on the exchange rate.

Accomodation for 2 is norm for regular hotels, some might allow 3. It is more common to find family rooms for 4 in ryokans.

There are a lot of elderly folks visiting Hokkaido from Japan. The normal precaution applies. Nothing out of the ordinary.

my JAL tix from sg to hokkaido was just above $900 last oct. $600+ from sg to tokyo and Y20k from tokyo to hokkaido (return trips).

1 thing to note: they have this promotion to spur domestic air travel within japan for foreigners. therefore, regardless of the airline you fly into japan, you can purchase a 1-way tix (full service or budget japanese airlines) to any airport in japan for Y 10k. the good thing is you can do open jaw. Eg TKY - SAP then coming back you can do Hakkodate - TKY. No change to the Y10k pricing.

They might have changed some terms so just check again before you buy tix.

https://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/transportation/discount-tickets/domestic-air-service.html

I'm also planning to go Hokkaido in December next year to experience the snow.  My kids enjoy the snow experience in Seoul last year.  Most probably I will take TG as it is cheaper.  Price around S$400+ with transit in BKK when I checked the price in January this year.

Should I give Otaru a miss?  I read that there's nothing there except the Otaru canal and some factories?  Where to experience snow?

Thanks.

Otaru has this damn famous cheese cake. i never try before but if the other famous Hokkaido cheese cakes / tarts are used as a reference point, then i think it will be damn delicious. [:p]

• Praise 2

Otaru has this damn famous cheese cake. i never try before but if the other famous Hokkaido cheese cakes / tarts are used as a reference point, then i think it will be damn delicious. [:p]

OIC.  Thanks.

sorry, no praise power liao.  I'll praise  you 2mrw ya.  :)

Mid December on, you will find it more difficult to get away from snow. The snow will be everywhere, especially in the hills.

Otaru is a tourist town mostly. I would recommend for anyone visiting HKD to go once. It is just a 45mins train ride from Sapporo iirc. Just do a day trip and spend about 4-5 hours there.

Kokusai ski resort at Jozengei is nearer to Sapporo if you dun want to travel too far.

OIC.  Thanks.  I'll do a day trip then.

Edited by Dleodleo

I'm also planning to go Hokkaido in December next year to experience the snow.  My kids enjoy the snow experience in Seoul last year.  Most probably I will take TG as it is cheaper.  Price around S$400+ with transit in BKK when I checked the price in January this year.

Should I give Otaru a miss?  I read that there's nothing there except the Otaru canal and some factories?  Where to experience snow?

Thanks.

Otaru in winter was one of the nicest place I have been too

They even have a winter festival.

I wouldn't miss it.

:D

6706_05.jpg

130208otaru.jpg

6706_04.jpg

170208_01.jpg

• Praise 5

Otaru in winter was one of the nicest place I have been too

They even have a winter festival.

I wouldn't miss it.

6706_05.jpg

130208otaru.jpg

6706_04.jpg

170208_01.jpg

Wow!  So beautiful!

Wah didn't know you had Japy  wifey  [cool]

Thought "it" or  "she" was one of our equatorial natives .... like this 1 [laugh]

Some of my MIL relatives some where in Hokk.

post-157298-0-59798700-1505353006.jpg

Edited by BanCoe
  • Praise 1

OIC.  Thanks.

OIC.  Thanks.  I'll do a day trip then.

Cheese cakes/tarts

Otaru - Le Tao (think sold in SG as well but the one in Otaru definitely better and fresher). I never try this before though.

Sapporo train station at 1 small corner - can't remember which brand but best tasting cheese tart i've had

Hakodate - Snaffles (sold in SG but the SG one is totally no fight)

i am never a dessert fan but i had 2 tarts and 2 Snaffles cakes over 2 consecutive days while i was in those cities. Damn shiok eating them.

The other place really nice in Hokk in winter is Hakodate.

1.Mt_Hakodate_hiru.jpg

shutterstock_136038101.jpg

looks so different when i was there in Sep. very lovely.

i must go again during winter. soak in outdoor onsen. must be heavenly.

Some of my MIL relatives some where in Hokk.

jigokudani-serunya-berendam-air-panas-be

you seem to have many MIL relatives in JPN.

I saw some of your other MIL relatives in Nagano too.

Your MIL relatives have very cute babies there. Furry and cheeky.

:grin:

• Praise 1

Cheese cakes/tarts

Otaru - Le Tao (think sold in SG as well but the one in Otaru definitely better and fresher). I never try this before though.

Sapporo train station at 1 small corner - can't remember which brand but best tasting cheese tart i've had

Hakodate - Snaffles (sold in SG but the SG one is totally no fight)

i am never a dessert fan but i had 2 tarts and 2 Snaffles cakes over 2 consecutive days while i was in those cities. Damn shiok eating them.

looks so different when i was there in Sep. very lovely.

i must go again during winter. soak in outdoor onsen. must be heavenly.

you seem to have many MIL relatives in JPN.

I saw some of your other MIL relatives in Nagano too.

Your MIL relatives have very cute babies there. Furry and cheeky.

:grin:

Haha can go soak outdoor onsen same as the one used by my MIL relatives

But I would wear some shorts in case they get hungry and think go some

underwater snacks to eat.

d65e24a79aa8a93db175f3f6183f0d98--hot-sp

• Praise 1

Anyone going Hokk in winter don't miss the snow festival in Sapporo 

with the giant ice sculptures.

sapporo-snow-festival-1536.jpg

Snow_Star_Wars_The_66th_Sapporo_Snow_Fes