New 2018 BMW X3

Soya

Neutral Newbie

Thank you to all the experts here! Will go check the quotes for Dynamic Damper with aftermarket or PML.

My wife is the sporty type so she likes the handling. I am more of the comfort / chill type so i need the damper 😊

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1

7 hours ago, Cwc said:

Thank you to all the experts here! Will go check the quotes for Dynamic Damper with aftermarket or PML.

My wife is the sporty type so she likes the handling. I am more of the comfort / chill type so i need the damper 😊

DDC has to be factory spec.  Can't do it aftermarket.

Turbocharged
On 1/15/2020 at 10:47 AM, Xenor said:

I am driving the X3 30i Msport now and I love the handling of the car. I think there is always a comprise between comfort and handling. Softer suspension is more comfortable but cause the car to lean more on hard cornering and affect the handling and vice versa. 

Thus, if you are ordering new then it would be great to have option in Dynamic Damper Control. Else you may have to look for aftermarket. 

The alternate option as you have the ride now is consider changing to non-run flat tyres as suggested by many in this forum. Non-run flat are softer and thus provide better comfort. You should carry a tyre repair kit for this in case there is a flat tyre. 

How do you find the non-adaptive M Sport suspension? Is it a bit too firm for comfort, or still OK?

On 1/23/2020 at 4:32 PM, 7hm said:

How do you find the non-adaptive M Sport suspension? Is it a bit too firm for comfort, or still OK?

I think it all depend on personal preference. I find it just a bit firmer but not uncomfortable. It is manageable for daily drive. 

(edited)

hey guys, 

having a problem with my jan 2020 bmw x3, hoping some experienced guys out there can help. 

in apr, the front right brake started giving  a squeaky sound when parking/at low speed, but because of CB, scheduled check only for 16 Jun at Performance Kg Arang Service centre (6 week wait). 

Checks done, Kg arang CSA said they've cleaned the brakes and squeaky problem solved. Skeptical me was like..ok....u sure? CSA says, no problem run in 200km u should be good.

Squeaky sound come back the very next day. Called the CSA, understably upset cos i dropped the car for a full day with problem unresolved. He explains will need to check with service HQ (Alexandra). I told him, ok it's fine i will call service HQ myself. 

Called hotline to explain my predicament. I asked if i could bring car in on 22 Jun to check squeaky problem. In fact it had become more squeaky after the 16 Jun visit. Hotline staff said ok no problem. 

22 June (today). Swung by 303 Alexandra during lunch time. Explained my problem to the CSA assigned to me. He told me other owners have raised my problem, so it's quite common and currently there is no known solution from Germany. I asked him, so what does this mean? I drive with the loud squeak that announces my arrival wherever i go? Is this how your cars are expected to function with the loud squeak everytime it brakes? He says the best he can do is clean the brake everytime i bring the car in. I was shocked beyond words. i said my car is 5 months old....and how am i reasonably expected to accept this? would any car owner drive off the workshop with this squeak ? Seeing that i was visibly upset, he suggested setting up an appointment to get the car checked again. Proposed 22 Jul date (one month from today). I was like...errm..i just waited 6 weeks for a service appt which DIDN'T solve my problem, and now u want me to join the queue again?

Anyway, more pertinently, what can i do now? You guys think squeaky brakes are fine for an almost brand new car regardless of warranty? What can i do from here?

Any advice/suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by lookingaround88

5 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Sell to you at bro to bro price

Paper value only

U should ‘run-in’ for him..

• Praise 1

(edited)
7 minutes ago, Freeder said:

U should ‘run-in’ for him..

He scared of me after reading that post. Don’t ask me which 1

Yesterday I saw X3 M40. Damn chio

Edited by inlinesix

(edited)
44 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

He scared of me after reading that post. Don’t ask me which 1

Yesterday I saw X3 M40. Damn chio

Think after your run in, can sell in sgcarmart as mis-management car liao..

Edited by Freeder
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

(edited)
4 hours ago, lookingaround88 said:

hey guys, 

having a problem with my jan 2020 bmw x3, hoping some experienced guys out there can help. 

in apr, the front right brake started giving  a squeaky sound when parking/at low speed, but because of CB, scheduled check only for 16 Jun at Performance Kg Arang Service centre (6 week wait). 

Checks done, Kg arang CSA said they've cleaned the brakes and squeaky problem solved. Skeptical me was like..ok....u sure? CSA says, no problem run in 200km u should be good.

Squeaky sound come back the very next day. Called the CSA, understably upset cos i dropped the car for a full day with problem unresolved. He explains will need to check with service HQ (Alexandra). I told him, ok it's fine i will call service HQ myself. 

Called hotline to explain my predicament. I asked if i could bring car in on 22 Jun to check squeaky problem. In fact it had become more squeaky after the 16 Jun visit. Hotline staff said ok no problem. 

22 June (today). Swung by 303 Alexandra during lunch time. Explained my problem to the CSA assigned to me. He told me other owners have raised my problem, so it's quite common and currently there is no known solution from Germany. I asked him, so what does this mean? I drive with the loud squeak that announces my arrival wherever i go? Is this how your cars are expected to function with the loud squeak everytime it brakes? He says the best he can do is clean the brake everytime i bring the car in. I was shocked beyond words. i said my car is 5 months old....and how am i reasonably expected to accept this? would any car owner drive off the workshop with this squeak ? Seeing that i was visibly upset, he suggested setting up an appointment to get the car checked again. Proposed 22 Jul date (one month from today). I was like...errm..i just waited 6 weeks for a service appt which DIDN'T solve my problem, and now u want me to join the queue again?

Anyway, more pertinently, what can i do now? You guys think squeaky brakes are fine for an almost brand new car regardless of warranty? What can i do from here?

Understand your frustrations, especially with a new premium ride. 

I have had a few IL6 BMW models as my rides and current ones are F26 & G30.  Wish to share my observations. 

If the brake sounds are dull 'gerh, gerh' , should be normal, especially on Hard Braking. Try not to do frequent hardbraking. If serviced and maintained regularly, BMW car brakes works very well with light braking. 

On cold car reverse (downslope, out of driveway), the sound would be slightly louder with 'gerk gerk' noise. The sound should disappear subsequently for the rest of the day.

Edited by TameDriver
  • Praise 1

13 hours ago, lookingaround88 said:

hey guys, 

you should sell me your car.... 

you first day drive such cars with these type of brakes meh....  all brakes make noise...  just loud or soft only....

13 hours ago, lookingaround88 said:

hey guys, 

Hi, Lookingaround88. 

Many of us brought in the car to PML. Similarly, I have send in mine 3 times within 1st year of ownership. Yes, the sound irritate you especially when you are performing a reverse parking in an enclosed car park. ie. basement. Now, i grew out of it and just drive. So long the brakes works. 

I don't think PML have the solution for us. If not, it should have been resolved. 

Supercharged
14 hours ago, lookingaround88 said:

hey guys, 

Try to ask for new brake pads and/or brake discs to be replaced?

Seems from other bros comments that it is a common "trait" of BMW very aggressive brake pads.

Could be a trial and error thingy because obviously not everyone driving bimmers face this.

Strangely driving multiple Jap cars, I have not heard such a sound. Usually got squeak means confirm pad is worn.

1 minute ago, t0y0ta said:

Try to ask for new brake pads and/or brake discs to be replaced?

Seems from other bros comments that it is a common "trait" of BMW very aggressive brake pads.

Could be a trial and error thingy because obviously not everyone driving bimmers face this.

Strangely driving multiple Jap cars, I have not heard such a sound. Usually got squeak means confirm pad is worn.

After a while, same same.

Unlike Japanese car, German car is heavier and used on Autobahn.

Most of the time, soft pad match with hard rotor causing the sound.

Currently, my mini is using slot/drill front rotor with factory pad. The sound is louder than solid disc.

• Praise 1

14 hours ago, lookingaround88 said:

I'm not driving a X3 but all new BMW should be very insulated. I can't hear a thing from inside my G30. 

Most brake pads only making noise when they are worn down to the last 25%. 

Maybe you can bring to an independent workshop like R2D and ask him for his view? Don't ask him to fix anything but just do a diagnosis. After that go back to PML and tell them the issue.

Last resort - buy the GLC or Q5.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2