2018 Megane RS vs Golf GTi Vs Civic Type R

Sdf4786k

Looks like the hot Hatch category getting interesting next Year

You Have the Renault RS which is zero to 100 in about 5.7 to 6 sec

New engine. Not as ricey as the Civic and tamer. Functional Diffuser. 4 Wheel Steering, which may not be everyone's liking. Hopefully, they nail it this time round.

Its downsize to 1.8T instead of 2.0 T so I suspect no replacement for displacement means the 150 to 200 kmh range will be slower on the straight.

Comes stock at 280 bhp while GTi is 235 bhp. vs Civic 308 bhp.

Let see what kind of prices. If the number falls in the 145 to 155 K range, probably have very good takeup rate.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

Looks like the hot Hatch category getting interesting next Year

You Have the Renault RS which is zero to 100 in about 5.7 to 6 sec

New engine. Not as ricey as the Civic and tamer. Functional Diffuser. 4 Wheel Steering, which may not be everyone's liking. Hopefully, they nail it this time round.

Its downsize to 1.8T instead of 2.0 T so I suspect no replacement for displacement means the 150 to 200 kmh range will be slower on the straight.

Comes stock at 280 bhp while GTi is 235 bhp. vs Civic 308 bhp.

Let see what kind of prices. If the number falls in the 145 to 155 K range, probably have very good takeup rate.

Get Civic. More horse power. Most people here give me the impression more hp means better car. Good cars are those with better hp nia. Rest no need talk. Hahahaha............

• Praise 1

The engine's piping and wiring looks messy...like all over the place. Looks somewhat rushed to production with no time to do proper layout. That's a definite letdown there.

Coz imagine doing servicing like change spark plugs or access to some areas you have got to remove all those pipe works and wiring to get to them. More labour intensive and more likely to make errors when putting parts back into place.

It's also not ideal to run the air intake pipe across the engine like that coz usually that's where the engine's heat accumulate.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 1

Get Civic. More horse power. Most people here give me the impression more hp means better car. Good cars are those with better hp nia. Rest no need talk. Hahahaha............

If just looking at power alone that's really says a lot how much those ppl know. What ppl want to look at too is the weight of the car, the power to weight. You would also want to see how it drives on on the street. These cars no doubt perform very well on track. Comfort wise on daily driving is just as important.

If just looking at power alone that's really says a lot how much those ppl know. What ppl want to look at too is the weight of the car, the power to weight. You would also want to see how it drives on on the street. These cars no doubt perform very well on track. Comfort wise on daily driving is just as important.

the Golf is probably the one most liveable on a daily basis. All golfs even the R are meant to be for daily driving.

• Praise 1

the Golf is probably the one most liveable on a daily basis. All golfs even the R are meant to be for daily driving.

Becoz these 3 cars, Megane RS, Golf GTi and CTR all have fancy active suspension it will be interesting to see which has a better balance when it comes to performance and comfort. I mean real world experience.

Ppl always like to look at hp figures. I look at torque figure/graph and at what rpm it peaks and maintain before it goes down. That's where the power is. We know anything more dan 280hp on a FWD car there will be torque steer. How Honda stop it from happening isn't rocket science. They simply program the ecu to limit the torque to prevent it from happening. Maybe at top speed you will be able to use the full hp. In other words you don't have access to all that hp even though it has on paper 306hp. Power alone isn't everything in a hot hatch.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 2

The engine's piping and wiring looks messy...like all over the place. Looks somewhat rushed to production with no time to do proper layout. That's a definite letdown there.

Coz imagine doing servicing like change spark plugs or access to some areas you have got to remove all those pipe works and wiring to get to them. More labour intensive and more likely to make errors when putting parts back into place.

It's also not ideal to run the air intake pipe across the engine like that coz usually that's where the engine's heat accumulate.

I know what you mean. The scooby WRX boxer engine was a nightmare to change the sparks plugs.

But this is normally left to the good folks at the workshop. I suppose you have to visit a proper workshop when you buy such cars and not go to the nearest service stn with the Ah lau asking telling you all spark plug the same one...

Becoz these 3 cars, Megane RS, Golf GTi and CTR all have fancy active suspension it will be interesting to see which has a better balance when it comes to performance and comfort. I mean real world experience.

Ppl always like to look at hp figures. I look at torque figure/graph and at what rpm it peaks and maintain before it goes down. That's where the power is. We know anything more dan 280hp on a FWD car there will be torque steer. How Honda stop it from happening isn't rocket science. They simply program the ecu to limit the torque to prevent it from happening. Maybe at top speed you will be able to use the full hp. In other words you don't have access to all that hp even though it has on paper 306hp. Power alone isn't everything in a hot hatch.

I  see you left out of the best kept secret high horsepower car that is even madder then a GTi. 

The SEAT Cupra R.

Price lower than a GTi with full specs (about $5,000 less) and using a Golf R engine.

So how does it put power and torque steer at Bay ??

Simple. It comes with Front Differential, that's only available on the Golf GTi Performance Pack. But was never brought in. 

So while its not rocket science, gone are the days of torque steer cars.

The Civic type R while has the higher horse power. A Ford RS will annihilate it on the second gear. price wise, a Focus RS is cheaper with the full range of toys.

Just that the engine reliability is somewhat iffy at this point in time.

The Renault has a Trophy version with 300 BHP at a later date. And while a renault can be gotten in both auto AND manual, the civic is for the hardcore.

Maybe a better comparison would be a Civic and the Scoopy WRX Sti. But we are adding more dimension in a 3 way comparison model. Plus the STi seems to be price out of it league and the trim and finish is very yesterday retro looking.

It's interesting that the new RS is a 5 door hatch instead of a 3 door coupe

yeah.. not sure if its the same designer or coincidental but the side looks just like a merc A class 

I see you left out of the best kept secret high horsepower car that is even madder then a GTi.

The SEAT Cupra R.

Price lower than a GTi with full specs (about $5,000 less) and using a Golf R engine.

So how does it put power and torque steer at Bay ??

Simple. It comes with Front Differential, that's only available on the Golf GTi Performance Pack. But was never brought in.

So while its not rocket science, gone are the days of torque steer cars.

The Civic type R while has the higher horse power. A Ford RS will annihilate it on the second gear. price wise, a Focus RS is cheaper with the full range of toys.

The Renault has a Trophy version with 300 BHP at a later date. And while a renault can be gotten in both auto AND manual, the civic is for the hardcore.

Maybe a better comparison would be a Civic and the Scoopy WRX Sti. But we are adding more dimension in a 3 way comparison model. Plus the STi seems to be price out of it league and the trim and finish is very yesterday retro looking.

Don't think so highly of the Ford Focus rs la. Quite some problems as posted on the USA forums.

Don't think so highly of the Ford Focus rs la. Quite some problems as posted on the USA forums.

Selective reading..... ?

The Civic type R while has the higher horse power. A Ford RS will annihilate it on the second gear. price wise, a Focus RS is cheaper with the full range of toys.

The saddest thing is we are not in UK. In UK, these hatches are considered a poor man's hot hatch. Here in Sillypore, the ADs mark up like nobody business and are considered like sports cars

Edited by alex976

he meant Focus is faster, not about reliability unless the problems u mentioned are about speed problems. 

he meant Focus is faster, not about reliability unless the problems u mentioned are about speed problems. 

oops.. ok.. 

I only know that there were engine issues and the U turn was like driving a Lancer Evo / 3 ton truck in terms of turning circle radius

Edited by Sdf4786k
↡ Advertisement