Getting a foreign wife

Philipkee

No lah.  There was a discussion on Hainan Island thread previously.  I remember some of you  mah. I know @uncle2 and @picnic06-biante15 are hainanese too.  I'm not 100% sure about Jman888, Ender or meanmachine I think they are too. 

Yes, 100% hainanese here. For my family, I am likely the last generation who can speak the dialect. My children all cannot.  [laugh]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

All the soo kees coming out ..

I dunno about hokkien ...any purebloods here ??

I asked my colleagues here ... how do they say "sun" in hokkien ?

they will say "jit tao" literally translated to mandarin is "æ¥å¤´â?

but in mandarin, its "tai yang 太é³".

in Hainan its "tai yang" also ... but here in SG my family says "jit tao" also.

Cantonese is similar "tai yong".

Cantonese- tai yong - sun, Yat tow- can denote sun or mid day/ afternoon..

Twincharged

hard lah, come to our generation very difficult to have same dialect group marriage liao  [sweatdrop]

one of my considerations ... since I am not hot property, I can still slowly decide what I wanted, so in the end, plucked up my courage and approached a small hainanese matchmaking company and then settled down and had my hainanese (dialect) son.

and so far, never encountered any of the negative behaviors that made PRC look bad ... even when I went Hainan. my wife's family is pretty average, living in the town ... some times I feel bad for not being able to give her the luxuries in life also.

BTW, I still have my own relatives there also.

• Praise 3

Twincharged

Actually, while many people like to believe the dialects in China retained mostly original, the fact is they have been heavily Mandarin-influenced in the past 2 generations. This is the same with most dialects, including Cantonese in Canton, they use a lot of Mandarin words instead of original dialect words. Even in Taiwan, it is also common use Mandarin words in Hokkien.

The major difference is that in Singapore / Malaysia, we borrow less Mandarin words, more foreign words. Even our Mandarin has been dialect-influenced until recently.

my wife was quite stumped when I mentioned words like loti(roti)"bread" and balu (baru)"just" ..

but her relatives who were residing in Indonesia understood me straightaway and that was also an ice breaker for me and her Indonesian relatives.

SG Chinese is greatly influenced by MY and that's why we have our own "language" here too ! [laugh]

I dunno about hokkien ...any purebloods here ??

I asked my colleagues here ... how do they say "sun" in hokkien ?

they will say "jit tao" literally translated to mandarin is "日头“?

but in mandarin, its "tai yang 太阳".

in Hainan its "tai yang" also ... but here in SG my family says "jit tao" also.

Cantonese is similar "tai yong".

We vampires say "Jia Lat"  [dead]

Twincharged

All the soo kees coming out ..

Cantonese- tai yong - sun, Yat tow- can denote sun or mid day/ afternoon..

frankly, I don't get the thing about "soo-kees" ...

I mean it translates to neighbours ... but the "word" never appeared in my dictionary until other dialect groups brought it up.

the hainanese seem to have a lot of relatives back in china. how come ar? lol somehow all the teochew/hokkiens etc all seem to be quite separated from their cousins or distant cousins in china.

frankly, I don't get the thing about "soo-kees" ...

I mean it translates to neighbours ... but the "word" never appeared in my dictionary until other dialect groups brought it up.

Lol.. me too.. me thinks they probably referring to Hainanese staying all in one place (in the past) around Bugis, purvis street area.. all in the neighbourhood and tightly knitted..

Twincharged

the hainanese seem to have a lot of relatives back in china. how come ar? lol somehow all the teochew/hokkiens etc all seem to be quite separated from their cousins or distant cousins in china.

have does not mean must stay connected.

my mother is distancing herself from her elder brother in Hainan coz of personal problems.

We vampires say "Jia Lat"  [dead]

so what's the vampire diction for car "brakes" ?

in Hainan, its "bu-lek" ... direct translation from English !!

have does not mean must stay connected.

my mother is distancing herself from her elder brother in Hainan coz of personal problems.

so what's the vampire diction for car "brakes" ?

in Hainan, its "bu-lek" ... direct translation from English !!

we don't drive car, we have horse carriages . . . brake is "WOAHH"  -_-

Yes, 100% hainanese here. For my family, I am likely the last generation who can speak the dialect. My children all cannot. [laugh]

I think we mostly the 3rd generation still can speak. Our kids 4th generation all dun know liao. If know, they also forget.

Along the same line of thinking..... Malaysian ladies' mothers makes good MIL? :D

I think Malaysian ladies make very good wives.

:D

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1