Sony Xperia Series phones

DACH

A topic for Sony Xperia series phones.

Xperia is the brand name of smartphones and tablets from Sony Mobile. The name Xperia is derived from the word "experience", and was first used in the Xperia X1 tagline, "I Xperia the best".

Sony Xperia was previously known globally as Sony Ericsson before re-branding in 2012, as a result of the mobile phone manufacturer being taken over and solely owned by Sony.

Latest phone to be released.

Sony Xperia XZ1

Sony Xperia XZ1 users can order 3D prints directly with smartphone scanning app

http://www.3ders.org/articles/20170913-sony-xperia-xz1-users-can-order-3d-prints-directly-with-smartphone-scanning-app.html

141412-phones-feature-sony-xperia-xz1-anJapanese tech giant Sony grabbed our attention a couple of weeks ago with the announcement that itsnew Xperia XZ1 and XZ1 Compact smartphones would be equipped with built-in 3D scanning technology. Now, with the added information that the company has partnered with 3D printing service Sculpteo to offer users on-demand 3D printing, Sony has piqued our interest even more.

According to the company, users of its new Xperia XZ1 smartphones will be able to order 3D prints of their scans with the touch of a button. Through the XZ1’s integrated 3D Creator application, you can send 3D models and scans directly to Sculpteo, which will 3D print the objects and ship them to your address for a fee. All without ever having to sit down in front of an actual computer.

Let’s take a few steps back though and look at the XZ1’s 3D scanning capacity. Unlike most other smartphones which can have 3D scanning abilities via downloadable apps and cloud services, Sony’s new smartphone comes ready with a pre-loaded 3D scanning app: 3D Creator.

Using the integrated app, users can choose from a number of scanning modes (head scan, face scan, food scan, or freeform scan) and are given the option to either share their scans with friends via messaging apps or upload them to 3D model sharing platforms such as Sketchfab.

Impressively, the app is fully equipped to process the images from the 3D scan, meaning that no cloud service or external app is necessary for generating the 3D models from the scans.

Now, by collaborating with Sculpteo, users will even have the option of having their scans directly transformed into 3D prints. They’ll also have the choice of ordering multi-colored prints and choosing from a range of size options.

Sony recently demonstrated the XZ1’s 3D Creator app at IFA in Berlin, showing how the 3D scanning app is capable of capturing good quality scans of various objects and faces in under a minute each and without any WiFi connection. Additionally, the app enables users to bring their 3D models back into the real world with an augmented reality feature.

Sony’s new Xperia XZ1 smartphone series will be available to consumers as of September 19. If you’re mentally preparing to line up for the new 3D scanning-enabled phone, you might just bear in mind that it comes with a price tag of $700.

users-order-3d-prints-directly-sonys-new

Edited by DACH
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

I liked Sony phones, at least they offer a different option from the Samsung and Apple mainstream phones. Now Sony phone the prices has become competitive. Although their phone design has remain largely unchanged , they offer something different. The xz premium at least is priced below 900, unlike Apple and note series flagship.

Edited by Ingenius
  • Praise 2

Previous phone was a Sony Ericsson

Current phone is a Sony Xperia, coming to 4yo.

Quite happy with the phone and battery life.

Sony prices have been coming down in the last 12 months or so. Time for me to look look see see.  [laugh]

I have plenty of Sony phones from Acro S, Z3, Z5 big size, small size,.... to XZ.

One thing that will sure happen - The battery will overheat in about 1 year and battery live will shorten dramatically.  I know their service centre too well already!

I will probably move to Samsung next except really dislike the curved screen edges.

Previous phone was a Sony Ericsson

Current phone is a Sony Xperia, coming to 4yo.

Quite happy with the phone and battery life.

Sony prices have been coming down in the last 12 months or so. Time for me to look look see see. [laugh]

Xperia Z4?

Xperia phones are almost fuss free and elegant looking phones.

But they need to keep up with the times. A bezel less phone should be in the range by now but pretty disappointed with the XZ1.

Just hope that the XZ1 premium, if have, will have an almost bezel less screen, like the MI Mix 2. Plus mirror finish.

Awww, great.

For now, I keep my options at the iPhone X and Nokia 9.

Currently using their compact / mini series and loving it!

What annoys me is the lack of casing..

Besides Sony Centre, where else carry Sony casing?

Aliexpress plenty.  Just buy a couple at one go!

Xperia Z4?

Xperia phones are almost fuss free and elegant looking phones.

But they need to keep up with the times. A bezel less phone should be in the range by now but pretty disappointed with the XZ1.

Just hope that the XZ1 premium, if have, will have an almost bezel less screen, like the MI Mix 2. Plus mirror finish.

Awww, great.

For now, I keep my options at the iPhone X and Nokia 9.

Mine is Z. The first of the Z series.

Soild hor ...  [:)]

I have plenty of Sony phones from Acro S, Z3, Z5 big size, small size,.... to XZ.

One thing that will sure happen - The battery will overheat in about 1 year and battery live will shorten dramatically. I know their service centre too well already!

I will probably move to Samsung next except really dislike the curved screen edges.

My Z1 only starts to have battery problems after 1 and a half years. Then completely died after two years coz battery overcharged.

I changed the battery in Sim Lim. Now become back up phone. Still working well.

Mine is Z. The first of the Z series.

Soild hor ... [:)]

Wow.

My Z1 only lasted 2 years.

But your Android Os version is only up till Android J? Z can support Android N?

Wow.

My Z1 only lasted 2 years.

But your Android Os version is only up till Android J? Z can support Android N?

I don't watch video and charge concurrently and I don't do overnight charge. Charging is charging. Using is using. So that probably helps. Was a $0 phone from Singtel.

Yes, now up to Android 4.3 only. Was forced to upgrade as some apps do not run on the previous Android 4.1. Since the upgrade the Chrome hangs every now and then. Don't think I can go beyond 4.3. 

Looking to change as battery a bit weak of late and some apps do not run well on such outdated Android. Camera focusing also a tad bit slow of late. Missing Kodak moments. 

I don't watch video and charge concurrently and I don't do overnight charge. Charging is charging. Using is using. So that probably helps. Was a $0 phone from Singtel.

Yes, now up to Android 4.3 only. Was forced to upgrade as some apps do not run on the previous Android 4.1. Since the upgrade the Chrome hangs every now and then. Don't think I can go beyond 4.3.

Looking to change as battery a bit weak of late and some apps do not run well on such outdated Android. Camera focusing also a tad bit slow of late. Missing Kodak moments.

I see.

I have the very bad habit of overnight charging, but I tend to use the phone till the last percentages before I sleep.

wanted to get he XA-ultra .... but alas they did not have a 64gb model then ...

have already gotten used to their s/w and interface, so when changed to another maker, it was quite weird.

never mind, next round see they got any big phones with big storage capacity or not.

My dad previous phone I ordered from tb.

can try Shopee.

Used to be good. Had Arc, Xperia V and Z3 Compact

Xperia V still functioning well now but the Z3C had touchscreen problems and had it replaced twice.  :a-no:

Xperia V is like, so long ago.  [thumbsup]

↡ Advertisement