G plate into Malaysia: technical issues

FurionLfg

Will the insurance company cover the modification and additional liability?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Hi, my Husband got a Hiace van...is it possible to install those proper seats with seat belts behind n pass LTA checking? N drive into MY by registering the VEP...the van is registered under sole proprietorship company...thanks all for the advise..

Your answer is here:

https://www.mycarforum.com/topic/2633240-vans-with-sofa-seats-behind/

In short, the answer is NO.

Now the inspectors all smart liao. Even unbolted sofa they will ask you to "unload" your sofa 1st before sending to them for inspection.

(edited)

GG. The cat is out of the bag. Now all the G-plate vehicles are going to drive into Malaysia.

The reason Malaysia have such a regulation on Singapore commercial vehicles is to protect their transportation industry.

http://www.kln.gov.my/web/sgp_singapore/faqs

The reason why Singapore government allows this "unfair" treatment is to make it less attractive to buy commercial vehicle for personal use.

If all the Singapore G-plates start going in, both Malaysia and Singapore government are going to clamp down hard.... Malaysia to protect their transport industry, Singapore to prevent "abuse" of commercial vehicles..... 

Previously only the Land Rover owners taking advantage of this loophole, register as G plate commercial, pay less tax, still get to drive into Malaysia for leisure. If owning a business, can deduct all expenses.

Now more and more van owners catch on to this practice, GG for all.

Edited by JimmySanchez
  • Praise 2

So... only G plate Defenders can take advantage, other G plates cannot?

GG. The cat is out of the bag. Now all the G-plate vehicles are going to drive into Malaysia.

The reason Malaysia have such a regulation on Singapore commercial vehicles is to protect their transportation industry.

The reason why Singapore government allows this "unfair" treatment is to make it less attractive to buy commercial vehicle for personal use.

If all the Singapore G-plates start going in, both Malaysia and Singapore government are going to clamp down hard.... Malaysia to protect their transport industry, Singapore to prevent "abuse" of commercial vehicles..... 

Previously only the Land Rover owners taking advantage of this loophole, register as G plate commercial, pay less tax, still get to drive into Malaysia for leisure. If owning a business, can deduct all expenses.

Because defender don’t look lorry pickup van bus

People thought is car

All along u need to have a registered business in Msia to drive a commercial vehicle in, like my fren who r able to drive his isuzu dmax in cos he had a jv company in KL, so what loophole r we talking abt here?

Also, it's only logical commercial vehicle r not allow into msia cos i think most will be doing it for leisure rather for business purpose, can u imagine the humongous jam at both causeway cos we do have plenty of commercial vehicles in sg.

Hi bro, i think you are out of topic. Nobody here is planning to start a logistics company and make money by doing deliveries between Malaysia and Singapore. We just want to have a good time at malaysia (visiting tourist places like temples etc). It’s simply because we can’t afford to get another car. And why we don’t prefer rental? Simple, nobody wants to spend money

Hi, my Husband got a Hiace van...is it possible to install those proper seats with seat belts behind n pass LTA checking? N drive into MY by registering the VEP...the van is registered under sole proprietorship company...thanks all for the advise..

It’s impossible unless you buy a Brand New Van and register under Goods Cum Passenger Category (Still a G plate) But your ARF(Additional Reg Fee) will be as high as private cars. So it’s basically useless to do that. But by all means, you can install but before inspection remove them. Nobody is being strict on this. But we cannot blame LTA on this. If they make it legal, it will be unfair for those private car owners paying high ARF whereby those G plate ARF is only 1k+ and we have our road tax being so damn cheap.

Defenders, Mercedes Vans, Starex, Double cab pick up trucks and some other vans can take advantage. But for Hiace, Urvans NV200 NV350 I can’t say much because there are very clearly to be commercial vehicles.

GG everybody. GG.

Neutral Newbie

@thiq_ hi bro I know this is a pre-covid thread and things may have changed a lot. Just wondering if you still have been driving your vito into Malaysia recently (since border opened) and how does that differ before covid? 

I also own a vito that doesn't look like a van except that it comes with a g plate, so just wanna get more insights from you before trying to bring my kids over to Malaysia in our "camper" van. 

Thanks if you're still active here in this forum. 🙏

Edited by Xcfufu

Neutral Newbie
On 4/1/2019 at 4:02 AM, thiq_ said:

Hi guys, i contacted ICA, They say g plate vehicle carrying only passengers can drive through the bus lane. I’ve also registered my G plate under Private Category for Malaysian VEP. So i called JPJ regarding this they told me that i can drive through their normal motorcar lane and there will be no issues. Also better if you don’t bring along any goods. According the to the High Comm of msia, the g plate vehicles need to be registered only if it used for commericial purposes and they state it as only BUSES AND HEAVY GOOD VEHICLES need to be registered. In this case, i think light goods vehicle like van shouldn’t be a problem. I’m planning a trip down to KL with my van soon. Kindly share your exp driving g plate into msia. Thanks!

@thiq_ Hi bro, sorry for digging up old tread, but are you still active? I noticed you mentioned the G plate is registered under private for Malaysian VEP. If we do that, does that mean that we cannot register with JPJ to be used for commercial purposes? At the moment, based on what I understand, the following can be done:-

1. Option 1 - Follow your method. G Plate but register VEP under private. If it doesn't look like panel van/ truck then should be safe. But they can still disturb you.

2. Option 2 - Register company in SG and MY. Register with JPJ and get Malaysian road tax. But this option, they have the right to charge Goods Vehicle Levy everytime you leave Malaysia. RM200. Its pretty hefty.

Option 1 is really like hiong lo. everytime. Option 2 is legal, safe but the Levy is damn fierce.  Is my understanding correct? Thanks guys. 

Neutral Newbie

Hi, after seeing so many comments here, i think there's still a question mark on my head 😅

Btw, I'm driving a Toyota Hiace Petrol 2.0A G-plate.

What i've done so far, 

1) Applied VEP 

2) Got approval letter from JPJ to enter Malaysia as private vehicle, no commercial usage. 

What I've question about:

1) As my van stated 1 driver + 1 passenger, but not sure will the ICA officer stop me or fine me if i fetch more than 1 passenger ? 

2) I heard someone mentioned that have to empty the goods behind but what about equipment ? I have equipments, ladders and other small stuff. do i need to empty them as well? 

Neutral Newbie

@Kennyback I have applied VEP, but they do not allow me to apply as private vehicle as the LTA Log Card is commercial. So now I'm registered under commercial for VEP but they have don't any RFID tags as yet

↡ Advertisement