10 days self drive in Hokkaido

Victor68

Take very little convincing for me to gian Japan, Hokkaido is such a nice place and I am sure there are many other places within Japan just as wonderful.

Me too that's why I took up the job.

Easier to convince someone else to love 

something when you love it yourself.

Have you been to Shriwakawa-go and Takayama?

:D

Shirakawa-go-Area.jpg

oavoes1.jpg

shirakawago-1.jpg

10235159353_645646ebb5_b.jpg

15079944-takayama-japan--march-26-uniden

takayama-festival-japan.jpg

img_oldquarteroftakayama.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

Between Takayama / Shiwakawa-go and HKD, if you don't intend to ski, which is better for a short winter holidays? ie. mainly food, sightseeing, etc.  Gifu is good for onsen as well, I heard.

Me too that's why I took up the job.

Easier to convince someone else to love 

something when you love it yourself.

Have you been to Shriwakawa-go and Takayama?

:D

Between Takayama / Shiwakawa-go and HKD, if you don't intend to ski, which is better for a short winter holidays? ie. mainly food, sightseeing, etc.  Gifu is good for onsen as well, I heard.

if you are fan of seafood - HKD

Fan of good japanese beef - Takayama, Shirakawa-go and nearby region. The beef is damn good. I had beef almost every meal there.

Both have their strengths.

Shirakawago is magnificent in winter with the snow filled thatched roofs. Go upwards towards Kanazawa for good seafood and eastwards to Nagano to see Jamesc' MIL relatives as well. [laugh]

Go before it becomes overrun by Chinese tourists (it already is slightly). I cannot stand their incessant loud chattering, destroying the peace of a simple Japanese town/restaurant/village/garden/shrine, and for many of them, their boorish behavior.

Edited by Kxbc
  • Praise 3

if you are fan of seafood - HKD

Fan of good japanese beef - Takayama, Shirakawa-go and nearby region. The beef is damn good. I had beef almost every meal there.

Both have their strengths.

Shirakawago is magnificent in winter with the snow filled thatched roofs. Go upwards towards Kanazawa for good seafood and eastwards to Nagano to see Jamesc' MIL relatives as well. [laugh]

Go before it becomes overrun by Chinese tourists (it already is slightly). I cannot stand their incessant loud chattering, destroying the peace of a simple Japanese town/restaurant/village/garden/shrine, and for many of them, their boorish behavior.

Guess China is not one of your favorite travel destinations then...  Lol... Used to visit China but stopped since 10 years ago, everywhere is crowded (domestic tourists >>>> than foreign visitors). I usually don't like crowds while on holidays.

Thanks for sharing on this and cats.  Cheers!

Guess China is not one of your favorite travel destinations then...  Lol... Used to visit China but stopped since 10 years ago, everywhere is crowded (domestic tourists >>>> than foreign visitors). I usually don't like crowds while on holidays.

Thanks for sharing on this and cats.  Cheers!

what i don't like is that they destroy the sanctity of the place eg chattering loudly and non-stop in a shrine, a zen garden, a quiet restaurant. Most of non-city areas in Japan are just serene.

most of them don't understand "when in Rome, do what the Romans do". Back home, if that is normal behavior, then that is nothing wrong. Just not in a place which is meant to be serene in the first place.

[q hiuote name=Kxbc" post="6220266" timestamp="1505723061]

what i don't like is that they destroy the sanctity of the place eg chattering loudly and non-stop in a shrine, a zen garden, a quiet restaurant. Most of non-city areas in Japan are just serene.

most of them don't understand "when in Rome, do what the Romans do". Back home, if that is normal behavior, then that is nothing wrong. Just not in a place which is meant to be serene in the first place.

Absolutely right go before the main lander spoil it. My colleagues in JTA China doing good a job of generating demand.

Edited by Jamesc

Takayama = nice town, nice scenery, see see look look nice

Shirakawa-go = Unesco site ... the whole idea going there is to stay in the 100 years house, eat what the houseowner cook, lim beer and look at the sky and "nua" (do nothing). there is only 1 main street to walk from start to end.

depends on what you want ... i have been to both places

fly in Nagoya ... get a car and drive up

on the way to Takayama or Shirakawa, can try Gero Onsen Ryokan [thumbsup]

another nice place up is Kanazawa !!!

post-7984-0-46917900-1505724712_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wt_know

Good point about going these places before they are swamped by Chinese tourists.

Surprisingly in our recent trip to Hokkaido, there were very few Chinese tourists, one of the many reasons why we enjoyed the trip so much.

• Praise 1

Takayama = nice town, nice scenery, see see look look nice

Shirakawa-go = Unesco site ... the whole idea going there is to stay in the 100 years house, eat what the houseowner cook, lim beer and look at the sky and "nua" (do nothing). there is only 1 main street to walk from start to end.

depends on what you want ... i have been to both places

fly in Nagoya ... get a car and drive up

on the way to Takayama or Shirakawa, can try Gero Onsen Ryokan [thumbsup]

another nice place up is Kanazawa !!!

Thanks for recommendation.

Safe to drive up to these places during winter? I don't know how to fix snow chains (in places with heavy snow, 4x4 is not sufficient) and I don't want to be learning to do it while freezing my butt off. Wahahahaha...

I was told to take public transport for both Takayama or HKD trip but with luggage and all, damn sian. Still prefer my drive holidays, can rent different cars and drive to new places. Priceless.

I just come to realize the bigger the country the worse the people.

China, India, Russia, USA.

Smaller countries have nicer people.

Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, Vietnam

• Praise 1

Thanks for recommendation.

Safe to drive up to these places during winter? I don't know how to fix snow chains (in places with heavy snow, 4x4 is not sufficient) and I don't want to be learning to do it while freezing my butt off. Wahahahaha...

I was told to take public transport for both Takayama or HKD trip but with luggage and all, damn sian. Still prefer my drive holidays, can rent different cars and drive to new places. Priceless.

For the Gifu area, check out the Shoryudo Bus pass. It is for use from Nagoya airport to Takayama, Shirakawa-go, Kanazawa etc.

I used a 4-day pass for Y7k (think there is no such option now, it's Y7k for 3-day pass). Very worth it. Eg Nagoya to Takayama is just 2 hour-ish by bus and almost same time if using train. Good thing about the bus is that it is a direct bus so no need to lug your luggage around.

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2357_shoryudo.html

For HKD eastern areas, driving is a better option due to less frequent trains and outlying areas whereby it is not well served or frequently served by the local buses. For the more touristy western HKD, most places like Toya, Furano, Norboribetsu, Otaru, Sapporo are better linked up and served by trains (or at least so in my not-very-good memory since it was more than 12 years ago when i went there).

Edited by Kxbc

There are many good in Sg after visiting many other countries. Overcrowding and weather maybe the biggest issues I have. small not really issue because we can always travel out occasionally. 

• Praise 2

Good point about going these places before they are swamped by Chinese tourists.

Surprisingly in our recent trip to Hokkaido, there were very few Chinese tourists, one of the many reasons why we enjoyed the trip so much.

When we were there last June, the guide actually told us that they (the Japs) don't welcome the prcs. Don't know if there are any measures taken or not!

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1