carloverguy2017

How to Setup Your Android Auto - video tutorial

Optionally you can install Here WeGo  navigation. Pre-install the maps and then select Offline navigation.

The map will run via GPS only. 

Anyway, as long as your didn't set your data to ROAMING, it won't connect any Apps to a foreign country network.

Hi bro, ....I am new to AA and I have Here Wego navigation. When I tried to use " Here " , it just do not operate.....Can instruct me how to go about it ? Sorry to bring up an old thread.

↡ Advertisement

Posted (edited)

Hi bro, ....I am new to AA and I have Here Wego navigation. When I tried to use " Here " , it just do not operate.....Can instruct me how to go about it ? Sorry to bring up an old thread.

Hi @Luckcent,

carloverguy2017 was referring to using Here Wego on the phone screen instead of inside AA as it works without data when driving in Msia. AA only supports Google Maps and Waze, both of which uses data. Google Maps do support offline map if you pre download the map and the last I tested still works offline in AA. To download offline maps, select the top left hamburger menu > Offline maps > Select Your Own Map > then zoom in or out depending on how large or small the area you'll be using. If you don't drive to JB or Msia then zoom just enough to cover Singapore. Offline map if I'm not wrong also acts as a cache when using online.

For Waze there is no offline map option but that said, data usage is negligible even for Waze unless your mobile data plan is really limited. I don't monitor the data usage but the last I did was while after spending 3/4 of the day in JB and I only consumed 300mb inclusive using my phone normally for other stuffs. These day data roaming is cheap i.e. $5 for 1GB from various telco. I also subscribe to Digi Live card that allows me to reload and buy data plan using credit card so I can have uninterrupted navigation from Sg to JB rather than top up only when I reach there. RM8 for the card with RM5 credit available for use. Comes default with 300mb. Thereafter, various data plan cost only RM1 to RM3. Thus these days there is really no need to minimise data usage even when travelling. Furthermore, AA is best use with data for hands-free voice command and live traffic updates.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Carz73

Hi @Luckcent,

carloverguy2017 was referring to using Here Wego on the phone screen instead of inside AA as it works without data when driving in Msia. AA only supports Google Maps and Waze, both of which uses data. Google Maps do support offline map if you pre download the map and the last I tested still works offline in AA. To download offline maps, select the top left hamburger menu > Offline maps > Select Your Own Map > then zoom in or out depending on how large or small the area you'll be using. If you don't drive to JB or Msia then zoom just enough to cover Singapore. Offline map if I'm not wrong also acts as a cache when using online.

For Waze there is no offline map option but that said, data usage is negligible even for Waze unless your mobile data plan is really limited. I don't monitor the data usage but the last I did was while after spending 3/4 of the day in JB and I only consumed 300mb inclusive using my phone normally for other stuffs. These day data roaming is cheap i.e. $5 for 1GB from various telco. I also subscribe to Digi Live card that allows me to reload and buy data plan using credit card so I can have uninterrupted navigation from Sg to JB rather than top up only when I reach there. RM8 for the card with RM5 credit available for use. Comes default with 300mb. Thereafter, various data plan cost only RM1 to RM3. Thus these days there is really no need to minimise data usage even when travelling. Furthermore, AA is best use with data for hands-free voice command and live traffic updates.

Hope this helps.

Hi, bro, certainly it helps. I suagu dont even knoe tha AA dont support Here off line map. Thanks.

Hi, bro, certainly it helps. I suagu dont even knoe tha AA dont support Here off line map. Thanks.

Don't say that cos lots of new users also expect AA not only support diff nav apps but also other apps in AA but unknown to them Google retains a tight control over these apps, some for commercial (Google also owns Waze) and others for safety reasons i.e mainly minimal distraction.

These are the list of supported apps in AA.

You can also browse the list from AA menu on the phone screen which is more convenient as you can also install them directly.

If need to display unsupported apps on the head unit (besides rooting to install unsupported apps to run within AA) your Kenwood DDX917WS can support wireless miracast with 2-way control i.e. can control from either screen. Need to enable screen sharing on your phone. Different brands call it differently. Samsung call it SmartView now.

Don't say that cos lots of new users also expect AA not only support diff nav apps but also other apps in AA but unknown to them Google retains a tight control over these apps, some for commercial (Google also owns Waze) and others for safety reasons i.e mainly minimal distraction.

These are the list of supported apps in AA.

You can also browse the list from AA menu on the phone screen which is more convenient as you can also install them directly.

If need to display unsupported apps on the head unit (besides rooting to install unsupported apps to run within AA) your Kenwood DDX917WS can support wireless miracast with 2-way control i.e. can control from either screen. Need to enable screen sharing on your phone. Different brands call it differently. Samsung call it SmartView now.

Bro,  too cheam lah..... well at least I can try google maps even though needs data. Thanks. The rest of all those supported apps are alien to me.

↡ Advertisement