Game Over: LTA cuts vehicle growth rate to 0

flashbang

9 hours ago, Turboflat4 said:

I find this measure highly confusing. 

"Travel demand patterns"? How much can road utilisation possibly increase in the near future? WFH will likely be a thing for at least another year, and all it takes is another big cluster to cause another huge dip in road use.

And while they may be enforcing a support level on COE prices, whom does that really benefit apart from the gahmen themselves? Aren't they at risk of deepening the chill on the economy by doing this? 

The satellite erp at full capacity?🤭

Zero growth? 

Are they going to have zero erp?😆

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1

11 minutes ago, Kopites said:

The satellite erp at full capacity?🤭

Zero growth? 

Are they going to have zero erp?😆

Oh ya satellite erp.. Actually if not because of covid-19. Think around this time is when we start to go exchange for the new IU for satellite erp correct? 

Now with this covid-19, don't know whether government will still want to go ahead of implementing satellite erp later or put on hold permanently. Coz government focus now is to help save the economy and save as many jobs as possible. This satellite erp does not do both of these. So can forsee it will not be implemented anytime soon at least until economy recover. 

Edited by Yewheng

The land transport policy has always been to push for public transport. I would not be surprised if the vehicle population growth becomes negative after more MRT and LRT lines open up and smaller bus operators are allowed to operate the feeder and express services. 

I believe the satellite ERP will be pushed back by another 1-2 years in view of budget deficit this year and possibly next year.

Turbocharged

if there's a difference in buying flats between citizens, PRs and foreigners (foreigners cannot), why is there no difference in buying cars?

it's not the wishes of Singaporeans to jam up the roads, and it's certainly not the wishes of us to pump up the population

to make it fairer, PRs and foreigners who wish to buy cars here and contribute to the congestion should pay extra

Edited by Scion
  • Praise 6

31 minutes ago, Yewheng said:

Oh ya satellite erp.. Actually if not because of covid-19. Think around this time is when we start to go exchange for the new IU for satellite erp correct? 

Now with this covid-19, don't know whether government will still want to go ahead of implementing satellite erp later or put on hold permanently. Coz government focus now is to help save the economy and save as many jobs as possible. This satellite erp does not do both of these. So can forsee it will not be implemented anytime soon at least until economy recover. 

By then, new technology emerge, must do the POC all over again?

• Haha! 1

46 minutes ago, Scion said:

to make it fairer, PRs and foreigners who wish to buy cars here and contribute to the congestion should pay extra

Most of them lease anyway. Or if they can overcome our COE tax, how much extra would hurt them?

58 minutes ago, awhtc said:

The land transport policy has always been to push for public transport. I would not be surprised if the vehicle population growth becomes negative after more MRT and LRT lines open up and smaller bus operators are allowed to operate the feeder and express services. 

I believe the satellite ERP will be pushed back by another 1-2 years in view of budget deficit this year and possibly next year.

I am surprised with holding on to Zero Growth rate.

With the increase in car population, i expected a NEGATIVE growth.

• Haha! 1

1 hour ago, inlinesix said:

I am surprised with holding on to Zero Growth rate.

With the increase in car population, i expected a NEGATIVE growth.

"will extend the validity of the current vehicle growth rate" meaning for now they waiting for the situation (COVIT) to stablise first and will review it again since the next one year, the data likely to be distorted .

• Praise 1

Twincharged
5 hours ago, awhtc said:

cant wait for satellite ERP to be a failure.... waiting to laugh in LTA face.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

6 hours ago, Mkl22 said:

cant wait for satellite ERP to be a failure.... waiting to laugh in LTA face.

It wont just be a failure but expensive failure. All our millions of dollars in road tax erp coe thrown down black hole just so some minister can "accomplish" something

On 8/14/2020 at 8:29 PM, yishunite said:

It wont just be a failure but expensive failure. All our millions of dollars in road tax erp coe thrown down black hole just so some minister can "accomplish" something

not really leh.. there is always musical chair. 

So one persons directive may change after another person take over

As in the case of change of transport minister. What new initiative will be push any only happen after the next election.

Edited by Sdf4786k

Supercharged
8 minutes ago, mikk123 said:

i absolute agree.... foreign rich tycoons competing with average Singaporean salary worker for COE? That is an unfair system. 

In a capitalist society it is perfectly normal for luxury goods like Hermes and cars and COE to be only for those who can afford.

You prefer communist style?

On 8/14/2020 at 10:06 AM, Dafansu said:

"will extend the validity of the current vehicle growth rate" meaning for now they waiting for the situation (COVIT) to stablise first and will review it again since the next one year, the data likely to be distorted .

They will have excuse for almost every money collection approach they do , but out it that way, if they will to review, the likely outcome will be zero if not negative growth  , unlikely to increase car population. 

On 8/13/2020 at 11:34 PM, Turboflat4 said:

But with WFH and social distancing etc., demand for road utilisation would be low even if there weren't such strict curbs on ownership. People would just be parking more. 

Roads already crowded nowadays, almost back to normal. Almost everyone is back to work in office, only left public service or govt linked workplaces still extra ks continue WFH.

36 minutes ago, mikk123 said:

Hermes is luxury good i agree, but is car a luxury good? only in Singapore. Car is essentially a transportation tool, it serves the needs of a family, especially you have babies and elderly parents. 

Hermes is no different with mass market handbag out here, it is just more expensive. A $10 bag can also hold a packet of tissue paper and water bottle. Is there a cheaper alternative to car?  is bus a alternative to car? have you tired to board a bus or mrt with a baby and all the stuff come with it? 

it is time to relook at the car policy in Singapore. 

car is essential in singapore? singapore got so big like msia where no public transport can reach?

8 minutes ago, Jman888 said:

car is essential in singapore? singapore got so big like msia where no public transport can reach?

Think people mindset is public transport must reach very near to the place they go, if need to make a few bus transfers, no MRT there or need to walk some distance after getting off from bus/MRT means 'no public transport' can reach. Lol. Thats why car is essential if you can afford it.

50 minutes ago, mikk123 said:

Hermes is luxury good i agree, but is car a luxury good? only in Singapore. Car is essentially a transportation tool, it serves the needs of a family, especially you have babies and elderly parents. 

Hermes is no different with mass market handbag out here, it is just more expensive. A $10 bag can also hold a packet of tissue paper and water bottle. Is there a cheaper alternative to car?  is bus a alternative to car? have you tired to board a bus or mrt with a baby and all the stuff come with it? 

it is time to relook at the car policy in Singapore. 

This is the mistake made by a lot of young parents.

When your toddler is less than 3 years old, your routine has to change following the toddler.

It is NOT the other way round.

15 minutes ago, Jman888 said:

Singapore problem is caused by MONEY MINDED government.

Public transport has to be implemented before ppl start moving into new estate.

In Singapore, it is the other way round.  Just look at Punggol in early 2k.

In addition, it is also due to bad connectivity within each estate as spoke & hub model was used.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2