Unreliable AD komoco

Terratoss

Hi all,

my hyundai elantra has reached it's free servicing at 2.25 years. My experience with them isn't that good as they always try to evade changing parts that are showing signs of fault.

I understand that if I don't service with them, they might or will by all means find reasons not to replace parts if breakdown during warranty period. Their service packages and workmanship is not up to standard as an AD as well.

Anyone has just brought their cars to service elsewhere when car still under warranty?

All AD are the same lah...

↡ Advertisement

My personal experience with Komoco was mixed. Really depends on the TA that you get when you send the car in. Overall they are still quite alright and I didn't feel like I needed to hang around and try to see if they were doing my car properly.

After I switched out from Hyundai, the subsequent AD was not as straightforward nor pleasant. So I am still appreciative of my Komoco experience albeit inconsistent.

• Praise 1

I only just went to komoco for 2nd servicing, and already i'm not very confident of them anymore.

Takes too long time to do too little or nothing.

And customer satisfaction is not a priority.

Tip for you: doesn't matter if your appt is 830am, you can still go at 730am. Cos when u reach there still have to press queue number. So if you are 0000 then you are still the first regardless of your appt time. I also always like that previously.

I’m not sure about Komoco but for most ADs, your car will be serviced according to the appt time allocated which is fair i feel. Otherwise, an owner whose service is scheduled to be in the afternoon but comes in the morning will upset the whole schedule. Of course U can go early to handover the keys but your priority to service will be based on your allocated time slot.

• Praise 8

I only just went to komoco for 2nd servicing, and already i'm not very confident of them anymore.

The trouble with some ADs who have expanded too fast is that the servicing centre just can’t cope with the no. Of cars being put out as a lot of ADs are loathe to expand their service centre as a lot of $ required to beef up manpower and equipment. VW and Mazda had this issue not too Long ago and I see Komoco facing this as well as they have been very aggressive in their sales recently.

• Praise 10

Could you elaborate on why you felt "too little or nothing" was done for your car? What were your expectations going in for your second servicing, which if my memory serves me correctly, is for an oil change only?

I agree that AD will take an unusual amount of time to complete the servicing, but this is why:

1. Appointments have to be made;
  2. There is a queue system (i.e. handle the overnight queue first before the current walk-ins); and
  3. They have a lounge for you to sit around and kick back whilst you wait

Going to outside workshops, they may face also the same problem but they have a compelling reason to want to rush your car out as:

1. Lack of parking space;
  2. Lack of workshop space; and
  3. Need to turn over as many cars as possible in order to maximise revenue.

Hence, you might or might not necessarily get a better servicing outside - just really depends on what your expectations are.

Hope that helps - and just my humble tuppence.

• Praise 1

I’m not sure about Komoco but for most ADs, your car will be serviced according to the appt time allocated which is fair i feel. Otherwise, an owner whose service is scheduled to be in the afternoon but comes in the morning will upset the whole schedule. Of course U can go early to handover the keys but your priority to service will be based on your allocated time slot.

Yeah i guess that's possible but at least they allow me to go and surrender my car at earlier time cos in the end i still only come back in the evening to collect my car. So it doesn't really matter what time they start (and finish) work on my car.

You can always send back to AD for servicing what.  [laugh]

BM,  some ok some not ok.

Aircon filter was $89 (IIRC),  not ok ! 

Brother Kklee,

The air-con filter $89 you've mentioned is an air-con treatment recommended for every once a year and it is optional if you don't want.  Maybe I was lucky, when I reached 1 year for the 4th free servicing, I initially decided to forgo it because my mileage was only run 16+km.   However, 2 weeks after the expiry for the 4th free service, I received a telephone call from BM encourage me to go for the 4th servicing and offered me free even it was already expired. 

I took up the offer and went for the servicing.  They also suggested to me to do the air-con treatment which is optional and I have declined to do now but it may be good to do it once in 2 years.

At the Service Centre, the Service Adviser told me that I am also entitled to a free waxing and a free full polishing within 2 years from the purchase.  He suggested I go for the waxing in Oct or November and the polishing in next year before May.  He also advise me to book earlier at least 1.5 months in advance.

BM was nice to me :)

• Praise 2

The trouble with some ADs who have expanded too fast is that the servicing centre just can’t cope with the no. Of cars being put out as a lot of ADs are loathe to expand their service centre as a lot of $ required to beef up manpower and equipment. VW and Mazda had this issue not too Long ago and I see Komoco facing this as well as they have been very aggressive in their sales recently.

Yup, i heard of the VW debacle, and they were a victim of their own success, when they started from negligible share here and sold so many cars by aggressive pricing/marketing within a short span of time.

Mazda has been around much longer so I was not aware of a similar issue with them, but that's prob cos i didn't take note of Mazda previously when it was still an under marketed jap car like in the league of suzuki... Indeed they also went on an aggressive drive and now the market has been flooded with the mazdas for quite a few years already.

Hyundai, on the other hand, i thought have done that - aggressive pricing + marketing - many years ago and have been enjoying much success much earlier. That was especially the case when Korean cars were priced much more competitively c.f. Japs, unlike now when prices are almost on par.

So Hyundai really has less valid reason to be in this situation/phase c.f. VW/Mazda. And among the bigger players, most have one showroom/service centre in the West in Alexandra area, and another in the East in Ubi area. Komoco however, only has the Alexandra branch to speak of. They had earlier this year opened a service centre in Kembangan, but that one only does oil change and normal servicing. Anything else, still have to go back to Alexandra.

I will give it low marks lor...

• Praise 2

How often does Hyundai do a free of charge gearbox oil/filter change.  I heard some ADs don't actually change gearbox oil/filter at all over a 3 or 5 year 'warranty period'.  How does that work. phewww.

Edited by Ahbengdriver

Brother Kklee,

The air-con filter $89 you've mentioned is an air-con treatment recommended for every once a year and it is optional if you don't want.  Maybe I was lucky, when I reached 1 year for the 4th free servicing, I initially decided to forgo it because my mileage was only run 16+km.   However, 2 weeks after the expiry for the 4th free service, I received a telephone call from BM encourage me to go for the 4th servicing and offered me free even it was already expired. 

I took up the offer and went for the servicing.  They also suggested to me to do the air-con treatment which is optional and I have declined to do now but it may be good to do it once in 2 years.

At the Service Centre, the Service Adviser told me that I am also entitled to a free waxing and a free full polishing within 2 years from the purchase.  He suggested I go for the waxing in Oct or November and the polishing in next year before May.  He also advise me to book earlier at least 1.5 months in advance.

The aircon filter is the physical filter.  The aircon service is another thingy. 

The aircon filter is the physical filter.  The aircon service is another thingy. 

No Sir, the quotation of $89 is for replacement of the filter plus treatment.  This treatment was recommended by BM for once in a year.

• Praise 3

Could you elaborate on why you felt "too little or nothing" was done for your car? What were your expectations going in for your second servicing, which if my memory serves me correctly, is for an oil change only?

I agree that AD will take an unusual amount of time to complete the servicing, but this is why:

1. Appointments have to be made;
  2. There is a queue system (i.e. handle the overnight queue first before the current walk-ins); and
  3. They have a lounge for you to sit around and kick back whilst you wait

Going to outside workshops, they may face also the same problem but they have a compelling reason to want to rush your car out as:

1. Lack of parking space;
  2. Lack of workshop space; and
  3. Need to turn over as many cars as possible in order to maximise revenue.

Hence, you might or might not necessarily get a better servicing outside - just really depends on what your expectations are.

Hope that helps - and just my humble tuppence.

My car was sent for 5k servicing, which for Komoco, was only use eye power to check that everything is in order. got no oil change (which is for 1k, 10k, 20k, etc...)

My aircon will blow until the bottom part of my windscreen gets fogged up whenever it rains, or if aircon is at high blast + low temp in early morning - all when the a/c is blowing only at passenger face/body (and not at legs or windscreen). I posted this in the Tucson thread but here is a photo of it again:

post-17508-0-72052900-1507555648_thumb.jpg

The senior servicing supervisor i brought this up to previously only after I did my 1k servicing, said needs a whole day for the aircon guy to dismantle and check see got leak or not and could only do at next servicing. So i waited 4 mth, and on Sat, another servicing sup (i think) just told me it's normal, and that there will be aircon blowing at the windscreen even if not selected. And if there's mist/fog, just switch on the front demister... but he said will check.

The free 2-channel car cam given was crappier than i can describe. But the key thing is the double side tape came off after I installed solar film early on. At 1k servicing, they stuck a new one. It lasted 4 mth until 2 wk ago it fell off again. Just nice going for 5k servicing, and they stuck another new one. Let's see if it will last.

I mentioned on check-in for servicing that there is a soft rattling sound suspected to be from the rear seat, when car is moving. 

The GPS that came with the car cannot search some postal codes, as it has a range of pre-keyed-in codes, so if i want to search for 459208, and by the time i keyed in 4592, i only got like 3 options, and none of whose 5th digit is '0'... 

Left my car there at 9.20 am. At 3 pm, I received a call informing me that my car was going to be ready soon, and I can make my way there.

Of the problems I had/brought up:

1)  aircon can be felt at the font windscreen when selected to blow at passenger face/body only -- it can still be felt. The windscreen still fogged up when I was going home, as it was raining...

2)  the car cam got stuck back on, using another double-sided tape. Will see whether it'll last.

3)  told me the sound at the seat requires some vendor that they need to call in to dismantle the seat to check properly, and since that day didn't indent beforehand, there was no-one to do it, and so have to arrange next time inform beforehand and also go on a weekday!

4)  The GPS problem. Told me that the unit given is like that one. Nothing can be done. Told me i should key in the full street name instead of postal code, and if the unit no. that I am looking for is not available, just go to the road/street, and look for the unit...

That's the reason why i felt 'Too little or nothing' was done.

For all the trouble of leaving my car there for almost one full Sat, the only thing done is stick one double-side tape...  [bigcry]

Brother Kklee,

Bro, BM service is significantly more expensive than Nissan service. That's my conclusion from my experience back in 2001, when sending new corolla and new sunny for servicing.

But surprisingly, just as 3 yr warranty was ending, i showed them my driver's seat leather got one part hardened already, and they gladly replaced it... I didn't seriously expect them to do so, but they did it... So still not too bad overall...

Hi, what does "air con treatment" do?

I can only think of topping up air-con gas if applicable.

This is what I found from Toyota website.............

Air Conditioner Treatment

Over time fungi and bacteria can form in your vehicles air conditioner, spreading germs and odours throughout your car. But if you give your air conditioner a disinfecting and deodorising treatment at your next scheduled service you can breathe fresh air again.

Getting air conditioner treatment regularly is both curative and preventative; helping to eliminate foul odours and providing long lasting anti-bacterial and antifungal protection.

To keep the air inside your car clean, ask your Toyota Service Advisor about having your air conditioner professionally treated by our expert technicians.

Your Toyota Service Advisor will also be able to see if your vehicle is equipped with a Cabin Air Filter.

• Praise 2

This is what I found from Toyota website.............

Air Conditioner Treatment

Over time fungi and bacteria can form in your vehicles air conditioner, spreading germs and odours throughout your car. But if you give your air conditioner a disinfecting and deodorising treatment at your next scheduled service you can breathe fresh air again.

Getting air conditioner treatment regularly is both curative and preventative; helping to eliminate foul odours and providing long lasting anti-bacterial and antifungal protection.

To keep the air inside your car clean, ask your Toyota Service Advisor about having your air conditioner professionally treated by our expert technicians.

Your Toyota Service Advisor will also be able to see if your vehicle is equipped with a Cabin Air Filter.

It's basically this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AR6yF2NzRBc

• Praise 4

Neutral Newbie

Hi all, thinking of whether I should sign up for komoco's 2 yr package (at $988 if i'm not wrong), or whether I should go find a workshop to maintain my 1.5 yr old elantra... seems like the feedback here shows that komoco is not too good :(

Edited by Seanlks
  • Praise 2

Hi all, thinking of whether I should sign up for komoco's 2 yr package (at $988 if i'm not wrong), or whether I should go find a workshop to maintain my 1.5 yr old elantra... seems like the feedback here shows that komoco is not too good :(

actually you have to see what does the komoco package offers you than you can decide. $988 is not cheap if it is only just doing oil change and parts on separately charges. Than it is better off to use outside workshop more economical in the sense. So it really depends what Komoco has to offer on the package itself than you decide based on your heart.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1