Peugeot 3008(2017) VS Toyota Harrier 2.0 NA

LancerJay

I will prefer harrier turbo, impressed by the spacious interior, just by looking at the rides on the road, we can easily know which car was more popular.

I will prefer harrier turbo, impressed by the spacious interior, just by looking at the rides on the road, we can easily know which car was more popular.

↡ Advertisement

Its a peugeot....

LOL, bro, you need to let me know the intend, I am guessing it is more of a let down? Anyway cheers bro!

To be perfectly honest, this is not really an apple-apple comparison. It really boils down to your day-to-day needs out of this vehicle for you to really decide then.

• If you are going for more interior cabin space - Harrier should be the clear winner here.
  • If you need a larger boot - (surprisingly) 3008 takes this top trump.
  • If you want to save on insurance, petrol and road tax costs - 3008 takes this round.
  • If you want to pay less to purchase the car - Harrier is slightly cheaper, coming in at 130K for a base model at selected PI, compared to 136K for the 1.2litre 3008 variant.
  • If you are concerned about maintenance - general maintenance parts costs for both are around the same, but the difference would be in the availability of workshops that will be able to service the 3008. For that, I would give this as a slim win to Harrier.
  • If you want a more satisfying, spirited drive - that would definitely go to the 3008, especially if you go for the 1.6litre variant.
To nett it off, the lower servicing costs and purchase price of the Harrier might be offset by the lower owner costs (insurance, road tax & petrol) and so if you don't mind the drive of the Harrier - you should go for that. Otherwise, the 3008 is definitely a decent buy.

Wow bro, you did a point by point analysis on my thoughts and it's spot on! I feel that both side have equal strength, that's why you point the drive part, you are a conti or jap person? Lol just curious !

For any conti car, if u only have a 5 year outlook, then u can ignore maintenance. Most serious issues happen after 100k.

Noted, I bought a 2006 BMW 523 before at the 6years old, and I felt helpless to fix the gearbox issue after 3 workshops, finally I traded the car for a Jap ride and was Super relived.

You had bad experience with conti cars too? Care to share?

Except when you kenah the dreaded mechatronics failure issue. But really heng-suay - I have two cousins driving Audi and one drove his A5 till 6 years also no issue. But the A4 (2.0 Quattro) had mechatronics problem within the first 18 months.

Having said that, you are quite fair in your assessment - and also provided that preventive maintenance is done to schedule of course.

LOL! So bro, you prefer conti or jap?

But if he going to drive as part time uber, then milage can easily hit over 100k

Yes! My mileage will definitely be over 100k in a short time, so your recommendation bro?

But if he going to drive as part time uber, then milage can easily hit over 100k

Yes! My mileage will definitely be over 100k in a short time, so your recommendation bro?

Toyota vs. Peugeot?

Is it even a contest?

LOL! I know the straight forward sediments about reliableity of Toyota, this is the most valid point, but any good points for the pug?

I heard peugeot is after 60...

Scary bro, so far any 3008 2017 horror stories?

• Praise 1

hmm stall in the middle of the road considered safe?

haha i was once caught in a jam that a peugot blocked up the filter lane cos it just died.

maybe in sg no biggie, in usa, in the night getting off a freeway, probably a reason to suffer a rear collision.

USA also got IIHS lah. Not say NCAP is the only safety testing organisation in the world.

If u looking to do part time uber/grab, wont a diesel vehicle be more suitable?

Yeah, agreed, stalling in the middle of the road is something that I cannot deal with, as for diesel vehicle, currently any good to recommend ? Note: 'cheap and good'

What my friends tell me is that the only French car you should consider is Renault (because of the Nissan connection). My advice is to forget about Peugeot and Citroen unless you are ok to fork out time and money for repairs. But then again if you can fork out time and money, why you considering these brands instead of the usual premium Conti cars. Also resale, how many will buy a secondhand Citroen or Peugeot - very very few if any. Get the Toyota if it's just between these two models.

Bro, you have managed to sway me towards Japanese car, the beautiful 3008 is just so much hassle eventually, especially the get rid of it part. Good Man! So you riding a jap too?

What my friends tell me is that the only French car you should consider is Renault (because of the Nissan connection). My advice is to forget about Peugeot and Citroen unless you are ok to fork out time and money for repairs. But then again if you can fork out time and money, why you considering these brands instead of the usual premium Conti cars. Also resale, how many will buy a secondhand Citroen or Peugeot - very very few if any. Get the Toyota if it's just between these two models.

Bro, you have managed to sway me towards Japanese car, the beautiful 3008 is just so much hassle eventually, especially the get rid of it part. Good Man! So you riding a jap too?

Just a word of caution. Peugeot dealership AutoFrance sucks big time. Really not professional and there is no redressal system in place...

Bro, you had some bad experience with AF? Care to share? What car were you riding then?

Just a word of caution. Peugeot dealership AutoFrance sucks big time. Really not professional and there is no redressal system in place...

Bro, you had some bad experience with AF? Care to share? What car were you riding then?

not difficult to see so many tiagong or hearsay on French car repair and no parts.

only owners will know what the real answer is.

Safety is upmost important to me and thats why i am fine to put up with little hiccups that comes along my way.

I agreed on the safety part bro, how about your personal preference on the 2 cars?

not difficult to see so many tiagong or hearsay on French car repair and no parts.

only owners will know what the real answer is.

Safety is upmost important to me and thats why i am fine to put up with little hiccups that comes along my way.

I agreed on the safety part bro, how about your personal preference on the 2 cars?

Scary stories. But I think that the newer models seems to be getting better in terms reliability?

Maybe it is my wishful thinking as my family just put down Downpayment for a 308SW

Bro! You should come here for more scary stories more often, maybe can discourage you from Peugeot beautiful poison! LOL! Just kidding! All the Bros are very generous to share their stories here!

I am trying very hard to convince my wife that harrier is the better choice , somehow she saw the horror stories and woke up to the fact that Toyota is better and safer.

Bro, turbo harrier needs a sizable down payment = cannot afford .... sad ...sob sob...

But on the good side, the harrier NA has a better fuel economy for a 1.6 tonne SUV.

You test drove the turbo version? I must say the turbo is not the " hion Hion Lai" type, but a very precise release of power at the pedal, I wasn't expecting Subaru STI perfoemance, but it's the most comfortable acceleration I ever felt in a SUV, let me known how's your experience with the harrier turbo .

My French connection started in Dec 2012 and ended in May 2016. During this period, my French beauty - Pug 5008 THP gave me lots of fun and pleasure. The problem started within one month after collecting the car. It was the reverse sensor calibration and it took me 2 visits to get the Auto France - AF contractor to resolve the problem. After one year plus, the horror started, there was a clapping sound while driving and fearing that by stopping the car in the middle of the road, the car my not start again, I chose to stop at a petrol kiosk. And sure enough, it cannot restart. It was towed to AF and only collect it after 3 days due the weekend. Problem is with fuel injector. Then again, about 6 months later, I felt a loss of power out of the sudden when driving on the right lane of a three lane road. I had to signal to the left and fortunately, I was near AF workshop and managed to drag and pull the car to the AF car park. Again, it was fuel injector. A few months passed, and then I got a shock when my fuel consumption nosedive, and I had to use my right foot to depress all the way to accelerate. I sent in the car again to AF. The adviser explained something to me but all these comments were not documented. Then again in the next month, I felt the same problem again with the acceleration, I quickly parked my car at my residence and called for tow. I was told that this time, my warranty has expired and I will be charged with the tow fee amounting $110 plus GST. I told them that I had paid for extended warranty upto 5 years but I was told that extended warranty at AF does not cover towing fee. No choice, pay and pay all the way. Worst thing came when I traded in for a Toyota Wish, the sales person told me 5008 is junk. Paper value plus a few thousands more. What more can I say? My next visit to the new car dealer was the most memorable as the 5008 broke down in front of the new car showroom. Imagine the agony and embarrassment I got. At the same time, I was totally calmed that this French beauty has been traded in. No more French beauty for me from that day onwards.

Bro, I awarded your horror story 5/5 stars! You will not suffer in vain, your presevance with the towing and the love affair is truely remarkable! My Wife and I after reading this is dead set at getting the used harrier, you nailed it!

Good job!

LOL, bro, you need to let me know the intend, I am guessing it is more of a let down? Anyway cheers bro!

Wow bro, you did a point by point analysis on my thoughts and it's spot on! I feel that both side have equal strength, that's why you point the drive part, you are a conti or jap person? Lol just curious !

Noted, I bought a 2006 BMW 523 before at the 6years old, and I felt helpless to fix the gearbox issue after 3 workshops, finally I traded the car for a Jap ride and was Super relived.

You had bad experience with conti cars too? Care to share?

LOL! So bro, you prefer conti or jap?

LOL! I know the straight forward sediments about reliableity of Toyota, this is the most valid point, but any good points for the pug?

Scary bro, so far any 3008 2017 horror stories?

Well bro...lol...no offence but I do not have a good impression of peugeot in terms of reliability...a few of my colicks owned one but most sold within 2 years (with much difficulty and huge deprec) and cited electronic and eng issues. I have a mechnaic friend who still bought a second hand though..but as he is a mechanic so i reckon he knows what he is into. He has lobang to spares and can repair it easily. I only remember he said he bought it because it is cheap as second hand. I must say the drive feels good though. Build is solid and i like the autoparking feature and ended up almost buying one for my wife until my colicks stopped me. Lol. Again, i personally do not own one to have enough proven comments. But to be honest I hardly see peugeot on the road nowadays. Edited by Andyngps

Am driving a Japanese make. Harrier is a bit expensive but if you can afford it, I think it's ok. Yeah forget the Peugeot la dude - somemore you want to drive part time uber, mileage will be higher. Problems will start cropping up much sooner.

Anyway, you can also try the Renault Kadjar if you really want French car

No brainer for me.

Pug is the choice. I want to drive a car that l would look forward to stepping in.

My bro owned a 308sw  for more than a year and he is loving it. No regrets.

• Praise 3

No brainer for me.

Pug is the choice. I want to drive a car that l would look forward to stepping in.

My bro owned a 308sw for more than a year and he is loving it. No regrets.

Even though I don't recommend French cars, I agree with bro Hamburger that ultimately you should buy something you like. Maybe can go look for more Japanese models if you don't like the Harrier

No brainer for me.

My bro owned a 308sw  for more than a year and he is loving it. No regrets.

the idea is to own for more than 5 years before forming a conclusion

French I only like their wine, Italy I can only afford their pizza, not their Ferrari.  [wave] 

the point was italy also makes good cars, besides the germans. as for reliability, they're actually pretty much the same.

Hi, 

Just to share and give my comment as a ex-Peugeot 5008 eHDi owner.

I owned the car for 3.5 years (mileage 88k) .  During the period of ownership, I encountered 2 incidents that I had to stop at the road side.

Both incidents are caused by the fuel injector issues.  The first incidents and 2nd incident is just 1 month apart.  If they do a proper maintenance for the first incident, the 2nd will not happen.

Once the injector fail, (total have 4 in the car), the engine failure indicator will appear, and the car loss power but will not stall.

Rightfully, once the injector fail, the replacement should be 4 together, but instead, AF just replaced 1 unit instead of my several reminder to them to replace all the injectors.

After the replacement of the 2nd time, which all the injectors were replaced, everything is good until 1 year later, where engine failure happen again and intermittent , but this time, no power loss.   I send the car back to AF for inspection, and they told me one injector issue again and replace it.  But after replacement intermittent engine failure still happen.

I can not remember did they replace again any injectors for me, but what I want to share is , the problem is not because of the injector, but engine failure is caused by the battery.  Battery had to be high cranking Power type, which previously made by my own self is not a correct type.  So AF do not particularly sure but recommend me to change battery, since my battery is close to 2 years.

To my surprise, after i changed the battery base on the recommended spec,  all the intermittent engine failure was gone.

And during those period where my car was at workshop, AF did give me a replacement car. 

The Peugeot car is good to drive, feel very stable even it is a MPV, diesel engine is very punchy, and during over taking, the power is there.  Although it is the older model, but it come with all the features, like rainsensor, panaromic, error diagnostic and etc.

Service cost is still cheaper among continental car.  To be frank, i like the car, the drive and the handling.  But resale is an issue.  2nd hand car dealer will not want to take in your car.  But if you advertise your own, you will get buyer who really appreciate Peugeot Car.

I actually want to wait for new 5008, but somehow, after visited Audi showroom 5 months ago, i make a sudden booking which I do not know why also.  That is how I left my Peugeot.

the injector failures are mainly bcos Euro cars are direct injection while Japs are port injection. direct injection is known to be more problematic. google for details.

as euro cars tend to have lots of electronic components, as long as no power loss, don't just rush to change anything. injectors are not cheap.

my alfa for the last 3 years got all sorts of errors. i've since learn to live with them. if anyone needs perfection, can stick with japs.

• Praise 1

My French connection started in Dec 2012 and ended in May 2016.  During this period, my French beauty - Pug 5008 THP gave me lots of fun and pleasure. The problem started within one month after collecting the car. It was the reverse sensor calibration and it took me 2 visits to get the Auto France - AF contractor to resolve the problem. After one year plus, the horror started, there was a clapping sound while driving and fearing that by stopping the car in the middle of the road, the car my not start again, I chose to stop at a petrol kiosk. And sure enough, it cannot restart. It was towed to AF and only collect it after 3 days due the weekend. Problem is with fuel injector. Then again, about 6 months later, I felt a loss of power out of the sudden when driving on the right lane of a three lane road. I had to signal to the left and fortunately, I was near AF workshop and  managed to drag and pull the car to the AF car park. Again, it was fuel injector. A few months passed, and then I got a shock when my fuel consumption nosedive, and I had to use my right foot to depress all the way to accelerate. I sent in the car again to AF. The adviser explained something to me but all these comments were not documented. Then again in the next month, I felt the same problem again with the acceleration, I quickly parked my car at my residence and called for tow. I was told that this time, my warranty has expired and I will be charged with the tow fee amounting $110 plus GST. I told them that I had paid for extended warranty upto 5 years but I was told that extended warranty at AF does not cover towing fee. No choice, pay and pay all the way. Worst thing came when I traded in for a Toyota Wish, the sales person told me 5008 is junk. Paper value plus a few thousands more. What more can I say? My next visit to the new car dealer was the most memorable as the 5008 broke down in front of the new car showroom. Imagine the agony and embarrassment I got. At the same time, I was totally calmed that this French beauty has been traded in. No more French beauty for me from that day onwards.

to be fair, most conti brands will have issues.

injectors by right should change all but AD will normally not recommend due to high cost.

its highly recommended to get some tow membership. i use AA and the membership of $88 per year is very worth it!

overall, i rate bmw and merc less likely to encounter issues short term. of cos long term, any car also will kena problems.

the injector failures are mainly bcos Euro cars are direct injection while Japs are port injection. direct injection is known to be more problematic. google for details.

as euro cars tend to have lots of electronic components, as long as no power loss, don't just rush to change anything. injectors are not cheap.

my alfa for the last 3 years got all sorts of errors. i've since learn to live with them. if anyone needs perfection, can stick with japs.

Ya, I also read about this injectors sometimes back, and therefore I request them to change all 4 for the first time.  However the Service Supervisor smoke me and telling me yes all changed, until my second injector failure within 1 month time, then they admitted they did not change all.

And the 3rd time they changed for me is, because the computer diagnostic and they service handbook ask them to do so.  They blindly do it.  Of course, AF pay all the cost including a replacement car for me.  

I do not understand why the injectors breakdown so fast, which I question them, but no answer given.  At that time I am thinking likely because my car manufacturing date was more than 1 year before I registered.

Ya, I also read about this injectors sometimes back, and therefore I request them to change all 4 for the first time.  However the Service Supervisor smoke me and telling me yes all changed, until my second injector failure within 1 month time, then they admitted they did not change all.

And the 3rd time they changed for me is, because the computer diagnostic and they service handbook ask them to do so.  They blindly do it.  Of course, AF pay all the cost including a replacement car for me.  

I do not understand why the injectors breakdown so fast, which I question them, but no answer given.  At that time I am thinking likely because my car manufacturing date was more than 1 year before I registered.

DI clog fuel systems and lead to engine carbon build up over time, thus damaging the injectors.

yr experience with AD is not much different from other conti AD. only advantage is they may have replacement car.

but more often, all they do is scan for errors and replace, which can be costly cos the scan can pick up all sorts of things.

it's pretty much the problem here as SG mechanics are more like fitters than troubleshooters. and it's even worse if u own a not so common conti cos u only have a few workshops to patronise.

there are some really good BMW Merc workshops. can't say for the rest, perhaps due to lack of competition

• Praise 1

A friend of mine worked as a mechanic for Renault, has warned me not to buy Renault.

• Praise 2

A friend of mine worked as a mechanic for Renault, has warned me not to buy Renault.

Why not? Renault and nissan share parts right?

Edited by Ody_2004