OPC Insurance

Kklee

If let's say an OPC got involved in an accident during the restricted hours without an e-Day License,  will there be insurance coverage ? 

↡ Advertisement

It is an offence to drive an OPC or ROPC car without a valid e-Day Licence. The driver or registered owner of the OPC or ROPC car who causes or permits the car to be driven during the restricted hours faces a fine not exceeding $5,000. For a second or subsequent convictions, he or she will face a fine not exceeding $10,000.” LTA 2016

(edited)

It is an offence to drive an OPC or ROPC car without a valid e-Day Licence. The driver or registered owner of the OPC or ROPC car who causes or permits the car to be driven during the restricted hours faces a fine not exceeding $5,000. For a second or subsequent convictions, he or she will face a fine not exceeding $10,000.” LTA 2016

That's the LTA part.

I am trying  to get information on the insurance part. 

E,g,  

If let's say an OPC and non-OPC got into an accident and the OPC is 100% at fault. 

Days later,   it was found that the OPC do not have a valid e-Day License.

LTA would of course blow whistle and fine the OPC.

What about insurance?  Will the OPC insurance company absolve itself ? 

Edited by Kklee

Have you check the insurance certificate whtr if they stated the coverage conditions?

Eh... i don't have OPC.

Check with the insurance company. I believe some will say they won't pay out if an offence is committed (which would include this I think).

Likely, if they can absolve, they most likely would. 

OPC owners can purchase e-Day license online at any time of the day within the same day of usage, before 2359hrs - no need to buy right at the instant when they drive the car out. So they can drive the car out at 9am, run their errands, then go online and purchase e-Day license at a later time within the same day of use, e.g. 5pm.

Even if they miss the deadline of 2359hrs, they can still pay at a later date but at a higher price of $30. Normal price is $20.

SOURCE: https://www.onemotoring.com.sg/content/onemotoring/en/lta_information_guidelines/latest_updates/off-peak_car.html

"For WEC/OPC/ROPC users who missed the payment deadline i.e. before 11.59 p.m. of the following day after usage date, are allowed to voluntarily declare the usage online via the ONE.MOTORING website. Upon successful acceptance of the declaration, a Notice of Traffic Offence (NTO) offering a composition amount of $30 will be sent to the driver for the violation. Please note that the declaration to LTA has to be made within Day 3 to Day 5 from the usage date, Day 1 being the usage date."

Note that for most policies, the yearly insurance bought remain the same, regardless of OPC or normal plate.

Edited by DACH

OPC owners can purchase e-Day license online at any time of the day within the same day of usage, before 2359hrs - no need to buy right at the instant when they drive the car out. So they can drive the car out at 9am, run their errands, then go online and purchase e-Day license at a later time within the same day of use, e.g. 5pm.

Even if they miss the deadline of 2359hrs, they can still pay at a later date but at a higher price of $30. Normal price is $20.

SOURCE: https://www.onemotoring.com.sg/content/onemotoring/en/lta_information_guidelines/latest_updates/off-peak_car.html

"For WEC/OPC/ROPC users who missed the payment deadline i.e. before 11.59 p.m. of the following day after usage date, are allowed to voluntarily declare the usage online via the ONE.MOTORING website. Upon successful acceptance of the declaration, a Notice of Traffic Offence (NTO) offering a composition amount of $30 will be sent to the driver for the violation. Please note that the declaration to LTA has to be made within Day 3 to Day 5 from the usage date, Day 1 being the usage date."

I wonder how they would enforce it. 

Note that for most policies, the yearly insurance bought remain the same, regardless of OPC or normal plate.

Maybe some OPC owners can verify that. 

If let's say an OPC got involved in an accident during the restricted hours without an e-Day License,  will there be insurance coverage ? 

i believe insurance will cover, the premium is the same for OPC and normal plate.

i believe insurance will cover, the premium is the same for OPC and normal plate.

I find quite funny how come the premium is the same for OPC and normal plate? Lol. Even road tax is not the same between OPC and normal plate.

I find quite funny how come the premium is the same for OPC and normal plate? Lol. Even road tax is not the same between OPC and normal plate.

an accident is an accident, doesn't mean compensation for accident with/cause by an OPC will be cheaper.

OPC premium ard 15% cheaper than normal plate

Yeah I can confirm this, my uncle whom has an OPC said it too

Does low mileage reduce OPC insurance cost if declared at time of purchase of OPC insurance?