Any amsoil alternatives?

Peqasus

in today's era of expensive car prices its best to change EO regularly and more closely.  Cheap insurance for yr car engine.  

I ve run 10k intervals previously on Shell Helix and there are some sluggy stuffs on the oil filler cap.  I believe the same could happen to the other "great" brands of oil.  Many people follow WS that recommend 10k km oil change intervals, which is fine if it works for you n your wallet.  But our car engines are also working when car is stationery at traffic junctions waiting for green to go.  If you add that in, 10km will actually be 12k km or more in real terms.

7k interval between oil changes is a good discipline.  I now change my oil anywhere between 5k to 6.5k km, as oil is rather cheap these days.  Once i can feel the smoothness of the oil dimishing, I will change the oil.  I am a believer that oil quality n properties depreciates in some straight line form, and any aged oil is never as good as new oil.  And yes i do not waste time n money to do Used Oil Analysis.  I also do not like to use Engine Flush, had bad experience once.  When I wanted to flush the engine clean, I ll just change the oil after another 500 to 1k km.  

The oil filter, which can be expensive for some cars, can be changed every 10-12k km.  

Edited by Ahbengdriver
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

in today's era of expensive car prices its best to change EO regularly and more closely.  Cheap insurance for yr car engine.  

I ve run 10k intervals previously on Shell Helix and there are some sluggy stuffs on the oil filler cap.  I believe the same could happen to the other "great" brands of oil.  Many people follow WS that recommend 10k km oil change intervals, which is fine if it works for you n your wallet.  But our car engines are also working when car is stationery at traffic junctions waiting for green to go.  If you add that in, 10km will actually be 12k km or more in real terms.

7k interval between oil changes is a good discipline.  I now change my oil anywhere between 5k to 6.5k km, as oil is rather cheap these days.  Once i can feel the smoothness of the oil dimishing, I will change the oil.  I am a believer that oil quality n properties depreciates in some straight line form, and any aged oil is never as good as new oil.  And yes i do not waste time n money to do Used Oil Analysis.  I also do not like to use Engine Flush, had bad experience once.  When I wanted to flush the engine clean, I ll just change the oil after another 500 to 1k km.  

The oil filter, which can be expensive for some cars, can be changed every 10-12k km.  

Shell Helix is not really great oil lah.

If clock 20k mileage a year, there will be 2 oil change in a year.  No need to be so kiasu lah.

What are are you driving that you are using Amsoil for? Perhaps knowing the specifications that your car engine requires will help.

Some car engines require specific ACEA grades of engine oils - most don't. A good alternative that I used to use was Royal Purple. Found it to be smooth in my old Hyundai engines.

Hope that helps.