2018 Megane RS vs Golf GTi Vs Civic Type R

Sdf4786k

Becoz these 3 cars, Megane RS, Golf GTi and CTR all have fancy active suspension it will be interesting to see which has a better balance when it comes to performance and comfort. I mean real world experience.

Ppl always like to look at hp figures. I look at torque figure/graph and at what rpm it peaks and maintain before it goes down. That's where the power is. We know anything more dan 280hp on a FWD car there will be torque steer. How Honda stop it from happening isn't rocket science. They simply program the ecu to limit the torque to prevent it from happening. Maybe at top speed you will be able to use the full hp. In other words you don't have access to all that hp even though it has on paper 306hp. Power alone isn't everything in a hot hatch.

These cars don't have ACTIVE suspension lah. Both Golf and CTR has selectable dampers, and Golf has adaptive dampers as an option. I haven't seen the specs for RS yet.

Yes, beside BHP, there is torque, weight and gear ratios that will affect a car's performance. But then again, getting all the torque early may be good for acceleration but the pleasure of wringing the engine to the redline is also missing.

Those who do circuit racing will know that abrupt torque is not good for corners.

Some makes tune their turbo engines not to give all its torque all at once. Ferrari V8 turbos gives you ascending torque as you move through the gears, and max torque is only available in 7th gear. This gives you the incentive to rev the engine and chase the redline. Honda may have been trying to achieve the same.

At the end of the day, there is no right or wrong approach; it's what you prefer.

Edited by Toeknee_33
↡ Advertisement

Becoz these 3 cars, Megane RS, Golf GTi and CTR all have fancy active suspension it will be interesting to see which has a better balance when it comes to performance and comfort. I mean real world experience.

Ppl always like to look at hp figures. I look at torque figure/graph and at what rpm it peaks and maintain before it goes down. That's where the power is. We know anything more dan 280hp on a FWD car there will be torque steer. How Honda stop it from happening isn't rocket science. They simply program the ecu to limit the torque to prevent it from happening. Maybe at top speed you will be able to use the full hp. In other words you don't have access to all that hp even though it has on paper 306hp. Power alone isn't everything in a hot hatch.

Not actually true.

They have a knuckle at the drive shaft that does the trick. Not rocket science but some degree of engineering.

What you describing is actually an electronic diff that helps to add some brakes on the wheel in corners just like what Mazda calls it vector control.

Reviews not that positive though.

The RS is more built for a track car than a race car. It is not the fastest in straight.

I saw another video of megane rs vs type r, type r win in track by 1 sec. However they will choose the megane if they r buying their own car.

Two person choices

The RS is more built for a track car than a race car. It is not the fastest in straight.

I saw another video of megane rs vs type r, type r win in track by 1 sec. However they will choose the megane if they r buying their own car.

Two person choices

It's not just a review of the straight line speed. They say the steering is numb and it's twitchy on real B roads when it gets faster.

Basically it's not a good review compared to the previous generation nor the competitors.

Edited by Lala81

It's not just a review of the straight line speed. They say the steering is numb and it's twitchy on real B roads when it gets faster.

Basically it's not a good review compared to the previous generation nor the competitors.

Hmm mayb? Lol wait till i test drive first

I am testdriving the rs this Sun. Will check pricing and update u all. But yes, reviews make mention of steering not as precise as last gen, ride also less engaging.

Bear in mind this is not the trophy version. That will have 295bhp n should be sharper and more engaging.

bro donchew, test for fun or looking to swap your trophy? 

Renault intended for this gen RS to be a more "family" car. they are going for volume, hence 5 doors and less track-minded. i think it may alienate some of the purist drivers, but guess depends on what you want from a car. is test drive now still as restricted as before? previously have to put down deposit and only on weekend evenings. 

vtec yo!

i think  tune wise, honda more to go, same with aftermarket mods.

daily drive handling... megane? since got 4 wheel steering

resale value confirm honda.

if i had $180k to drop. sure vtec turbo.