Are We Ready for Electric Car, Safety & Environmental Aspect

Carbon82

On 11/28/2019 at 12:12 AM, Ct3833 said:

This one old news,  cant remember if I have posted this before, happened in Mar 2018 in bangkok, Porsche caught fire while charging. The land size of the bungalow is about 10,000 sqft. Luckily it did not get burned down completely. I dont wish it will happen here but let's see what the authority will do if a Blue SG car catch fire

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1429518/porsche-catches-fire-while-charging

Whole mcsp on fire, 
Everybody thanks blue car for new car new coe

Mcsp get fresh repair and paint 

insurance company hehe

blue car cry

• Haha! 3

Supercharged

MOT may review 2040 target for all vehicles in Singapore to be low emission: Ong Ye Kung

The Government will introduce the electric vehicle Early Adoption Incentive (EEAI), where those who buy fully electric cars and taxis will receive a rebate of up to 45 per cent on the Addition Registration Fee, said Mr Heng in February. Such a rebate is capped at S$20,000.

The Land Transport Authority (LTA) said the initiative will run from Jan 1, 2021 to Jan 31, 2023 and will cost the Government about S$71 million over the next three years.

In a written answer to Parliament in October, Mr Ong said 28,000 public charging points would amount to a ratio of eight cars per charging point, which is “not ideal”. 

He told CNA on Friday that the country should be working toward a minimum ratio of five cars to one charging point.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/singapore-2040-target-internal-combustion-engine-13757550

Supercharged

“To get it off the ground, it’s easier to start with overnight charging, slower charging – lower voltage or lower power rating. You only need 3.57 kilowatts, you can start, and many places have enough capacity to support it,” said Mr Ong.

For a Nissan Leaf with 40kWh battery, a 3.57kW charging point is going to take about 11hrs to fill up its battery from zero to full. [sleeping]  Will the next EV looking for a charging point be able to see how much longer this Leaf is going to occupy the slot? Or is Leaf allowed to to continue to occupy the charging lot even after the battery is fully charged? Seems like still have many details yet to be ironed out.

SP Power have 50kw charging point.  For Nissan leaf, that would be about 60 -75 mins to full.

Currently, SP Power charges is 47.25cents/kwh.  That would mean $18.90 for full charge from 0 (which is unlikely).

Based on EPA range of 240km, that means 7.9 cents/km.

Hybrid-Electric car maybe the car of the future, as of now, I'm one of those motorists not so ready to be E/ H car usage, partly being the infrastructure support by relevant authority are limited and costly, while it may be greatly enhanced Singapore position as green based and environmental friendly, it will go a long way to convert many of us of it advantage and some work needs to be done of charging electric car whereby 80% of motorists are staying in HDB MSCP - The infrastructure of tapping into solar cell later at some HDB roof-top will not be sufficient to cater to the majority of motorists, the cost structure would be massive on top of season car park yet to be factored in.

The mere look of SGBlue car charging point took much space alone in selected lots, by then the MSCP would be modified or few 2/3 storey strictly cater to E/H cars with charging points facilities installed, Im not adding condo car park as it is a private property.

Last, the car battery pack looks heavy laden weight, my guess is the sustainability and warranty period of usage go such battery stored in the car, we have to look into Korean brand Taxi as a study case scenario . . .[drivingcar]to compare with normal car on the road.( strength v breakdown and after sale service, cost and repair etc

Supercharged

Commentary: Electric vehicles in Singapore – how much is just hype?

1. First, we need a dedicated certificate of entitlement (COE) category for EVs and plug-in hybrid vehicles. This will help EV charging infrastructure companies time their infrastructure deployment, and car traders pace their sales and availability of models. If this review happens, then the pulse of the transformation can be felt directly from the uptake of COEs in this category.
  2. ...need to open multiple apps to figure out where the chargers are in the carpark, if there are any...a single integrated platform that allows access to all providers with their own business model still intact will make life easier for the consumer.
  3. I believe the tipping point will be the battery warranty. When that period coincides with the 10-year COE, the risks associated with batteries - the most costly component - will shift to the car-maker and consumers will start diving in.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/commentary/electric-vehicle-car-tesla-stock-charging-coe-transport-carbon-13855206

Supercharged

Btw, does EV owners get a discount when they send their car in for periodic inspection? (No emission test required)  😁

• Haha! 3

Imagine if the bus is fully loaded with passenger and stucked in jam on Orchard Road or PIE... 

I would say battery technology is not fully mature yet at this moment, but all manufacturers are rushing to put EVs on the road... Never say never. 

• Praise 4

BMW i4 And iX Owners Being Told To Park Outside, Not Charge Or Drive Them Due To Fire Risk

BMW-i4-and-iX-1024x555.webp

A handful of BMW i4s and iXs have magically turned into paperweights as 83 different vehicles are being recalled over a fire risk.

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 56 iX xDrive50 and iX M60 crossovers as well as 27 i4 eDrive40 and i4 M50 hatchbacks were “manufactured with a high voltage battery that may not have been produced by the supplier according to specifications.”

As the government explained, when the battery cells were being built, their cathode plate may have been damaged. If this occurred, it could have allowed pieces of debris to enter the battery cell. This could cause a short-circuit and result in a “thermal event.”

The batteries were made by Samsung and BMW became aware of the issue on April 16th after a “non-US field incident” involving a 2022 i4 eDrive40. This kicked off an investigation, which suggested problems in the manufacturing process of the battery cell.

Later, there was an incident in the United States involving a 2022 iX xDrive50. It was followed by another incident involving a 2022 iX M60 overseas. This led BMW to conduct a voluntary safety recall, and thankfully the automaker isn’t aware of any accidents or injuries related to the issue.

The fix requires affected batteries to be replaced and owners are being instructed not to drive or charge their vehicles as well as to park them outside and away from structures. Owners will be contacted by phone and the company will also send out notification letters on September 19th.

• Praise 5
  • Shocked 2

42 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

My simplistic view on why people buy EV:

1. Save $$$$ vs an equivalent priced ICE car.
  2. Save $$$$ vs an equivalent priced ICE car.
  3. Save $$$$ vs an equivalent priced ICE car.

Why people think twice/thrice on buying EV:

1. Hardly any savings/worse.. more expensive over an equivalent ICE car. It does not help that average singapore mileage is 1100 km per month according to Carro. So petrol cost is just a small fraction on the total cost of car ownership.
  2. Infrastructure not ready for most HDB/Condo dwellers - Therefore it's a downgrade on convenience
  3. Driving into Malaysia for road trips will be a challenge.

Need to convene a study to see why meh? They should have come into MCF and study real car owners! Not scholars and people who don't own cars/drive.

I wonder why there is little or limited participation from drivers & car owners on this. Because they know what we will say and they have no solution, for now.🤣

Edited by Rickster
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 2

1 minute ago, Rickster said:

My simplistic view on why people buy EV:

1. Save $$$$ vs an equivalent priced ICE car.
  2. Save $$$$ vs an equivalent priced ICE car.
  3. Save $$$$ vs an equivalent priced ICE car.

Why people think twice/thrice on buying EV:

1. Hardly any savings/worse.. more expensive over an equivalent ICE car.
  2. Infrastructure not ready for most HDB/Condo dwellers - Therefore it's a downgrade on convenience
  3. Driving into Malaysia for road trips will be a challenge.

Need to convene a study to see why meh? They should have come into MCF and study real car owners! Not scholars and people who don't own cars/drive.

I wonder why there is little or limited participation from drivers & car owners on this. Because they know what we will say and they have no solution, for now.🤣

In MCF, most ppl (incl me) talk until got dragon got phoenix.

Tell them to give feedback. Don’t know go where.

1 of the biggest advantage of EV is able to switch on air cond while waiting for OC.

ICE car will tio fine if spotted by CB ppl.

I like charging facility in shopping mall as it allows me to charge car & me concurrently.

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 4

13 hours ago, Ct3833 said:

Need to study one meh?

Biggest hindrance is government itself lah. Want to push EV? So simple,

1. All COEs for EVs are 20 years instead of 10 years

2. All COEs for EVs will be 50% of their ICE equivalents in both CAT A & B

3. Removal of AFC on top of road tax for EVs

4. Road tax of all EVs to be 50% of current levels

5. One time offer for all private and commercial owners of ICE vehicles to switch to BEV, with 1st 3 years of road tax waived for private owners, 1st 5 years free for commercial businesses

But No.1 to 5 will all be rejected outright. Hurting the coffers in a very big way la, cannot. Lawrence Wong already said MOF no money already 🤣

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 5