New 2018 BMW X2 SUV revealed

DACH

Based on the X1, the BMW X2 crossover will slot in beneath the X3 to provide another premium SUV offering

BMW is aiming to fill yet another niche within the ever-growing ranks of premium SUVs with its latest creation: the X2. It has now been revealed in full – ahead of its launch next month.

The X2 is designed to slot in between the entry-level front-drive-based X1 and the larger X3, as a model that focuses more on style than outright practicality. It shares many of its mechanicals with the X1, as well as the MINI Countryman. That means it uses BMW’s UKL2 platform – a chassis that restricts the car to four-cylinder engines but still offers the possibility of four-wheel drive on high-end models and, in theory, plug-in hybrid powertrains.

2bmwx2.jpg?itok=Sub3tC3T

The newcomer sticks admirably close to the looks of the Concept X2 seen at 2016’s Paris Motor Show. It has the same wheelbase as the X1, but shorter overhangs for a dynamic look. Perhaps more significantly, its roofline is a full 70mm lower, making the X2 more of a hatchback than a coupé-SUV. The 470-litre boot is 35 litres smaller than the X1’s.

Other concept car touches to make production include the swept-back lights, the rising window line (incorporating BMW’s signature Hofmeister kink), the ultra-slim hatchback glass and even the BMW badge inset into the C-pillar. Basic SE models get 17-inch wheels, but more expensive trim levels will be available with 20-inch rims.

Despite the platform’s capability, there’s no sign of electrification in the X2 launch line-up. Its range will comprise the two-wheel-drive, petrol-engined sDrive20i, and a pair of four-wheel-drive diesels, badged xDrive20d and xDrive25d. The sDrive20i has 228bhp and 450Nm, and is available only with a seven-speed Steptronic dual-clutch auto transmission. It covers 0-62mph in 6.7 seconds, and emits between 126 and 134g/km of CO2 depending on wheel size.

The diesels are both equipped with an eight-speed auto box. The xDrive20d has 188bhp and 400Nm, but emits between 121 and 126g/km of CO2, while the xDrive25d produces 228bhp and 450Nm, and emits between 133 and 139g/km.

BMW has already confirmed that further engines will join the line-up in early 2018 – two more petrols, and a pair of diesels. The entry-level 138bhp 1.5-litre three-cylinder petrol sDrive18i will join the four-wheel-drive xDrive20i, which has 189bhp. The diesels will be the 148bhp sDrive18d and xDrive18d; the front-drive edition of that variant will be the most efficient X2, with CO2 emissions as low as 119g/km.

The car will be offered in SE, Sport, M Sport and M Sport X specs; the latter command a £3,550 and £4,350 premium over SE models respectively. SE features sat-nav, dual-zone climate control and a power tailgate, while Sport has sports seats and LED lights. M Sport variants get larger wheels and body-coloured side skirts, and M Sport X versions switch some of the design details to grey, for a more off-road-biased look. Confusingly, M Sport and M Sport X models are 10mm lower than regular X2s.

6bmwx2.jpg?itok=_0i2Zeay

Inside, the X2 gets familiar BMW cues, including iDrive and a 6.5-inch infotainment display that’s standard across the range, but which can be upgraded to a similarly sized Touch Control set-up, or an 8.8-inch screen with the same features. A head-up display will also be offered, as an option, along with WiFi hotspot preparation. Apple CarPlay will also be an extra, however, and Android Auto won’t be available.

5bmwx2.jpg?itok=Dm66WUrb

3bmwx2.jpg?itok=FOa2l5s1

4bmwx2.jpg?itok=_m6SbeoR

7bmwx2.jpg?itok=U_B9azvh

8bmwx2.jpg?itok=wfS7yCnM

9bmwx2.jpg?itok=2SerSYwb

10bmwx2.jpg?itok=i_E6S1Sj

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

So now the model line is complete

1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 series

X1,X2,X3,X4,X5,X6,X7

Now just need to complete the i and z series.

Huat ah!

Edited by Douglam

So now the model line is complete

1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 series

X1,X2,X3,X4,X5,X6,X7

Now just need to complete the i and z series.

Huat ah!

Not quite complete. Still missing the 516i. SG's potential best seller of all time ever
  • Praise 2

why's the kidney grilles upside down :huh: .

I know, I know already.  The Merc GLA designer jumped ship to join BMW. 

Oiii calling all hiadee/hiabuays of my Alumni, this is the car to buy.  See you all on this chia in 6 months' time at our ABD AGM.  Trade in your Cheevic and Larnsir for one.  Mai tu liao.

Edited by Ahbengdriver

Not quite complete. Still missing the 516i. SG's potential best seller of all time ever

With 3 cylinder engine  :wacko:  :wacko:

seriously need so many of all these compact mini suvs meh?

this one more like GLA size..

BMW open another mkt for those aunties liao

I have a feeling PML may stop selling the X1 if they bring in this.

Yeah! If it comes luxury mode and comes with all the bells and whistles...why not! I would buy, coz in SG roads dun need powderful cars, drive 20-30 meters traffic light, so no point...

Yeah! If it comes luxury mode and comes with all the bells and whistles...why not! I would buy, coz in SG roads dun need powderful cars, drive 20-30 meters traffic light, so no point...ð

Most importantly comfort and all the passive safety...

Come come 516!! If diesel even better, the torque!! Lovely!!

Once it gets here, I'll set up a Carousell account to sell 530i badges. Sure huat ar. Haha
  • Praise 1

I understand that this car is at PML showroom already but need SE to bring u up as it’s not displayed in public yet, I suppose homologation not done yet.

Anyway it’s being launched at $193888 for 2 litre n 1 variant only for now.

Edited by Spring
  • Praise 5

Oops sorry for the orientation of the pics.

No interior or frontal shots?

Tks anyway!

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4