A New Chapter - Skoda Singapore

Carbon82

I wouldnât bring up Skodaâs past. Not exactly flattering b4 the germans came in and turned thing around.

Donât hv to look too far in sg. Some MCFers here may still be in skool in the 90s but many lao jiaos here would remember how crappy n malu the Skoda Favorit & Rapid was. It was onli marginally better than the Lada Samara n thatâs not saying much...

It’s ok as Lambo also encountered the same reliability n drivable issues before it was taken over
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

I wouldn’t bring up Skoda’s past. Not exactly flattering b4 the germans came in and turned thing around.

Don’t hv to look too far in sg. Some MCFers here may still be in skool in the 90s but many lao jiaos here would remember how crappy n malu the Skoda Favorit & Rapid was. It was onli marginally better than the Lada Samara n that’s not saying much...

Any car from Eastern Bloc back then was crap lah ................... Maybe engineers all from agricultural background  [:p]

Supersonic
(edited)

Any car from Eastern Bloc back then was crap lah ................... Maybe engineers all from agricultural background [:p]

Eastern bloc sibei low standard then. Skodas in the past even made Proton look like a engineering masterpiece....

Told the wifey, maybe can consider buying the Skoda RS245 as a second car. B4 i can say more, she immediately say “crazy ah, buy Skoda?” Lol...bad reputation sibei difficult to shake off.

And i think this is the biggest hurdle for SCS. Bringing in enthusiast cars like the RS245 n pricing it competitively is a step in the right direction to establish street cred. Selling B&B Skoda in sg i tink is an uphill battle tho

Edited by Soya

Eastern bloc sibei low standard then. Skodas in the past even made Proton look like a engineering masterpiece....

Told the wifey, maybe can consider buying the Skoda RS245 as a second car. B4 i can say more, she immediately say “crazy ah, buy Skoda?” Lol...bad reputation sibei difficult to shake off.

And i think this is the biggest hurdle for SCS. Bringing in enthusiast cars like the RS245 n pricing it competitively is a step in the right direction to establish street cred. Selling B&B Skoda in sg i tink is an uphill battle tho

agree. Don't say Skoda lah, all the other similar tiered brands like Opel, Peugeot, Renault, Ford etc also find it tough in B&B. Hatchbacks are not popular in here, small sedans belong to the Asians. Luckily SUVs still can fight. 

• Praise 1

I somehow remembered a joke from my JC history teacher many years ago: qn “how do you double the price of your Skoda?” - ans : “you top it up with petrol...”

• Praise 2

(edited)

that was before VW took over and a dismal quality and butt of jokes.

But it was way tougher than a proton.

After VW bought over and it evolves to today standard of good quality build and no more hand me down previous generation engines, it is now doing much better than VW in some countries.

While I like to believe its VFM proposition is compelling enough to warrant a buy, the prices will creep up soon enough once the people switch over from tomyam and kimchi as well as boy racer who wants a conti where a GT86 /BRZ cant hack it.

Skoda was a top tier brand when it first started under its founders laurin & klement. Like I have mentioned the cars they produced were ultra luxury cars with them costing more than a bungalow. It was a status symbol if you owned one.

Fast forward to 3 years after the world War 2 in 1948 where skoda was nationalized. It became part of the communist planned economy, with that they switch to producing mass market cars under communism. Long gone was the ultra luxury skoda.

In 1991 came along volkswagen and the rest is history.

TLDR: skoda wasn't a dismal quality and butt of jokes when it first started, it was only under the communist that it become this way

I wouldnât bring up Skodaâs past. Not exactly flattering b4 the germans came in and turned thing around.

Donât hv to look too far in sg. Some MCFers here may still be in skool in the 90s but many lao jiaos here would remember how crappy n malu the Skoda Favorit & Rapid was. It was onli marginally better than the Lada Samara n thatâs not saying much...

Skoda past is remarkable before the world War with their cars being a status symbol Edited by Lchong
  • Praise 2

Hi,

Did you try out all the features that the L&K should have from the attached Superb catalogue ? 

Like driver alert, park assist, blind spot detection, camera with rear view detection and so ?

Does it come with lane departure assist like the link below ?

http://assistants.skoda-auto.com/#superb

Cheers

Hello everyone! Newbie here. Collected Superb L&K couple days ago.
I opted for the showroom model, so I guess there’s a high chance many of you have molested, I mean, viewed the exact same model that I’m driving.

In short, the drive is great and I find the build quality good. I’m loving it! Discovering new things about the car (some unexpected) and am enjoying all the bells and whistles that come with it. My favourite aspects in no particular order (so far):

1. Space and comfort - great legroom, massive boot, comfortable drive. My wife dozed off a couple of times already. I toggle DCC between Normal and Comfort mostly. And oh, my son (in his baby car seat) can no longer reach out and kick the back of my seat - hurray!

2. Traffic Jam Assist (with ACC on UK spec) - main reason why I picked the showroom model, if anybody is wondering. My previous ride (a Honda Vezel Hybrid) had ACC with Lane Assist and I liked them to a limited extent. While the Vezel’s was very harsh in acceleration and braking, the Superb’s was smooth and gentle enough that I have no qualms using it during peak hours - semi-autonomous driving FTW! Perhaps if more of you requested, Skoda SG may decide to bring it in on a more permanent basis.

3. Virtual pedal / hatchback tailgate - I thought the hands-free boot opening feature was pretty gimmicky and I probably only got successful 1 time out of 20 when I was viewing/test-driving the car. But I’ve now discovered a technique to be successful pretty much 100% of the time - so all’s good! A brief mention on the hatchback tailgate - it makes loading and unloading stuff that much easier. Plus, the cover that gives privacy to your boot’s contents can be removed, and slots away nicely into a cutout behind the rear seats - damn clever if you ask me (or maybe I just plain sua ku).

4. Entertainment / HU / controls - Columbus system is big, bright and responsive. Many of you probably already know that it is based on a capacitative glass touchscreen like the phones we have - I definitely find it an upgrade from the resistive touchscreens I’ve used. On a side note, I’m glad there are still dials and buttons for fan speed and aircon controls - the ease and tactile feel of physical dials for certain features is still much appreciated. Canton sound system is excellent - I’m no audiophile, but I can appreciate good acoustics and I’m loving the sound of my Spotify music when connected through Apple CarPlay or Bluetooth.

The only issue I have is the customer/technical service which I find can be much improved. However, I’d give them the benefit of the doubt as there’ll be teething issues when rolling out a “new” brand in Singapore. My sales rep is sincere and responsive and I expect management to back him to help resolve my complication. I will not go into details on this issue as it is being resolved as we speak, however, I doubt it is a problem that will affect most of you.

Thought of writing a more detailed review, but am gonna be busy with family and work this weekend. If anyone has any questions, feel free to fire away!

superb (1).pdf

Turbocharged

Hey Guys...

I created a FB page for local owners....  I trying to bring all new and existing owners together.

https://www.facebook.com/SkodaOwnerClubSingapore/

Currently its empty, will try upload some things inside.

Hope you guys can help like it.

There's already an existing FB page with past/present owners in it.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/skodasg/

• Praise 2

The so called visual mockup redering of the 2019 skoda octavia seems to be coming soon

2019-Skoda-Octavia-front-three-quarters-

But if you look at this, seems to be lifted from kimchi similarity

blogentry-133713-0-13675400-1531306611_t

• Praise 1

The so called visual mockup redering of the 2019 skoda octavia seems to be coming soon

2019-Skoda-Octavia-front-three-quarters-

But if you look at this, seems to be lifted from kimchi similarity

blogentry-133713-0-13675400-1531306611_t

Looks far apart leh.

But the mock-up design is nice

If you look closely enough, the old Octavia headlights are also split internally. So i believe it is not really that big a change for ex-owners.

• Praise 1

(edited)

If you look closely enough, the old Octavia headlights are also split internally. So i believe it is not really that big a change for ex-owners.

given a choice. Which would you choose for the front ?

Pic 1

skoda-octavia-vrs-challenge-edition_827x

Pic2 

skoda-octavia-rs-245_827x510_41488949510

Edited by Sdf4786k