Israel: safe to drive?

Bluepica

No, not at all. I wouldn't recommend it, especially West Bank, Golan Heights area for obvious reasons.  Go on a tour, with experienced local guides and even armed security in certain areas. [laugh]

• Praise 1

He won't be able to drive into West Bank with a rental car. Rental cars can also stay within Israel-controlled territories, and certainly cannot cross into Jordan.

So which means Jerusalem - Dead Sea - Masada - Tel Aviv is not do able?  [:(]

Tel Aviv, Masada seems fine, but Jerusalem is highly questionable.

It not only about staying within Israel controlled area, but also to avoid Arab-area after dark.

Not really a place you wanna get lost in [laugh]  

It not only about staying within Israel controlled area, but also to avoid Arab-area after dark.

I won't be driving around Jerusalem city, just that i need to rent the car there and get out of the city  [:p]

Actually, it's not a very big place. Tel Aviv to Jerusalem just take a bus or taxi.

Actually I wanted to go to Masada, but the day tour doesn't suit my timing, so thinking of driving there and then head to TLV lo, instead of going back to Jerusalem, save $ too... if that's doable la...

Is this your first time there?

For first timer, I would not recommend that.

Anyone done a road trip in Israel before? Is it safe to self drive?

Actually, the security situation there has often been overplayed by the media.

I have walked in the streets of Jerusalem alone at night before and nothing has happened to me.

In Tel Aviv, an American tourist got stabbed in one of the places I went to a week earlier, in broad daylight.

I transited in Istanbul and it was surreal to see on TV the areas which I was in involved in a terrorist incident.

• Praise 1

Actually, the security situation there has often been overplayed by the media.

I have walked in the streets of Jerusalem alone at night before and nothing has happened to me.

In Tel Aviv, an American tourist got stabbed in one of the places I went to a week earlier, in broad daylight.

I transited in Istanbul and it was surreal to see on TV the areas which I was in involved in a terrorist incident.

Yes, generally feels rather safe, but I wouldn't be in the certain quarters at night.

better be safe than sorry.   [laugh]

Yes, generally feels rather safe, but I wouldn't be in the certain quarters at night.

better be safe than sorry. [laugh]

I guess so... my friend went there recce recently and told me he didn’t feel any threat at all in both modern and old Jerusalem. Even in the Palestinian town of Bethlehem, Jericho and Ramallah, ppl there are helpful and friendly .

So guess should be alright to drive... more over the area I’m driving thru are consider to be Area A, all Israel controlled area should shouldn’t be loiter into restricted area... according to some ppl, there are big warning signage for restricted roads and area.

• Praise 1

I guess so... my friend went there recce recently and told me he didn’t feel any threat at all in both modern and old Jerusalem. Even in the Palestinian town of Bethlehem, Jericho and Ramallah, ppl there are helpful and friendly .

So guess should be alright to drive... more over the area I’m driving thru are consider to be Area A, all Israel controlled area should shouldn’t be loiter into restricted area... according to some ppl, there are big warning signage for restricted roads and area.

Should not be the problems...drove from TeL-Aviv to Caesarea National Park, Haifa, Rosh Hanikru Grottes, Jerusalem and Ein Bokek (Dead Sea resort). Used Google map for navigation. Just stay safe and be alert.

• Praise 1