Mazda CX-8

Notsogoodman

Message added by kobayashiGT

Go participate in your favourite Mazda CX-8 here!

25 minutes ago, andrewyewkc said:

You are right, the faux carbon fibre is very ugly. TEK is supposed to create a premium look. If my wife see this in the showroom, straight away will reject like she rejected the Harrier. Amazingly Malaysia gets the real Ayous wood panel but not the Bose. 

dfdgfghg.JPG

Yeah, my worst case solution will be to buy some stickers to paste over it or see if I can replace it with the panels from CX-5.

If really need to choose, I rather have the Bose sound system than the Ayous wood.

↡ Advertisement

33 minutes ago, Butterss said:

Yeah, my worst case solution will be to buy some stickers to paste over it or see if I can replace it with the panels from CX-5.

If really need to choose, I rather have the Bose sound system than the Ayous wood.

Trims can definitely be bought but none will look better than the real wood panels. Panels from the CX-5 will be of different size. The picture from Mazda website shows a different colour which still looks nice. Not sure what you will be getting.

dsgjkunb.JPG

4 minutes ago, andrewyewkc said:

Trims can definitely be bought but none will look better than the real wood panels. Panels from the CX-5 will be of different size. The picture from Mazda website shows a different colour which still looks nice. Not sure what you will be getting.

dsgjkunb.JPG

Confirmed with my SE that all variants of CX-8 that TEK is bringing to SG will have the faux carbon fibre. This photo is more for illustration purpose only. 😞

I was hoping that CX-5 panels can be used since the width and dashboard of CX-5 and CX-8 are exactly the same.

19 minutes ago, Butterss said:

Confirmed with my SE that all variants of CX-8 that TEK is bringing to SG will have the faux carbon fibre. This photo is more for illustration purpose only. 😞

I was hoping that CX-5 panels can be used since the width and dashboard of CX-5 and CX-8 are exactly the same.

You are right, the width is the same and the dashboards look exactly the same.  This is also good so you will have less problem parking. My previous car was wider so I usually have problem of opening the doors wide.  Good luck with the change. Cosmetic is not as important to me as the drive and handling, so this is a very good choice. 

fdgfghkj;li.JPG

20 minutes ago, andrewyewkc said:

You are right, the width is the same and the dashboards look exactly the same.  This is also good so you will have less problem parking. My previous car was wider so I usually have problem of opening the doors wide.  Good luck with the change. Cosmetic is not as important to me as the drive and handling, so this is a very good choice. 

fdgfghkj;li.JPG

Yeah, both the CX-5 and CX-8 are 1840mm in width and they share the same dashboard, so I hope the panels from the CX-5 can be used. Will need to check with TEK.

If not for CX-9's width that makes parking tough and opening of doors tough, I would have bought the CX-9 since it's only $10k more than CX-8.

Same as you, cosmetic is not the deal breaker for me, that's why I bought the CX-8. For me, comfort, space and drive are the key factors.

• Praise 1

13 minutes ago, Butterss said:

Yeah, both the CX-5 and CX-8 are 1840mm in width and they share the same dashboard, so I hope the panels from the CX-5 can be used. Will need to check with TEK.

If not for CX-9's width that makes parking tough and opening of doors tough, I would have bought the CX-9 since it's only $10k more than CX-8.

Same as you, cosmetic is not the deal breaker for me, that's why I bought the CX-8. For me, comfort, space and drive are the key factors.

my friend considering Cx-9 demo unit vs cx-8 for his missus.

5 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

my friend considering Cx-9 demo unit vs cx-8 for his missus.

If not for CX-9's wide width, I would have gone for it. I feel that the CX-9 is in a class of its own. Really good.

• Praise 2

14 minutes ago, Butterss said:

If not for CX-9's wide width, I would have gone for it. I feel that the CX-9 is in a class of its own. Really good.

oh just checked with him. the demo unit he liked is sold. Now only left 1 x red which he doesn't like.

On 10/20/2020 at 2:26 PM, Carbon82 said:

I am comparing the CX-8 2.5 NA with the CX-9 2.5T (you can check out the list I have attached in my previous post.

Using the same engine block (2,488cc), the CX-9 (Turbo) churned out 170KW / 228bhp horsepower whereas the CX-8 (NA) churned out  143KW / 192bhp, thus the -36 hp difference I am referring.

If you look into the torque figure, the loss is even more prominent, 420Nm (2.5T) vs 258Nm (2.5 NA). Given that the weight of the smaller CX-8 is only 100Kg lighter than CX-9, I personally feel the drive and handling will be quite different from CX-9.

Do let us know how you feel after your test drive. Best if you can test both CX-8 & CX-9 back to back.

Hi bro, remembered you used to drive the mark 1 Superb before your 2nd gen Sorento... So mind sharing what are the key differences between the 2.2 CRDI Sorento vs your current 2.5T CX-9? (size aside). Thanks.

Hi bro, you have exceptionally good memory!! Hahaha.. thats good. Obviously I am not a badge guy, even though I have a two mercs previous and later, realized that a non-badge ride is equality amazing! 

I had the 2.2 CRDI KIA Sorento (2013 model) and now a 2.5T Mazda CX-9 - difference of the ride

Where the KIA triumphs: 

1. Features like auto dip side mirror when you reverse

2. Auto parking

3. Third Row Aircon

4. Moon Roof - that my kids miss from the KIA

5. Shorter means easier in carparks

6. Turbo Diesel - means less issues, bullet proof engine

7. Sold it at 280,000km. 🙂 Well driven ride.

8. Aircon seats

9. Served me well. 

Complaints: 

1. Not much only wished it was slightly bigger. 

Where the Mazda triumphs:

1. A more refined ride, very very quiet cabin (Commented from a friend who drives a Merc E250 and another friend, a Lexus ES) 

2. Equal 420NM torque so its really sprinty, for such a large vehicle it actually handles like a small sedan - very easy and fun to drive. 

3. Quality build very well crafted and feels very luxurious similar to Audi/Merc/Lexus 

4. A very engaging drive

5. Pedestrian auto brake (up to 30km/h only) Same autobrake when reversing (saved me a couple times on reversing into a wall and once a Pedestrian stepped out of the corner blindspot in a carpark - car auto brakes and cuts accelerator) - Phew!!

6. Overall lovely design and ride. 

7. Very under-rated. 

Complaints: 

1. No third row aircon 

2. My 2018 model no 360 camera (2019 model has it)

3. Too long - over 5m means sometimes it is a little tight getting into older carparks

The CX9 community is growing and may came over from Euro badges and one thing everyone has to say, a surprisingly good ride with luxurious trims, engaging drive and overall all round ageless design. 

The Mazda CX 8 is an equally good ride, shorter in length for the Japanese market and also since the CX9 is not available in Japan. It is a slightly smaller version of the CX9 with a better price and yet a very nice lux crafted ride. 

• Praise 6

6 hours ago, Lala81 said:

oh just checked with him. the demo unit he liked is sold. Now only left 1 x red which he doesn't like.

Any idea the kind of price we are looking at a CX9? 

8 hours ago, Hamburger said:

Any idea the kind of price we are looking at a CX9? 

165k for yom2019 demo car. 400+km on odometer. 

Not sure if last red one is the same. 

• Praise 3

11 hours ago, Echelon said:

Hi bro, you have exceptionally good memory!! Hahaha.. thats good. Obviously I am not a badge guy, even though I have a two mercs previous and later, realized that a non-badge ride is equality amazing! 

I had the 2.2 CRDI KIA Sorento (2013 model) and now a 2.5T Mazda CX-9 - difference of the ride

Where the KIA triumphs: 

1. Features like auto dip side mirror when you reverse

2. Auto parking

3. Third Row Aircon

4. Moon Roof - that my kids miss from the KIA

5. Shorter means easier in carparks

6. Turbo Diesel - means less issues, bullet proof engine

7. Sold it at 280,000km. 🙂 Well driven ride.

8. Aircon seats

9. Served me well. 

Complaints: 

1. Not much only wished it was slightly bigger. 

Where the Mazda triumphs:

1. A more refined ride, very very quiet cabin (Commented from a friend who drives a Merc E250 and another friend, a Lexus ES) 

2. Equal 420NM torque so its really sprinty, for such a large vehicle it actually handles like a small sedan - very easy and fun to drive. 

3. Quality build very well crafted and feels very luxurious similar to Audi/Merc/Lexus 

4. A very engaging drive

5. Pedestrian auto brake (up to 30km/h only) Same autobrake when reversing (saved me a couple times on reversing into a wall and once a Pedestrian stepped out of the corner blindspot in a carpark - car auto brakes and cuts accelerator) - Phew!!

6. Overall lovely design and ride. 

7. Very under-rated. 

Complaints: 

1. No third row aircon 

2. My 2018 model no 360 camera (2019 model has it)

3. Too long - over 5m means sometimes it is a little tight getting into older carparks

The CX9 community is growing and may came over from Euro badges and one thing everyone has to say, a surprisingly good ride with luxurious trims, engaging drive and overall all round ageless design. 

The Mazda CX 8 is an equally good ride, shorter in length for the Japanese market and also since the CX9 is not available in Japan. It is a slightly smaller version of the CX9 with a better price and yet a very nice lux crafted ride. 

Wha u drive go Thailand ah? 280k mileage and for 5 yrs only? (2013-2018?) 

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 3

20 minutes ago, andrewyewkc said:

Quite a bit of savings.

sefdvynh.JPG

makes the depreciation to around 14+k/year. Similar to a Sorento mid trim. Well it's sold. Haha my friend said he was quite sad. While he was deciding. 

well there's a red one left. Think that's the last one. 

Edited by Lala81

Hi guys...just need some advice from experience drivers here .Is it wise to get a diesel or a patrol car cause now I'm contemplating to get the new 2021 Sorrento (diesel) or CX8 (patrol). From what I've gathered, diesel car in the long run will be costly to maintain and travelling to Msia won't be easy to look for patrol stn compared to patrol car. Pls advise and thks in advance. 

13 hours ago, Yan66 said:

Hi guys...just need some advice from experience drivers here .Is it wise to get a diesel or a patrol car cause now I'm contemplating to get the new 2021 Sorrento (diesel) or CX8 (patrol). From what I've gathered, diesel car in the long run will be costly to maintain and travelling to Msia won't be easy to look for patrol stn compared to patrol car. Pls advise and thks in advance. 

I was considering diesel cars for a while but I still cannot accept the loud "tak tak tak" sound from the engine, just like taxi and lorry. Though diesel cars have improved a lot, I still prefer petrol engines for now.

Another reason is what you had mentioned - not all petrol stations in Malaysia offer the Euro 5 diesel.

As for maintenance cost, I cannot comment as I do not own a diesel car.

• Praise 1

19 hours ago, Yan66 said:

Hi, been driving a diesel last 4 years after 10 plus years of petrol. 

A few things to think about:

1. High road tax vs diesel savings: If you are thinking about 1.4L petrol Kodiaq ($600 road tax) vs  2.2L diesel Sorento ($2200), then need to think if your mileage is high enough to save $1.4k p.a. But if you are looking at a 2.5L petrol CX-8 ($1800), then its not a big issue.  Some data you can use, but whether it makes sense or not will depend on your own driving patterns. 

- FC Not sure about CX-8 FC, but am getting 12km/L on Sorento 6 speed on 60-40 highway, and 10.5km/L on 20-80 highway. For comparison, my 2.4L petrol was averaging 7km/L on the 20-80 route. 
- Fuel cost :  Diesel cost is cheaper. I pay $1.2/L. Petrol is around $1.6 to $2/L after discounts, depending on which grade/octane you buy. 

2. Travelling to Malaysia

- Most (almost all) petrol stations along NSHW have Euro 5

- In cities, may not be so easy, but was much better last year than 4 years ago

- Usually no issue as long as you pump before you go into the city as range is pretty good. I usually get 700 to 800km per tank. In Malaysia, getting 900km+ is doable (given mostly highway). 

Edited by fungyee77
  • Praise 4