Mazda CX-8

Notsogoodman

Message added by kobayashiGT

Go participate in your favourite Mazda CX-8 here!

4 minutes ago, Cheefarn said:

Tentative pricing for the CX 8 Elite (aka top spec 2.5L model) is at about $160k according to the SE that served me at the motorshow

CX9 Lux model at $190k

Thanks.

4 minutes ago, Spoony said:

The cx 8 is kinda half baked...look at the  second row you can only seat two behind with the cup holder inbetween of 2 person...last row is really small best if you put your pug or bull dog at the last row of seat.    

cx9 still beat the 8 by good margin of space  and interior 

Looks like it is neither here nor there. Maybe there is a little niche. But  if have such a need, then the CRV will be a better package.

↡ Advertisement

4 hours ago, Cheefarn said:

Tentative pricing for the CX 8 Elite (aka top spec 2.5L model) is at about $160k according to the SE that served me at the motorshow

CX9 Lux model at $190k

Suppose it depends on the discounts the SE can give. The latest sale price for the cx9 is 182k, but I was quoted 175k from the SE (I'm sure it won't be hard to bring it to 170k).  

Given the CX9 is supposed to be a new model, I wouldn't be surprised if they wouldn't discount the cx8 initially. 

Then again, it also wouldn't surprise me if TEK artificially increased the cost of the Cx9 to create a clear distinction, since they have had precedent with that with cx-30/cx-5 and mazda3. Which is to say, if you want a cx9, then now might be a good time! 

Edited by GTO-1

3 hours ago, andrewyewkc said:

Thanks.

Looks like it is neither here nor there. Maybe there is a little niche. But  if have such a need, then the CRV will be a better package.

Curiously, I just looked at the OMV of a CX9 and CRV. 

OMV $33.6k (CX9) vs $183k sale price
OMV $33.1k (CR-V) vs $146k sale price

I have mixed feelings.  If you could buy the CX9 at OMV, it's a much better deal than the CR-V.  But that's a massive difference in dealer margin!

• Praise 1

10 minutes ago, Invigorated said:

At this price, many would rather get the upcoming CLB fr PI. Probably about 180k thereabouts. Better interior finishing and space. 

You mean Merc GLB? 

If so, that's a whole different category of car.  It's openly a mid/small 7-seater SUV, not a large 7-seater SUV.  That is 4.6m in length, vs cx8 (4.9m) and cx9 (5+m).  I would also even question the interior finish and space, since I would argue that at Merc's cheaper range of cars (ie C-class and below) are far from high quality.

Not to mention, people do buy from AD over PI for a reason also. 

Edited by GTO-1
  • Praise 1

2 hours ago, oktaviatan said:

Design with family-style, 360-degree view monitor, bose premium audio, but for me too expensive 

How much is the price? Any idea?

I went to Mazda showroom before the circuit breaker kicked in and they quoted me $169k for CX-9, so I think CX-8 should be much lesser?

On 1/14/2020 at 6:21 PM, Invigorated said:

At this price, many would rather get the upcoming CLB fr PI. Probably about 180k thereabouts. Better interior finishing and space. 

At first I also thought like that. Spend a bit more get Merc why not right?

then I looked at Merc GLB pics from Vincar. The interior looks cheapo especially the seats. And the best part...no electric seats.

i used to own a CX-9 (new model). Sold it because it is too wide, parking too much hassle. So CX-8 appeals to me if the price is right at around $140k, which is the CR-V price now

8 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

It is coming... But sadly, trading horsepower (-36 HP) for better VES banding (surcharge reduced from $20K to $10K).

MfIvuEX.png

how do you see that it has -36 horsepower? 

I'm quite interested in this car and will likely go test drive it this weekend.

• Praise 1

On 10/15/2020 at 6:01 PM, fungyee77 said:

Cx9 is a 2.5T

There is a small CX9 community in SG. About 50-60 on Whats App. 

I was on a Kia Sorento and moved to a CX9 - 2.5T, 2WD, very lux drive, power on tap, very good drive. Driver's SUV. 

Quality is impeccable. Very underrated drive in SG. 

Problems: 

1. Car is too huge, long. Does not fit into older small carparks 

• Praise 2

On 10/16/2020 at 12:30 AM, Butterss said:

how do you see that it has -36 horsepower? 

I'm quite interested in this car and will likely go test drive it this weekend.

I am comparing the CX-8 2.5 NA with the CX-9 2.5T (you can check out the list I have attached in my previous post.

Using the same engine block (2,488cc), the CX-9 (Turbo) churned out 170KW / 228bhp horsepower whereas the CX-8 (NA) churned out  143KW / 192bhp, thus the -36 hp difference I am referring.

If you look into the torque figure, the loss is even more prominent, 420Nm (2.5T) vs 258Nm (2.5 NA). Given that the weight of the smaller CX-8 is only 100Kg lighter than CX-9, I personally feel the drive and handling will be quite different from CX-9.

Do let us know how you feel after your test drive. Best if you can test both CX-8 & CX-9 back to back.

19 minutes ago, Echelon said:

There is a small CX9 community in SG. About 50-60 on Whats App. 

I was on a Kia Sorento and moved to a CX9 - 2.5T, 2WD, very lux drive, power on tap, very good drive. Driver's SUV. 

Quality is impeccable. Very underrated drive in SG. 

Problems: 

1. Car is too huge, long. Does not fit into older small carparks 

Hi bro, remembered you used to drive the mark 1 Superb before your 2nd gen Sorento... So mind sharing what are the key differences between the 2.2 CRDI Sorento vs your current 2.5T CX-9? (size aside). Thanks.

• Praise 7

8 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

I am comparing the CX-8 2.5 NA with the CX-9 2.5T (you can check out the list I have attached in my previous post.

Using the same engine block (2,488cc), the CX-9 (Turbo) churned out 170KW / 228bhp horsepower whereas the CX-8 (NA) churned out  143KW / 192bhp, thus the -36 hp difference I am referring.

If you look into the torque figure, the loss is even more prominent, 420Nm (2.5T) vs 258Nm (2.5 NA). Given that the weight of the smaller CX-8 is only 100Kg lighter than CX-9, I personally feel the drive and handling will be quite different from CX-9.

Do let us know how you feel after your test drive. Best if you can test both CX-8 & CX-9 back to back.

I see, yeah I agree with you, I was so looking forward to Mazda bringing in the CX-8 with 2.5 turbo that is only available in Japan but they only brought in 2.5 NA. This was almost a deal breaker for me but I guess I can live without the turbo.

I tested the CX-8 and signed on the spot. Engine wise, power is sufficient but not powerful. Everything about the car has what I wanted - the tech specs, 2nd row captain seats, the space, HUD etc. The SE also gave me a good deal (or so I believe) so I signed.

However there's something that I cannot accept is Mazda Singapore replaced the Ayous wood panel (dashboard and side doors) with some faux cheapo looking carbon fibre panels. It's damn ugly and I'm trying to see if I can buy it from Mazda Japan or Malaysia etc and ship it into Singapore.

Every country in southeast asia is getting the Ayous wood panels except Singapore. I don't understand.

E96D45C1-2571-42AE-8023-332974F55A5E.jpeg

mazda-cx8-singapore-carbuyer-5.jpg

• Praise 4

15 hours ago, Butterss said:

I see, yeah I agree with you, I was so looking forward to Mazda bringing in the CX-8 with 2.5 turbo that is only available in Japan but they only brought in 2.5 NA. This was almost a deal breaker for me but I guess I can live without the turbo.

I tested the CX-8 and signed on the spot. Engine wise, power is sufficient but not powerful. Everything about the car has what I wanted - the tech specs, 2nd row captain seats, the space, HUD etc. The SE also gave me a good deal (or so I believe) so I signed.

However there's something that I cannot accept is Mazda Singapore replaced the Ayous wood panel (dashboard and side doors) with some faux cheapo looking carbon fibre panels. It's damn ugly and I'm trying to see if I can buy it from Mazda Japan or Malaysia etc and ship it into Singapore.

Every country in southeast asia is getting the Ayous wood panels except Singapore. I don't understand.

E96D45C1-2571-42AE-8023-332974F55A5E.jpeg

mazda-cx8-singapore-carbuyer-5.jpg

You are right, the faux carbon fibre is very ugly. TEK is supposed to create a premium look. If my wife see this in the showroom, straight away will reject like she rejected the Harrier. Amazingly Malaysia gets the real Ayous wood panel but not the Bose. 

dfdgfghg.JPG

↡ Advertisement