10 days self drive in Hokkaido

Victor68

When we were there last June, the guide actually told us that they (the Japs) don't welcome the prcs. Don't know if there are any measures taken or not!

They don't like the prcs but they want their tourist dollars. 

So no measures taken.

2016 Sapporo Snow Fest Japan army build this to attract prcs.

When in Japan faster let them know you are from Singapore

and not China and they won't show you black face.

Same as in Hong Kong.  [thumbsup]

No one hates the prcs more than the people from Hong Kong.

:D  

Edited by Jamesc
↡ Advertisement

PRC PRC PRC

every country want to earn their money but dont want their people

cant have the cake and eat it

when you are in sapporo and jeju airport

just look at the trash they left behind unpacking and repacking their purchases at airport

even a simple mosturiser they can buy 12 bottles for the same brand/model. i know that's the runner

even for true blue tourist they purchase in bulk

dont play play although gone are the good days when they go HK ... buy rolex is 10 or 20 pieces ... not 1 or 2

Edited by Wt_know

When we were there last June, the guide actually told us that they (the Japs) don't welcome the prcs. Don't know if there are any measures taken or not!

Yes. I could see the changes over the last 10 years, especially in ryokans where there used to be a lot of complimentary stuffs. The Japanese have to scale back due to widespread abuse by PRCs. Over the last 7 years, Prcs have really spoilt the market in Hokkaido. I have seen prcs treating onsens like swimming pool, yelling and splashing.

Many shops I go to, their attitude change considerably when they see that we are Chinese and change again to much better when they realize we are not from mainland.

• Praise 2

If people go Japan can consider going to the Mazda factory to see the MX5 being made 

if you like that sort of thing. I really enjoyed the factory tour.

Hiroshima is also a very nice city to visit.

:D

emeksfive0000.jpg

AR-312129992.jpg

DSC2977.jpg

hiroshima_today4.jpg

hiroshima_today5.jpg

slider_dome.jpg

• Praise 4

I just come to realize the bigger the country the worse the people.

China, India, Russia, USA.

Smaller countries have nicer people.

Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, Vietnam

ð

Bigger countries have more people who are not city dwellers ie. more (but not all) country bumpkins, rednecks, 'mountain tortoises'. These people may also have the means to travel, and when they do they still behave like they are back in their village. It can't be helped as years of conditioning can't be overcome just because you take a flight. As the saying goes, you can bring the chinaman out of China, but you can't take the China out of the chinaman.

Conversely people from smaller countries are more likely to be city dwellers and hence more likely to be educated and cultured. Again not everyone, we also have our share of uncouth countrymen with disgusting habits like talking/swearing loudly, spitting everywhere.

• Praise 2

Thanks for recommendation.

Safe to drive up to these places during winter? I don't know how to fix snow chains (in places with heavy snow, 4x4 is not sufficient) and I don't want to be learning to do it while freezing my butt off. Wahahahaha...

I was told to take public transport for both Takayama or HKD trip but with luggage and all, damn sian. Still prefer my drive holidays, can rent different cars and drive to new places. Priceless.

I have driven in winter Hokkaido twice. Get 4x4 MPV such as Toyota wish. They are available at Toyota rent-a-car. Ask for snow tires and English GPS. You can also make do with a Garmin GPS, Japanese free map and do your homework at home first using google map to get the longitude and latitude co-ordinates.

For mainland, driving outside big cities is ok. But toll fees on expressways are very, very expensive.

I don't recommend driving within big cities such as Tokyo and Osaka. It can be quite stressful.

Edited by Madmax67
  • Praise 1

Thanks for recommendation.

Safe to drive up to these places during winter? I don't know how to fix snow chains (in places with heavy snow, 4x4 is not sufficient) and I don't want to be learning to do it while freezing my butt off. Wahahahaha...

I was told to take public transport for both Takayama or HKD trip but with luggage and all, damn sian. Still prefer my drive holidays, can rent different cars and drive to new places. Priceless.

It is generally safe if you stick to the highways and mainroad. Minor roads might be closed or inacessible during winter. There are websites you can check road condition, don't rely on your google map.

In HKD, the rental car I get in winter is all wheel drive and comes with snow tyres. Looks like regular tyres but with little spikes. You will need a scraper too. Read up on some winter driving tips before going.

As for Takayama, Kusatsu area. Please inform the rental company you intend to drive up to the hills and require snow tyres and scraper. I had to buy one when my car did not come with it. I think I am the only driver who owns 1 in Sg?

• Praise 2

post-18199-0-39958500-1505810128_thumb.jpg

This is what I found the next morning after about 9 hours. Kusatsu Onsen, February.

post-18199-0-25382300-1505810203_thumb.jpg

Took me 20 mins to clear the snow on the car and those in front with a shovel.

post-18199-0-73864300-1505810163_thumb.jpg

Use this to clear the snow on car and windows.

• Praise 3

IMG_0182.JPG

This is what I found the next morning after about 9 hours. Kusatsu Onsen, February.

IMG_0181.JPG

Took me 20 mins to clear the snow on the car and those in front with a shovel.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Use this to clear the snow on car and windows.

How come only your so sway kanna? The cars beside yours seem OK. Edited by Kxbc
  • Praise 1