2014 Harrier CVT Gearbox change to Harrier Turbo gearbox

LancerJay

Dear all, I am thinking of Harrier 2014 CVT Gearbox change to harrier Turbo gearbox. I know it sounds ridiculous but with all due respect will it make any difference? If so just let's discuss here.

↡ Advertisement

Notwithstanding if it is gonna make any difference, is it physically or financially feasible?

2014 Toyota Harrier is NA engine with CVT tranny?

You are thinking of changing to the eight speed tranny paired with a turbo engine?

What kind of harebrained idea is this?

• Praise 4
  • Dislike 1

Dear all, I am thinking of Harrier 2014 CVT Gearbox change to harrier Turbo gearbox. I know it sounds ridiculous but with all due respect will it make any difference? If so just let's discuss here.

In SG, your parallel import car is almost not possible. Your ECU will not recognise another gearbox. It must be re-configure again with new identity to the new gearbox.

In contrary to this, the NA engine is not tune to meet 8 speed gearbox. It will run null on engine load. Heavy fuel consumption. Change your car is the best way

• Praise 1

Dun waste time thinking about these type of schemes..... 

Either go and book a new car or spend the time and brain cells with family

• Praise 1
  • Dislike 1

what are u trying to achieve here?

LOL, thank you for the sharing,

I figured out its impossible and not worth it, I came across a replacement ad for the existing CVT gearbox replacement for $4000, I was thinking that my harrier gearbox is having some signs of failure, thus thinking of swapping for a exact dimension gearbox, could be the 8 speed version, or any compactable gearbox with a high efficiency transmission.

Much like the Aisin gearbox in Peugeot 3008, or the DSG wet-clutch used in the higher end models of VW, i love those gearbox robustness and great driving feel, forgive me I design DIY gaming computers, I mix parts and optimise the performance of any PC/laptop possible, I look at the car as a chassis, engine and gearbox combination.

My objective is to go beyond a simple thought process like what if it's even possible? could I achieve

1) better fuel economy from 16KM/L to 18KM/L ( on paper )

2) better respond like the VW DSG Fun driving factor

3) more robust gearbox for the harrier

I have meet friends who swapped engine for their BMW from 2.5L to 3L and did a ECU remap,

I also have friend who managed to change the auto gearbox for their 2 litre civic to 6 speed Manual, thus I believe there is always a possibility.

i love to hear from modding community who has done this in depth research and knows about their stuff, search some YouTube videos and will find incredible improvements to existing design ( electric Beatle anyone )

I believe innovative R&D that can be introduced to the commucinity here as a whole folks!! Just my 2 cents.

Can your find a reliable workshop to do the swap & coding?

Unlike PC, once you crash ECU during coding, it will cost a lot of $$$$$.

With ever expensive cost of car ownership, the spirit of mod has lost over time.

For BMW engine swap, it is usually involves COE car.  There are good guys who are very familiar with the swap.

To achieve better FC, it means reduce the car weight.  It is easier to strip the car to barebone to achieve that.

I don't think DSG is fun except during upshift.

Aisin TC AT is quite robust as it is used in BMW Group FWD vehicle.

The ecu tuned for the turbo engine will not match the NA engine. It's not that simple as in swapping hardware. You also got to think of software. Nothing much to discuss. Period.

For higher end driving enthusiasts car like a porche, conversion from auto to manual is maybe still worth the money and effort.

Harrier CVT to Harrier AT? Save the money for the next car change. 

For higher end driving enthusiasts car like a porche, conversion from auto to manual is maybe still worth the money and effort.

Harrier CVT to Harrier AT? Save the money for the next car change. 

That's only possible for cars before Y2K (i think).  Even MT porky has electronic blip.