Help! Appeal careless driving offence?

DorisChin

Hubby was driving my car. Received call from TP suddenly saying that there was a hit-and-run by my car. Finally found out that the "hit-and-run" was when hubby came out of parking lot and accidently hit the side of another car, causing the other car bumper to fall off.

He was not aware that he had hit the other car. My car camera showed that his exit from parking lot was smooth and there was no sudden stop by my car. He also did not exit the car to check or anything like that.

My car (Merc) showed some paint on the back passenger (right side) door. Upon some washing, all was removed and only a tiny small pen hole dent as found.

Hubby then received a notice of offence from TP. 2 offences - careless driving ($200 + 6 points) and $200 for failing to stop after accident.

Hubby said to just pay up and close case. But I feel its rather unfair and he should appeal. Any advice? 

↡ Advertisement

Twincharged

true ... nothing to appeal ... although it might have been an accident but accident is still accident ... just pay the fine and then you still have to settle with the other party's insurance company. you will be lucky if you can settle privately else next year insurance premium will shoot up !

$200 + 6 points is for careless driving - that is a fact.

but you can try to appeal for the failing to stop part ...

The other party is trying to be really funny, called my hubby and started recording conversation. Then started harrassing him by calling again and again. Sigh. Refused to settle. So will have to claim against insurance. 

Understand that he was careless, but it's really an accident. I am sure that other's would have accidently hit other cars, but not sure why TP must issue "careless driving offence". He has an okay driving record. 

The other party is trying to be really funny, called my hubby and started recording conversation. Then started harrassing him by calling again and again. Sigh. Refused to settle. So will have to claim against insurance. 

Understand that he was careless, but it's really an accident. I am sure that other's would have accidently hit other cars, but not sure why TP must issue "careless driving offence". He has an okay driving record. 

There is nothing to talk, no talk no record. Claim insurance, simple as that. 

If you want to private settle, be prepared to pay a price. No such thing as private settle and get away with paying a token. 

First, check with your hubby, is he telling you everything or is he fully aware of what happened but not telling the whole thing? You do know that it is not easy to hit a car in the carpark until the bumper drop off right? And you do know that if you hit a car until a bumper drop, it cannot go unnoticed right?

Do you really think that TP will issue a summon without investigation? 

He has a ok record does not automatically means he wont make mistake, he just didnt have a record.

how many accidents happened on the road because of carelessness? 

• Praise 7

i did talk to my hubby but he said he really did not feel anything or hear anything. The other party picture shows that his car bumper did fall off but my car shows no injury at all. 

Looking at the other car, the bumper looks modified. My reporting centre told me that the other driver is pissed off because insurance will not help to repair the modified part, just replace with original bumper. 

And the other car bumper really looks very fragile type, only has 2 hooks. 

Well, if everyone says so, I guess it's better to just pay and forget about the case. Anyway, my hubby  was planning to pay it off.

(edited)

Unfortunately the other party a bit "cukoo", refuse to settle, must claim insurance. Also trying to record incriminating evidence, so we give up on him liao.

Lucky I have NCB protector. Not sure how my insurance will respond to him, unless he got car camera. According to TP, there is no camera at the area where the accident happened.

I know that he is not happy about accident. But really, it's not like purposely hit him.  

Honestly, my hubby say he was not aware until TP call him. I guess his car workmanship too poor when he do the modification. Like toufu, one small hit at the side and entire bumper fall off.

Edited by DorisChin

i did talk to my hubby but he said he really did not feel anything or hear anything. The other party picture shows that his car bumper did fall off but my car shows no injury at all. 

Looking at the other car, the bumper looks modified. My reporting centre told me that the other driver is pissed off because insurance will not help to repair the modified part, just replace with original bumper. 

And the other car bumper really looks very fragile type, only has 2 hooks. 

Well, if everyone says so, I guess it's better to just pay and forget about the case. Anyway, my hubby  was planning to pay it off.

If you want to private settle, obviously he will want it back before it got hit. Put yourself in his shoes, if you are hit and the other party tell you its nothing just do some touch up, will you be happy? At the very least you have to bring the car to your workshop, get it fix and pay for it right? 

simplest form is to claim insurance, thats why we buy insurance isnt it? Once you decide to claim insurance, just leave it to them to sort it out, it becomes between him and the insurance company, modified or original has nothing to do with you anymore. 

Claim insurance, pay the TP fine, record the demerit points, and move on lor, part of driving in SG. 

Just be aware that premium may increase next year. 

• Praise 1

Unfortunately the other party a bit "cukoo", refuse to settle, must claim insurance. Also trying to record incriminating evidence, so we give up on him liao.

Lucky I have NCB protector. Not sure how my insurance will respond to him, unless he got car camera. According to TP, there is no camera at the area where the accident happened.

I know that he is not happy about accident. But really, it's not like purposely hit him.

Honestly, my hubby say he was not aware until TP call him. I guess his car workmanship too poor when he do the modification. Like toufu, one small hit at the side and entire bumper fall off.

let the insurance handle the claim, if your insurance is good enough, ask them for the list to see if the claim amount is reasonable.

(edited)

The problem with the other driver is he refuse to settle privately, i will ask the insurance whether we can foot the amount and close case.. from what i know, the repair to bumper should be only a few hundred, up to 1K.

My hubby really suay to encounter this kind of person. 

Actually my hubby offered to foot the repair bill, not touch up only but ask him to go for estimate at repair centre and let him know the amount. So really why have to do until like this..  so vengeful.

Even keep trying to scare my husband by saying things like this is hit-and-run, you can go to jail blah blah.

Edited by DorisChin

Actually if he want his mod bumper, just have to tell us the $ and we will try to settle, because probably TP will also not keep charges if we can settle privately.

But this guy wanna both sides lose-lose.. well too bad for him if he does not get back his mod bumper.

Hubby was driving my car. Received call from TP suddenly saying that there was a hit-and-run by my car. Finally found out that the "hit-and-run" was when hubby came out of parking lot and accidently hit the side of another car, causing the other car bumper to fall off.

He was not aware that he had hit the other car. My car camera showed that his exit from parking lot was smooth and there was no sudden stop by my car. He also did not exit the car to check or anything like that.

My car (Merc) showed some paint on the back passenger (right side) door. Upon some washing, all was removed and only a tiny small pen hole dent as found.

Hubby then received a notice of offence from TP. 2 offences - careless driving ($200 + 6 points) and $200 for failing to stop after accident.

Hubby said to just pay up and close case. But I feel its rather unfair and he should appeal. Any advice? 

Should get a lawyer and fight back. Say his modified bumper was too wide and not installed correctly. Fact that he has bumper clips installed, his bumper is flimsy & prone to being dislodged easily. These types of clips right?

post-35926-0-22981500-1508030876_thumb.jpg

When someone points a gun at you, you take the gun and point back at them. [sly]

Twincharged

The problem with the other driver is he refuse to settle privately, i will ask the insurance whether we can foot the amount and close case.. from what i know, the repair to bumper should be only a few hundred, up to 1K.

My hubby really suay to encounter this kind of person. 

Actually my hubby offered to foot the repair bill, not touch up only but ask him to go for estimate at repair centre and let him know the amount. So really why have to do until like this..  so vengeful.

Even keep trying to scare my husband by saying things like this is hit-and-run, you can go to jail blah blah.

my door was hit last time ... the w/s say will try to claim from ins but if cannot then then they will charge me $1k for the door replacement.

so after the court process, ins was approve at 50/50 ... and i was shocked when i saw the bill from the workshop - $10k ...but claimed from ins.

nevertheless, my premiums doubled up upon the next renewal.

**meaning, if you think the repair is only $1k, think again ...  the owner still have to take time to send for repairs and also have to make do with the downtime ....etc... its not all about the repair only.

but since no injury, there should be no jail time ... so dont worry.

Edited by Ysc3

There is nothing to talk, no talk no record. Claim insurance, simple as that.

If you want to private settle, be prepared to pay a price. No such thing as private settle and get away with paying a token.

First, check with your hubby, is he telling you everything or is he fully aware of what happened but not telling the whole thing? You do know that it is not easy to hit a car in the carpark until the bumper drop off right? And you do know that if you hit a car until a bumper drop, it cannot go unnoticed right?

Do you really think that TP will issue a summon without investigation?

He has a ok record does not automatically means he wont make mistake, he just didnt have a record.

how many accidents happened on the road because of carelessness?

Well said...

While i can appreciate TS's love for her hubby...to seek advice from mcf, I too, can understand the frustration from the other car's owner...

If the other party is not willing to discuss PS, just let him do what he desire...claim insurance lor...dont forget to say sorry if there is a chance.

In most cases, admiring a mistake sincerely opens the doors to discussion.

I was reared begining of this year. The other driver was a mother rushing to send kids to school. 1st thing she said to me..."so sorry, I couldnt stopped in time...are you okay". I checked back bumper, slight scratches, exchanged some details, drive on. Later we communicated via texts. I told her left some marks/scratches...no need to repair and I moved on...She text back and say thank you...

Frankly, we need some grace in our society. Too often, we want to avoid responsibility...anyway, drive with care...

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 7