How to Setup Your Android Auto - video tutorial

carloverguy2017

Optionally you can install Here WeGo  navigation. Pre-install the maps and then select Offline navigation.

The map will run via GPS only. 

Anyway, as long as your didn't set your data to ROAMING, it won't connect any Apps to a foreign country network.

Hi bro, ....I am new to AA and I have Here Wego navigation. When I tried to use " Here " , it just do not operate.....Can instruct me how to go about it ? Sorry to bring up an old thread.

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

Hi bro, ....I am new to AA and I have Here Wego navigation. When I tried to use " Here " , it just do not operate.....Can instruct me how to go about it ? Sorry to bring up an old thread.

Hi @Luckcent,

carloverguy2017 was referring to using Here Wego on the phone screen instead of inside AA as it works without data when driving in Msia. AA only supports Google Maps and Waze, both of which uses data. Google Maps do support offline map if you pre download the map and the last I tested still works offline in AA. To download offline maps, select the top left hamburger menu > Offline maps > Select Your Own Map > then zoom in or out depending on how large or small the area you'll be using. If you don't drive to JB or Msia then zoom just enough to cover Singapore. Offline map if I'm not wrong also acts as a cache when using online.

For Waze there is no offline map option but that said, data usage is negligible even for Waze unless your mobile data plan is really limited. I don't monitor the data usage but the last I did was while after spending 3/4 of the day in JB and I only consumed 300mb inclusive using my phone normally for other stuffs. These day data roaming is cheap i.e. $5 for 1GB from various telco. I also subscribe to Digi Live card that allows me to reload and buy data plan using credit card so I can have uninterrupted navigation from Sg to JB rather than top up only when I reach there. RM8 for the card with RM5 credit available for use. Comes default with 300mb. Thereafter, various data plan cost only RM1 to RM3. Thus these days there is really no need to minimise data usage even when travelling. Furthermore, AA is best use with data for hands-free voice command and live traffic updates.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Carz73

Hi @Luckcent,

carloverguy2017 was referring to using Here Wego on the phone screen instead of inside AA as it works without data when driving in Msia. AA only supports Google Maps and Waze, both of which uses data. Google Maps do support offline map if you pre download the map and the last I tested still works offline in AA. To download offline maps, select the top left hamburger menu > Offline maps > Select Your Own Map > then zoom in or out depending on how large or small the area you'll be using. If you don't drive to JB or Msia then zoom just enough to cover Singapore. Offline map if I'm not wrong also acts as a cache when using online.

For Waze there is no offline map option but that said, data usage is negligible even for Waze unless your mobile data plan is really limited. I don't monitor the data usage but the last I did was while after spending 3/4 of the day in JB and I only consumed 300mb inclusive using my phone normally for other stuffs. These day data roaming is cheap i.e. $5 for 1GB from various telco. I also subscribe to Digi Live card that allows me to reload and buy data plan using credit card so I can have uninterrupted navigation from Sg to JB rather than top up only when I reach there. RM8 for the card with RM5 credit available for use. Comes default with 300mb. Thereafter, various data plan cost only RM1 to RM3. Thus these days there is really no need to minimise data usage even when travelling. Furthermore, AA is best use with data for hands-free voice command and live traffic updates.

Hope this helps.

Hi, bro, certainly it helps. I suagu dont even knoe tha AA dont support Here off line map. Thanks.

Hi, bro, certainly it helps. I suagu dont even knoe tha AA dont support Here off line map. Thanks.

Don't say that cos lots of new users also expect AA not only support diff nav apps but also other apps in AA but unknown to them Google retains a tight control over these apps, some for commercial (Google also owns Waze) and others for safety reasons i.e mainly minimal distraction.

These are the list of supported apps in AA.

You can also browse the list from AA menu on the phone screen which is more convenient as you can also install them directly.

If need to display unsupported apps on the head unit (besides rooting to install unsupported apps to run within AA) your Kenwood DDX917WS can support wireless miracast with 2-way control i.e. can control from either screen. Need to enable screen sharing on your phone. Different brands call it differently. Samsung call it SmartView now.

Don't say that cos lots of new users also expect AA not only support diff nav apps but also other apps in AA but unknown to them Google retains a tight control over these apps, some for commercial (Google also owns Waze) and others for safety reasons i.e mainly minimal distraction.

These are the list of supported apps in AA.

You can also browse the list from AA menu on the phone screen which is more convenient as you can also install them directly.

If need to display unsupported apps on the head unit (besides rooting to install unsupported apps to run within AA) your Kenwood DDX917WS can support wireless miracast with 2-way control i.e. can control from either screen. Need to enable screen sharing on your phone. Different brands call it differently. Samsung call it SmartView now.

Bro,  too cheam lah..... well at least I can try google maps even though needs data. Thanks. The rest of all those supported apps are alien to me.

Just jumped on the andriod auto bandwagon late with a Sony XAV-Ax5000 for my ride.

Andriod auto works all right with cable.

Never really try to use other apps on phone when connected. Dont think able to unless exit andriod auto.

To voice reply whatsapp is not really accurate and your cant seem to select the songs u want in google play music. LOL!

72486793_10157522677412184_6146415224997019648_o.jpg

On 10/20/2019 at 11:23 PM, Ka_kia said:

Just jumped on the andriod auto bandwagon late with a Sony XAV-Ax5000 for my ride.

Andriod auto works all right with cable.

Never really try to use other apps on phone when connected. Dont think able to unless exit andriod auto.

To voice reply whatsapp is not really accurate and your cant seem to select the songs u want in google play music. LOL!

You can still use other apps on the phone screen. It helps if you disable "Lock phone while driving" in AA option.

Yes WhatsApp replying is more misses than hits. Not sure if the issue is with our accent despite Singapore English being selected in Google Assistant or quality or placement of head unit mic. Which is why for longer message, I rather either type out or use Google Keyboard text-to-speech recognition which is more accurate on the phone possibly due to better phone placement.

Voice navigation command is pretty accurate except HDB addresses search in Waze is broken. Is a long story for another day.

Songs selection via voice is tricky. It differs across music apps and also across different app versions or Google Apps versions. We are often left guessing if it's due to limitation, changes or bugs. Bugs can also exist on server end. Selecting playlists seems to be broken across all apps recently or I forgot it never worked because I stopped relying on voice for music selection unless I want to hear specific song or artist in which case if I add more specific context, it will work. For example, "play {song title}", play {song title} by {artist}" or "play songs by {artist}". Sometimes, you need to more specific like the last 2 examples. It will play with the last used music app. If they forget the last used music app, then the default specified in Google Assistant will be used. If you want to use another music app to play, "play {song title} on {music app name}".

In general, can also use "open {app name}" just to switch app screen without starting anything on it so once you master it, can really minimize screen interaction.

Edited by Carz73
  • Praise 1

Got my first car with AA installed...….does the app need to be running on the phone before AA starts, cause i can't start Spotify from the Head Unit. Google Maps fires up straight away so there seems a connection to the phone.

My only problem is i have no sensible place to mount the phone as my Vent Cradle will now put the phone either right behind my steering wheel or next to passenger, which is a little too far.

On 11/6/2019 at 4:23 PM, bsswan said:

Got my first car with AA installed...….does the app need to be running on the phone before AA starts, cause i can't start Spotify from the Head Unit. Google Maps fires up straight away so there seems a connection to the phone.

My only problem is i have no sensible place to mount the phone as my Vent Cradle will now put the phone either right behind my steering wheel or next to passenger, which is a little too far.

No AA does not need to be opened on the phone first.

If the Spotify issue is difficulty in starting, it's a known bug affecting most if not all music apps now.

Phone placement is a personal choice but if you use Waze, the phone preferably need a clear line of sight to the sky because Waze does not use the car gps like Gmaps does.

2 hours ago, Carz73 said:

No AA does not need to be opened on the phone first.

If the Spotify issue is difficulty in starting, it's a known bug affecting most if not all music apps now.

Phone placement is a personal choice but if you use Waze, the phone preferably need a clear line of sight to the sky because Waze does not use the car gps like Gmaps does.

For Waze, no need clear line of sight.
Most of the time, my phone is somewhere in the central console. No issue with GPS.

On 11/10/2019 at 3:37 PM, Davidtch said:

For Waze, no need clear line of sight.
Most of the time, my phone is somewhere in the central console. No issue with GPS.

Well, most users complain Waze is not as accurate as Gmaps and lags so got to explore if placement could improve it. Also depends on GPS chipset. Some phones has really poor GPS while newer phones has dual frequency GPS so it may be a factor to consider placement.

• Praise 1

need help. Android Auto I'm using for my car works ok with all the apps except the voice command. Every time I press the mic on the screen or the button on my steering wheel, it keeps prompting "when it's safe, first tap the "Notification", then you can use the google assistant while driving." 

TIA 

2 minutes ago, Wish1719 said:

need help. Android Auto I'm using for my car works ok with all the apps except the voice command. Every time I press the mic on the screen or the button on my steering wheel, it keeps prompting "when it's safe, first tap the "Notification", then you can use the google assistant while driving." 

TIA 

I'm also encountering this where previous versions/sometime back is ok.

https://www.androidcentral.com/google-assistant-ignoring-some-users-android-auto

Hope Google does and update and fix it soon. 

On 10/23/2019 at 4:53 PM, Carz73 said:

You can still use other apps on the phone screen. It helps if you disable "Lock phone while driving" in AA option.

Yes WhatsApp replying is more misses than hits. Not sure if the issue is with our accent despite Singapore English being selected in Google Assistant or quality or placement of head unit mic. Which is why for longer message, I rather either type out or use Google Keyboard text-to-speech recognition which is more accurate on the phone possibly due to better phone placement.

Voice navigation command is pretty accurate except HDB addresses search in Waze is broken. Is a long story for another day.

Songs selection via voice is tricky. It differs across music apps and also across different app versions or Google Apps versions. We are often left guessing if it's due to limitation, changes or bugs. Bugs can also exist on server end. Selecting playlists seems to be broken across all apps recently or I forgot it never worked because I stopped relying on voice for music selection unless I want to hear specific song or artist in which case if I add more specific context, it will work. For example, "play {song title}", play {song title} by {artist}" or "play songs by {artist}". Sometimes, you need to more specific like the last 2 examples. It will play with the last used music app. If they forget the last used music app, then the default specified in Google Assistant will be used. If you want to use another music app to play, "play {song title} on {music app name}".

In general, can also use "open {app name}" just to switch app screen without starting anything on it so once you master it, can really minimize screen interaction.

Thanks!

End up I route the cable to connect to my phone which is sitting on windscreen hp mount.
With an update or what, I can also unlock the phone and use other apps on hp screen while headunit is displaying maps.

For songs, I can switch to use Tuner or bluetooth and using the latter, I can skip tracks on HP screen or randomly via car buttons.

hi all, i am new to AA as well.

Is it that Bluetooth will by automatically on once you connect to AA using cable?

As of now, there is still not way to connect AA wirelessly?

Edited by Ericongy

8 hours ago, Ericongy said:

hi all, i am new to AA as well.

Is it that Bluetooth will by automatically on once you connect to AA using cable?

As of now, there is still not way to connect AA wirelessly?

Hi. Can. I am using Pioneer 9250. AA is wireless

↡ Advertisement